Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bats' Stubbs hot on Jay Bruce's heels

Re: Bats' Stubbs hot on Jay Bruce's heels

I love the word potential. It's the catchall for maybe he could even though he never has.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I love the word potential. It's the catchall for maybe he could even though he never has.
    Nobody has ever done it until they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Nobody has ever done it until they do it.
    Ask the Rangers about Ruben Mateo's potential. Sometimes overhyped is just that. I remember when Todd Van Poppel was the next Nolan Ryan. At least until he wasn't.

Ask the Rangers about Ruben Mateo's potential. Sometimes overhyped is just that. I remember when Todd Van Poppel was the next Nolan Ryan. At least until he wasn't.
    And Nolan Ryan wasn't Nolan Ryan until he was. Before that he was a kid with a lot of potential. Having potential is not a bad thing. It sure has heck beats not having any.

Drew Stubbs developing in the next year or two into a plus CF would be huge for the Reds. I'm hoping he does it and proves me completely wrong and I was one of those people who thought he would never develop into the hitter needed to play full time in the majors. I was never absolute in that assertion, but I was in the camp that thought that was the strongest likelihood. I sincerely hope he becomes a perrenial all star.

But I'm surprised at the level of certainty to which some are scoffing at the skeptics now, as if a couple of good months in AAA proves them wrong. It's encouraging that he's improved as he's been moved up and I hope it continues. But yes, sample sizes are very relevant here. These two months are encouraging, nothing more, IMO. There's till plenty of reason for skepticism and I'll wait until he does it for at least another half season in AAA before I'm ready to say he'll be a plus major leaguer.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Drew Stubbs developing in the next year or two into a plus CF would be huge for the Reds. I'm hoping he does it and proves me completely wrong and I was one of those people who thought he would never develop into the hitter needed to play full time in the majors. I was never absolute in that assertion, but I was in the camp that thought that was the strongest likelihood. I sincerely hope he becomes a perrenial all star.

But I'm surprised at the level of certainty to which some are scoffing at the skeptics now, as if a couple of good months in AAA proves them wrong. It's encouraging that he's improved as he's been moved up and I hope it continues. But yes, sample sizes are very relevant here. These two months are encouraging, nothing more, IMO. There's till plenty of reason for skepticism and I'll wait until he does it for at least another half season in AAA before I'm ready to say he'll be a plus major leaguer.
    probably the most reasonable post in this thread on either side. Well stated.

probably the most reasonable post in this thread on either side. Well stated.
    Everything is imbellished when it's controversial. For everybody who's saying Stubbs in the next greatest thing (comparing him to Bruce!?!), there's somebody who wrote him off after his first season at Billings.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

I guess it is all in the perception of the reader. I saw absolutely no scoffing going on in this thread or any other.

The only camps I see (in this thread and all other Drew Stubbs threads) are the one that says it is way too early to label Drew Stubbs a bust and the one that has done so since he was drafted.

I also am skeptical about Drew Stubbs going forward, but I'm also enough of an optimist to believe that potential is not a dirty word.
    Last edited by puca; 09-10-2008 at 12:42 PM.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post

The only camps I see (in this thread and all Drew Stubbs threads) are the one that says it is way too early to label Drew Stubbs a bust and the one that has done so since he was drafted.
    There is a rather large camp that echo's MWM, and it's present on most of the Stubbs theads as well. Its the "Hope he is the CF of the future, but just haven't seen enough from the guy (based on age/level/production) yet to believe it will come to pass."

Stubbs in AAA had done well enough to raise a few eyebrows, but it's too short a run (IMO) to anoint him as the Reds answer to CF. He is however, progressing a bit faster than I would have suspected.

GL

Turn Off Ads?