Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Hurricane Season

Re: Hurricane Gustav

The good news is it appears the storm will stay a powerful Cat. 3 instead of intensifying into a Cat. 4 or 5.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think a lot of the problems after Katrina was communications among the various agencies on all levels. That's improved a lot from what I hear ... at least prior to the storm.

Now, those of us who are evacuated are having cell phone service problems.

The holiday weekend made a big difference this time as well, I think.

BTW,

I haven't unpacked. I'm planning on going home by the end of the week.

Thought some of you might find this interesting.

Lafitte's unofficial command center: the shrimp boat "Mister Jug"
    by Chris Kirkham, The Times-Picayune
    Sunday August 31, 2008, 6:29 PM
    Just off Privateer Boulevard in the hamlet of Jean Lafitte, Ronald Dufrene and a small crew of shrimpers are bedding down for Hurricane Gustav in the safest place they know: the cockpit of the hulking trawler "Mister Jug."

With 10,000 gallons of drinking water in the hull, two satellite television sets and a freezer full of filleted catfish and steaks, the 98-foot shrimp boat is the unofficial emergency operations center for this historic, but vulnerable fishing village.
    http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index....ommand_ce.html

Quote Originally Posted by robmadden1 View Post
    webcast radio coverage may have to join site to listen: http://den-a.plr.liquidcompass.cc/et...rlight&btr=low

wwl.com

During the storm (and during the evac) this station takes callers from different places asking what they are experiencing. It can be interesting.

Still a Cat. 3 but the storm has slowed down a bit.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    During the storm (and during the evac) this station takes callers from different places asking what they are experiencing. It can be interesting.
    When I was visiting Ohio this summer, I was able to pick up the station at night on 870 AM. I've been listening to it here for the last couple of nights. The first-person accounts can be gripping.
    /r/reds

the first person accounts DURING the storm are most certainly gripping.

The projected path at this point seems to be far enough west that I feel better about the eastbank (where the french quarter is, where my home and Alfred's home are). Still, the westbank is quite vulnerable, as are the smaller, less populated places in the "bayou country" and the river parishes. (just up river from New Orleans.)
    Last edited by SandyD; 08-31-2008 at 11:08 PM.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Glad to hear your spirit is okay and that you're in communication with the outside world. I am in Alfred's former home city today (sunny and clear), and the thought of hurricane weather and people in peril seems unthinkable. My best to everyone in the region, including the two of you.
    Stick to your guns.

If you look at the current track in motion on CNN it looks like the storm is taking a jog to the northeast toward Mississippi yet the projected path still has it going to the west of New Orleans.

I hope your house makes it through OK, Sandy.

This is the area most threatened. It's a pretty good image ... you can see all the water ways the storm surge can push thru, with little resistance.

My home is between "Metairie" and "Destrahan", fairly close to the lake, which is along the top edge. Elevation of my house ... +3 ft.

Alfred's home is farther east ... and higher ... in an area known as "the sliver by the river."
    Last edited by SandyD; 08-31-2008 at 11:30 PM.

Good luck to you, Sandy. It's good to hear you're safe at least.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Glad to hear your safe Sandy. This is my first hurricane season in Houston and I have been glued to the weather channel and weather underground for a few days now.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

WDSU channel 6 from New Orleans is on directv exclusively on channel 361 for everyone don't matter what package you have everyone gets it. Its only on I think just for hurricane coverage. After the hurricane is over I think they will drop the channel nationally.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Glad to hear your spirit is okay and that you're in communication with the outside world. I am in Alfred's former home city today (sunny and clear), and the thought of hurricane weather and people in peril seems unthinkable. My best to everyone in the region, including the two of you.
    Thanks.

I'm shocked so many people evacuated. It's a good thing this happened over a weekend. They've called mandatory evacuations for coastal residents from Mobile to extreme east Texas.

Turn Off Ads?