Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Hurricane Season

Re: 2008 Hurricane Season

Scary stuff. The last time I remember the NWS using the word death was for Katrina.

The people in this region are in my prayers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ike's record storm surge pushing into Texas

Posted by: JeffMasters, 3:26 PM GMT on September 12, 2008
    Hurricane Ike is closing in on Texas, and stands poised to become one of the most damaging hurricanes of all time. Despite Ike's rated Category 2 strength, the hurricane is much larger and more powerful than Category 5 Katrina or Category 5 Rita. The storm surge from Ike could rival Katrina's, inundating a 200-mile stretch of coast from Galveston to Cameron, Louisiana with waters over 15 feet high. This massive storm surge is due to the exceptional size of Ike. According to the latest wind field estimate (Figure 1), the diameter of Ike's tropical storm and hurricane force winds are 550 and 240 miles, respectively. For comparison, Katrina numbers at landfall were 440 and 210 miles, respectively. As I discussed in yesterday's blog entry, a good measure of the storm surge potential is Integrated Kinetic Energy (IKE). Ike continues to grow larger and has intensified slightly since yesterday, and the hurricane's Integrated Kinetic Energy has increased from 134 to 149 Terajoules. This is 30% higher than Katrina's total energy at landfall. All this extra energy has gone into piling up a vast storm surge that will probably be higher than anything in recorded history along the Texas coast. Storm surge heights of 20-25 feet are possible from Galveston northwards to the Louisiana border. The Texas storm surge record is held by Hurricane Carla of 1961. Carla was a Category 4 hurricane with 145 mph winds at landfall, and drove a 10 foot or higher storm surge to a 180-mile stretch of Texas coast. A maximum storm surge of 22 feet was recorded at Port Lavaca, Texas.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

LOL. I'm watching Fox News and Geraldo Rivera is reporting live from Glaveston. Just as he began talking a huge wave swept him from his feet and knocked him to the ground. Funny stuff. He jumped up and proclaimed himself the new star of Youtube.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 09-12-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    LOL. I'm watching Fox News and Geraldo Rivera is reporting live from Glaveston. Just as he began talking a huge wave swept him from his feet and knocked him to the ground. Funny stuff. He jumped up and proclaimed himself the new star of Youtube.
    Is Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel there? He's usually at all the storm places hanging on for dear life.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Is Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel there? He's usually at all the storm places hanging on for dear life.
    I believe Cantore is in Galveston. I love watching him; he knows his stuff.

I believe Cantore is in Galveston. I love watching him; he knows his stuff.
    http://www.weather.com/multimedia/vi...m=hp_main_tab3

It looks like all the networks will be pulling their correspondents off Galveston Island fairly soon because it's too dangerous. The storm is still 10-12 hours away from landfall and Galveston is already receiving some major flooding.

Apparently there is a fuel freighter trapped about 90 miles off the coast of Galveston carrying 22 people. The coast guard has called off it's attempt to rescue them for now due to 50 foot waves and heavy wind.
    This immediately reminded me of ...

High five!

Maybe his 'stache can hold back the storm surge?

Maybe it will take him out to sea?

As for ships, I have always heard the head out to sea to ride out hurricanes. Is this true?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    As for ships, I have always heard the head out to sea to ride out hurricanes. Is this true?
    I heard this once, as well, and I believe the thinking is that it is a lot safer to take the winds and the waves out in the open sea than it is to risk being slammed into the shore, the dock, rocks, other boats, houses and what have you.
    Makes sense - but I am not sure if it is true.

Just heard that the Coast Guard is attempting to rescue 150 people from rising waters in Galveston.

This is a cool use of technology ...

http://www.livenewscameras.com/map.html

Point of contention.

A reporter was interviewing a resident riding out the storm. He explained that "why run when mother nature will just follow you. You can't hide" on his decision to stay.

The reporter then says "you're deciding to brave it out?"

Brave it out? It's moronic rather than brave.

Turn Off Ads?