Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Hurricane Season

Re: 2008 Hurricane Season

Here's a great interactive map showing all the activity.

http://www.wunderground.com/wunderma...re=0&ft=0&sl=0

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's an excellent blog from the same site.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Jef...&tstamp=200809
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I really like that site. Both the graphs and the blog.
    It's where I check first for hurricane updates.

Then I listen to our local weathercasters, who are most familiar with our area. They tend to be more accurate in projecting the effects on problem areas.

All of the transmission wires (14 of them) between NOLA metro and Baton Rouge were knocked down. At least one has been restored, and is receiving power. So, they're confident that progress can be made.

Nagin made some ominous comment about a "stealth storm" and hidden damages to infrastructure, but I'm not sure what he means. We'll see.

My coworker lives in Slidell, and the water was about 2 inches and still rising as of yesterday afternoon. The storm still showed some circulation, and was still pulling water in from the gulf. Her home is recently rebuilt since Katrina.

New Orleans is not open yet ... til midnight tonight.

For those who are trying to pass THROUGH New Orleans to the surrounding parishes:

NOPD is stopping them at the border to check IDs of EVERY CAR.

Big traffic backup already, and it will get worse, unless they change their procedures: (like manning the exits rather than blocking the entire Interstate.

Re: Hurricane Gustav

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Hannah looks like it is going to be a fast moving storm. Currently projected to hit around South Carolina Friday night be all the way up to Pennsylvania Saturday night and out of the country by Sunday night. Looks like most of the east coast will get rain this weekend from Hannah but luckily it won't stick around long.

That's odd. I just looked at the forecast for Rock Hill, SC. Which is where I work, it only mentions a 30% chance of slight showers on Friday, and sunny for the remainder of the weekend...
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Ike has developed into a Cat. 1 Hurricane with 80 mph winds.

The path for Hanna keeps shifting now that picture looks like it could skip South Carolina and hit North Carolina and Ike looks like it is headed to the Gulf early next week.

It looks like they are expected Ike to develop into a Cat. 4 before it even reaches the Gulf of Mexico.

Map of Louisiana showing power outages. Only 2 parishes (out of 64) report "normal operations." This is as of 9am this morning.

This was in my email today from Priceline.com: "PriceBreakers: 72% off Hilton Head Island Resorts This Weekend"

I think I will pass.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Interesting thing from work.
    I work at Home Depot, in a small-market, mid-Ohio store. This morning, we are sending out all of our generators to one of the Dayton stores, which in turn is sending practically every generator in the Dayton area to Florida - for Ike. Not to Louisiana for Gustav. Not to the Carolinas for Hanna. To Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Interesting thing from work.
    I work at Home Depot, in a small-market, mid-Ohio store. This morning, we are sending out all of our generators to one of the Dayton stores, which in turn is sending practically every generator in the Dayton area to Florida - for Ike. Not to Louisiana for Gustav. Not to the Carolinas for Hanna. To Florida.
    Is it possible that other Home Depots are sending generators to those other regions. Perhaps to Lousinana from Texas and to South Carolina from Virginia?
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Is it possible that other Home Depots are sending generators to those other regions. Perhaps to Lousinana from Texas and to South Carolina from Virginia?
    I certainly hope so.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Ike seems to be heading for where RFS62 and I live. Fortunately, still lots of time for track to change. Wilma was a big mess back in '05.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Ike seems to be heading for where RFS62 and I live. Fortunately, still lots of time for track to change. Wilma was a big mess back in '05.
    Hopefully it misses you guys. If it holds the current path it will cross into the Gulf and hit around Mississippi.

Turn Off Ads?