Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Carroll suspended 50 games for testing positive for PEDs

Scott Carroll suspended 50 games for testing positive for PEDs

Reds Righthander Fails Test For PEDs

Posted Sep. 9, 2008 5:06 pm by Matt Eddy
    Filed under: Suspensions

Reds righthander Scott Carroll, a third-round pick from Missouri State in 2007, tested positive for human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), a performance-enhancing substance, and received a 50-game suspension that will take effect at the start of the 2009 season.

Carroll, 23, finished the season with high Class A Sarasota, where he went 6-5, 3.51 in 14 games (12 starts). He struck out 58, walked 21 and surrendered two home runs in 82 innings in the Florida State League. Carroll opened the year with low Class A Dayton, for whom he went 1-2, 3.75 in nine starts, with 24-16 K-BB in 48 innings.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Scott Carroll suspended 50 games for testing positive for PEDs

Well thats disappointing.

It's amazing that players continue to do this stuff when they know they are most likely going to get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well thats disappointing.
    Very disappointing.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

hcg

Perhaps he wasn't using performance enhancing drugs. He may just be pregnant.

Re: hcg

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Perhaps he wasn't using performance enhancing drugs. He may just be pregnant.
    Reminds me of that one episode of GREY'S ANATOMY. Oh yeah, and of course, JUNIOR (the Schwarzenegger movie, not the erstwhile Reds OF).
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Guys, I'm his brother and I assure you he didn't do anything wrong. He had independent blood work done by the Reds and by his doctor and neither contained HCG. The organization is fully behind him and they're working to try and find a way to appeal it. He is so shook up about this, I feel terrible for him because he's such a great kid.

Do you know you have to inject this specific drug? It can't be ingested orally because apparently the liver rejects it. So, ever the Reds doctor isn't sure what's going on. None of it make sense. The doctors said this particular compound shows up naturally in people that have testicular cancer, so he is going to be tested for that. There is a history in the family of it occurring.

So, I know it's easy to look at this and say what you want, but I assure you my brother is not a cheater and did absolutely nothing wrong.

Guys, I'm his brother and I assure you he didn't do anything wrong. He had independent blood work done by the Reds and by his doctor and neither contained HCG. The organization is fully behind him and they're working to try and find a way to appeal it. He is so shook up about this, I feel terrible for him because he's such a great kid.

Do you know you have to inject this specific drug? It can't be ingested orally because apparently the liver rejects it. So, ever the Reds doctor isn't sure what's going on. None of it make sense. The doctors said this particular compound shows up naturally in people that have testicular cancer, so he is going to be tested for that. There is a history in the family of it occurring.

So, I know it's easy to look at this and say what you want, but I assure you my brother is not a cheater and did absolutely nothing wrong.
    Thanks a lot for posting that. Good luck to Scott and the whole family -- must be a difficult time for you guys.

hopefully it was just a bad test and he doesn't have testicular either... Let's pray for the cancer part, baseball is only going to be the first half of his life his kids are there for his whole like.

Quote Originally Posted by mumike View Post

Thanks for the post. I hope it works out in the end and Scott proves his innocence. I especially hope the cancer test comes back negative.

My apologies for making light of the situation. I hope everything turns out okay.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    My apologies for making light of the situation. I hope everything turns out okay.
    No need to apologize, I certainly didn't mean it to sound that way. I know how it must look like and I don't fault people for thinking it. He's just so embarrassed and feels so frustrated, knowing that he didn't do anything wrong.

From what we can gather from his agent, 63 players were suspended and 55 or so of them related to this HCG substance. Surely that's not normal.

Anyway, I'll try and keep you updated. Hopefully it all gets worked out. If not, Scotty faces an uphill battle. 50 games, when you're trying to make a name for yourself, will surely be a setback.

Thanks for the post. I knew that Carroll's brother posted on here but I couldn't remember what username you went by. I really hope the cancer test comes back negative. Please keep us updated if you hear anything.

Thanks for the update, Mike. Let's hope cancer is not the explanation and that, in any event, Scott gets cleared.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It's amazing that players continue to do this stuff when they know they are most likely going to get caught.
    How do we know PED abuse isn't more widespread, with positive tests being a rarity due advancements in cloaking detection?

I'd imagine this to be a closer embodiment of the current environment, rather than predominately clean players with the occasional rogue user.

With that said, I hope what Scott's brother said proves to be true and he's quickly exonerated.

Turn Off Ads?