Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Saturday August 30th minor league updates

Re: Saturday August 30th minor league updates

Dragons ailing heading into playoffs

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Sunday, August 31, 2008

DAYTON Even before the game began, the Dragons were in trouble Saturday, Aug. 30.

First, during routine end-of-season physicals, it was discovered left fielder Keltavious Jones was suffering from a so-far unknown ailment, and he was put on the disabled list.

Jones, who said he had not felt well for the last two weeks and lost 10 pounds during that time (he's 5-foot-9 and now weighs 150), was replaced on the roster by Anthony Gressick, who has not played since July 5 with a wrist injury.

Meanwhile, Jones went to the doctor's office for blood tests.

While he was gone, third baseman/designated hitter Neftali Soto was scratched from the starting lineup because he felt ill.

Then Dayton starter Juan Rafael walked two ahead of Alex Avila's three-run homer in the first, and the Dragons as a team didn't feel so well on the way to a 7-3 loss to West Michigan's Whitecaps at Fifth Third Field, a not-so good tuneup for the playoffs, which begin Wednesday.

"We're trying to win these ball games, but we're also trying to win the playoffs," Dragons manager Donnie Scott said. "I didn't think (starting pitcher Juan Rafael) was into it. I know we clinched a playoff spot, and who cares about these (last regular-season) games? But I don't think you can turn the switch on and off.

"I expected a day of being flat (Friday), but we don't have time for that. We have to get ready."

Only two games remain for that, tonight and Monday afternoon. Then the Dragons take a day off before the playoffs begin Wednesday.

Dragons tales

As expected, left-hander Jeremy Horst will be held back from his final start Monday so he can lead the Dragons into the playoffs Wednesday. Horst, who began the season in the bullpen, has been the team's best pitcher of late, finishing the regular season at 8-2 with a 2.38 ERA.

Enerio Del Rosario will pitch the second game of the playoff series with Lansing, followed by Luis Montano if the team keeps winning.

West Michigan would have rights to two games in the second playoff round if the Whitecaps face Dayton, but wants to play the first game at their suburban Grand Rapids location if that happens, with the Dragons hosting Game 2 and the third game, if necessary.

Jones, who began the season as an extra outfielder and became a starter, finished with a .251 batting average, five homers and 25 RBIs. Gressick, who was a pitcher last season, converted to outfield and was hitting .224 with three homers and four RBIs in limited action earlier this year.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spdragons.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

OK, I attended the Sarasota game last night to get my only glimpse of Yonder for the year. I was also hoping I might see Buck or Carrol starting, and Stewart in relief. Only the Yonder part came thru. Although I did get to see Gil which was interesting.

Yonder - Stocky kid. I'd be shocked if they ever tried him at any position other than 1st. As evidenced by his 2 walks, he makes the pitcher work. His one hit was sharp ground ball. His one out was a deep line drive to straight center that CF make outstanding catch on. After the catch, Yonder stood between 1st and 2nd and stared at him, doing that "can't believe you caught that" look.

As far as fielding I don't recall any fair ground balls that he fielded. There were 2 scoops needed on throws to 1st and he got both, and a foul ground ball he made a nice play on. There was also a smash down the 1st base line that went for a double. Not sure if anyone could have gotten to it.

Jerry Gil was interesting. Best I could tell, all he was throwing was fastballs and changeups. And he was very fast and when he threw strikes the hitters were having trouble hitting him. But.......................

He was wild. Crazy wild, Nuke Laroosh wild. He'd throw one perfect and the next would be so high and wide the catcher could only tip it as it went by and it shot up into the stands. I think he'll still be in High A to start next season.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 08-31-2008 at 10:31 AM.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Thanks for the report Jax!

Thanks for the report Jax.

Turn Off Ads?