Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Hurricane Season

2008 Hurricane Season

Has strengthened into a strong Cat. 4 storm and is expected to strengthen into a Cat. 5 soon. Fox News now has it projected to hit west of New Orleans as a Cat. 4.

"A land strike to the west of New Orleans will place this great city within the most dangerous part of the storm,'' said Jim Rouiller, a senior energy meteorologist with Planalytics Inc., a forecaster based in Wayne, Pennsylvania. Gustav has the potential to generate much more damage than Katrina did.''

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...3kk&refer=home

I wish the best for everyone in that area.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Hurricane Gustav

We're expecting to receive thousands of evacuees from the storm here in San Antonio.

Tropical Storm Hanna is just a few days behind Gustav. It could easily cross Florida and find its way into the Gulf, too.
    /r/reds

There are two other systems out in the Atlantic that are developing. One looks like it will develop into a Tropical Depression soon. It looks like it's going to be a very busy hurricane season. One of the Fox reports said Gustav may the the strongest storm he's seen in his 32 years.

This looks like a big one. My thoughts to any zoners in the path of Gustav. Good luck, people.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    This looks like a big one. My thoughts to any zoners in the path of Gustav. Good luck, people.
    SandyD is on the road now getting out...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    SandyD is on the road now getting out...

I just talked to her. She's going to stay with family in Dallas tonight and her company is putting up their people in Arlington.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It's sad that it takes a hurricane like Katrina to make us aware of what they can do, but great that atleast now we are fully prepared. I hope that we can be in there the second the storm is done to help with relief.

Thinking of you, Sandy ...... and any of you that are down there.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I suppose it's like the boy that cried wolf and there are a thousand other factors.

I'm glad they shut the superdome and made people leave though.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Now she's stuck at a gas station. Can't get to a pump.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Now she's outside of Shreveport. About 3 hours to go.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

This will be one of the great evacuations in history.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

If you want to understand New Orleans' dilemma, go to google earth and look it up. Zoom out and look at the lake north of the city. That's Lake Pontchartrain.

The nightmare scenario discussed for years in the disaster relief community would be if a big hurricane came into New Orleans and made it to that lake.

Many think the entire levee system would collapse and the lake would pour into New Orleans and the surrounding communities.

If that happened, it would be underwater for months. And by underwater, I mean up to two stories in many places.

That scenario would be the end of New Orleans as we know it.

It's looking like Tropical Storm Hanna could hit Florida late next week and move into the Gulf after that. Sheesh.

Turn Off Ads?