Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Hurricane Season

Re: Hurricane Gustav

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Glad to hear your safe Sandy. This is my first hurricane season in Houston and I have been glued to the weather channel and weather underground for a few days now.
    Learn about your area now. Each area has a unique set of problems. Know the problems of your area. Know when and why you might need to evacuate. Know what to expect, how to prepare if you ride out a storm at home. (If you live in Houston for an extended period of time, you will likely choose to ride out some storms.)

How do you like living in Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by robmadden1 View Post
    WDSU channel 6 from New Orleans is on directv exclusively on channel 361 for everyone don't matter what package you have everyone gets it. Its only on I think just for hurricane coverage. After the hurricane is over I think they will drop the channel nationally.
    That is really good to hear. My coworker was on vacation in New York when Katrina hit ... and they couldn't get back. They had no contact with local media while they were gone. She couldn't get the details she wanted from national media. Their interest is general, and she wanted specifics. The local media knew what people wanted to hear.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    Learn about your area now. Each area has a unique set of problems. Know the problems of your area. Know when and why you might need to evacuate. Know what to expect, how to prepare if you ride out a storm at home. (If you live in Houston for an extended period of time, you will likely choose to ride out some storms.)

That is really good to hear. My coworker was on vacation in New York when Katrina hit ... and they couldn't get back. They had no contact with local media while they were gone. She couldn't get the details she wanted from national media. Their interest is general, and she wanted specifics. The local media knew what people wanted to hear.

Another way to get some local coverage from New Orleans is if you have an XM radio their emergency channel 247 is carrying some local New Orleans coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    If you look at the current track in motion on CNN it looks like the storm is taking a jog to the northeast toward Mississippi yet the projected path still has it going to the west of New Orleans.

I hope your house makes it through OK, Sandy.

They don't change the track with every update. And, I heard a meteorologist say we're really past the "forecast" stage, and are pay more attention to actual coordinates.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Luckily, my wife has been here for a bit and knows the drill (she was here for Rita). We are north of the city and off the flood plain so fairly safe here but you never can rule anything out.

So far I like it here. I'm one of the crazy people who like the heat/humidity of the area. Also the area has plenty to keep one busy.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I went and filled the truck with gas because it will probably be $5 a gallon before the end of the week. $75 later, I'm in good shape for a couple weeks.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

the eye-wall looks like it's passing close to grand isle. hurricane force winds just starting to hit nola. They expect the eye wall to make landfall in about 2 hours.

they're expecting storm surge about half of what they originally thought. NOLA area westbank can handle (supposedly) up to 7 ft, and it's expected to reach between 5-8 ft there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I went and filled the truck with gas because it will probably be $5 a gallon before the end of the week. $75 later, I'm in good shape for a couple weeks.
    I'm sure prices will go up.

One of the biggest threats to the oil industry from this storm:
    the two major pipelines that carry the oil pumped offshore pass thru Port Fourchon (near ground zero) and Venice (to the east of landfall, near the mouth of the river.)

If BOTH are shut down for a significant time, we could have some problems.

I have a cousin who just moved back into her house in NOLA last month. We haven't heard from her but my guess is she's in Mississippi right now.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

One of these days one of these idiots who stand out in hurricane force winds is going to get decapitated on live tv by some flying debris.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I have a cousin who just moved back into her house in NOLA last month. We haven't heard from her but my guess is she's in Mississippi right now.
    Hopefully she did evacuate, because these storms are scary even if there's no major damage.

Didn't she live in Lakeview? (that are is just starting to get back on its feet)

So far so good for her area (and mine). I don't think they've had to shut the flood gates in the 17th st canal.

Still a long way to go, tho.

Gustav has just dropped to a category 2 with max winds of 110 MPH just before the eye hits land.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    One of these days one of these idiots who stand out in hurricane force winds is going to get decapitated on live tv by some flying debris.

I don't know why they do that.

I don't know why they do that.

It's turned into a contest.

And it encourages other idiots to do it too.

I can't believe the insurance companies for the networks allow it. Can you imagine the lawsuit if one of them gets maimed or killed?

One roof tile could kill you if it hits you in the head at 75 mph.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Look at all the tropical systems brewing...

Water is topping the Levees in the Ninth Ward per Fox News. They are worried about a loose barge potentially taking out a levee.

Turn Off Ads?