Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Hurricane Season

Re: Hurricane Gustav

the people that live there are mostly smart, and likely mostly left.

Also, they are hearty, and live close to the water. So they'll know how to get out, if it's possible.

2. Turn Off Ads?

But Bill Nungesser, president of Louisiana's Plaquemines parish, said two levees in his district 55 miles (90 kilometers) southeast of New Orleans were about to burst.

"We have sandbags coming but are fighting a losing battle," he told a local radio station, adding to remaining residents: "Get out, and get out now."

About 21,500 people live in Plaquemines on a Gulf coast peninsula. At least 2,000 residents who live on its west bank decided to ride out the storm, Nungesser said.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...5KJU6mZybS8sUw

Just heard Gov Jindall's press conference:

A large percentage of people in south Louisiana from Lafayette and Alexandria eastward are without power. Much of Kenner is without power and water, but limited flooding.

Jindall mentioned some unconfirmed reports of levee overtopping/breaches in the Chauvin area, near where Gustav made landfall.

There are 4 (I think) Black Hawk helicopters headed out to work search and rescue. Not many reports from that area yet.

(not from the press conference): Jindall has asked Bush to release some unspecified amount of the oil reserves to assist the area. Gulf oil rigs are completely shutdown. Port Fourchon is not yet reporting, but they do expect quite a bit of damage. There are oil pipelines, etc. The oil refineries have about a 3 day supply, and you know everyone will need to fill up when they get back to the area.

Water level in the lake is still rising, which means water levels elsewhere is also.

The refinery in Baton Rouge (Exxon) is performing a "warm shut down." Baton Rouge was kind of hard hit for being so far inland.

Yet another tropical wave has rolled off Africa and is right behind TS Ike. Unbelievable. There are two active hurricane, one tropical storm, one well defined wave that is expected to develop into a depression anytime now, and two other systems with low potential of developing. This is the most active week I've seen in terms of tropical systems developing.

Good news... it appears the Plaquemines levee is no longer a threat to breach as the water has receded a bit.

water is still rising in Lake Pontchartrain.

They've closed the 17th st canal levee

The Meteorologist on MSNBC says Tropical Storm Ike will most likely enter the Gulf sometime next week.

Power is on at my house ... I just called my home phone and the ans mach picked up.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure it ever went out, because I couldn't get thru. Cell phones aren't working consistently.

any RZ'rs in Hannah's path?

we desperately need the rain here in north Georgia. For the past couple of years, we've heard that the only way to break the drought cycle that we're in is to have multiple tropical storms wash through here. Looks like Fay may have started the party.

My in-laws live about 1/4 mile from the harbor in Charleston. They may be paying us a visit towards the end of the week.
    Last edited by 15fan; 09-02-2008 at 09:04 AM.

yeah, Charleston is low as well. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

I've heard that about your water/drought issue in GA. Hopefully it will breaks soon, without too much damage.

As of 3pm, the power is out in my office bldg. So, for now, I'm still here in Arlington TX, doing what I can to keep the company running.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    yeah, Charleston is low as well. Hopefully it won't be too bad.
    yep. low is right. and the drainage is nonexistant.

at this point, they're hoping that the storm doesn't get much stronger than a cat 1, and that it comes ashore at low tide.

Hope so too.

There's still coastal flood warnings in south louisiana,

Hannah looks like it is going to be a fast moving storm. Currently projected to hit around South Carolina Friday night be all the way up to Pennsylvania Saturday night and out of the country by Sunday night. Looks like most of the east coast will get rain this weekend from Hannah but luckily it won't stick around long.

Turn Off Ads?