Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bats' Stubbs hot on Jay Bruce's heels

Re: Bats' Stubbs hot on Jay Bruce's heels

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Me 3. I don't think anyone can argue that he "regressed" this year. He certainly improved, but just how that would translate to the major league level is the million dollar question.

Anyone think he'll get the call to the Reds? I actually wouldn't be surprised if it happens, though I'm not necessarily sure I'd call him up.
    Protect the 40 man roster, Stubbs isn't eligible for the Rule V. Send him home, with an invite to spring training.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Stubbs won't get called up. He is in the AAA playoffs and playing in the AFL.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    sample size works both ways.
    LOL

TRF just can't let it go.

For a guy who 'just had a hot April and sucked the rest of the of year', Stubbs has certainly put together a nice final tally. Elite defense, a 370+ OBP, and 30+ SB are some pretty nice qualities to see out of your future centerfielder. He even showed a little bit of pop late in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    LOL

TRF just can't let it go.

For a guy who 'just had a hot April and sucked the rest of the of year', Stubbs has certainly put together a nice final tally. Elite defense, a 370+ OBP, and 30+ SB are some pretty nice qualities to see out of your future centerfielder. He even showed a little bit of pop late in the year.
    It's one thing to debate Drew and his abilities. I'm just confused with someone openly trying to squash anything good he does. It's not like he plays for the Cubs does he? Why would someone look up 21 at bats just to disparage Stubbs on a Reds website?

Weird.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Longest Stubbs thread in Redszone history without someone using the L word.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Lanky?
    Longevity?
    Long Homeruns?
    Louisville Centerfielder?

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Honestly I have gotten what TRF has said all along. I don't agree 100% with him but he does have a good point in that he hasn't really stayed at any higher level long enough for the opposition to exploit his weaknesses.

So again we must tune in later to find out the results. If he doesn't get dealt this off-season which I can honestly see happening. Walt lifted him to AA and then to AAA quickly and now he is going to the AFL for some "grooming" (uhum exposure). If he does well in the AFL I expect him to be some fine bait for good 'ole Mr. Jocketty. If he doesn't do well there I expect to see him back at Louisville for the next chapter in this continuing saga.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Honestly I have gotten what TRF has said all along. I don't agree 100% with him but he does have a good point in that he hasn't really stayed at any higher level long enough for the opposition to exploit his weaknesses.

So again we must tune in later to find out the results. If he doesn't get dealt this off-season which I can honestly see happening. Walt lifted him to AA and then to AAA quickly and now he is going to the AFL for some "grooming" (uhum exposure). If he does well in the AFL I expect him to be some fine bait for good 'ole Mr. Jocketty. If he doesn't do well there I expect to see him back at Louisville for the next chapter in this continuing saga.
    And really that's all i have been saying.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    15-3 | 2.60 | 190 | 216 | 72

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Ryan Howard was still in AAA when he was 25 years old. If you want to judge a prospect based on his age at a level, Drew Stubbs is a better prospect than Ryan Howard was.
    I see what you're getting at, but Ryan Howard hit 48 homers between double a, triple a, and the majors at age 24. The Phillies, being the horrible organization they are, let him fester in the minors for half of his 25-year-old season.

I'll eat my gym socks if Drew Stubbs hits 48 homers next year. He ain't no Ryan howard.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I'll eat my gym socks if Drew Stubbs hits 48 homers next year. He ain't no Ryan howard.
    That makes two of us, but no one is saying Drew Stubbs is Ryan Howard, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. People keep bringing up the age issue, but it's not always as black-and-white as people paint it.

Ryan Howard in CF would be an amusing sight.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    That makes two of us, but no one is saying Drew Stubbs is Ryan Howard, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. People keep bringing up the age issue, but it's not always as black-and-white as people paint it.
    No it isn't. Here is what is black and white. At the time he was drafted, a toolsy OF wasn't a glaring need. The team had just drafted Jay Bruce the year before. At the time he was drafted, he was considered a "project". He was considered "raw" (despite having played ball at a higher level that the previous year's #1, Bruce, and for three years longer too.) Apparently, he was immediately hurt, didn't hit at Billings, didn't hit at Dayton until the last two months. He got off to a FANTASTIC start at Sarasota, and followed it with two HORRIBLE months. This pattern repeated itself at AA albeit with a smaller sample, then at AAA with an even smaller sample.

Not since Low A have we seen how Stubbs adjusts after pitchers have adjusted to him. Hot on Buce's heels? No. Overpromoted without offensive merit? Yes. Defensively he might indeed be great, yet I doubt any poster has seen him defensively more than a dozen times.

And yet I read over and over that some posters (not doug) actually want to see the Reds call him up now that L'ville's season is over. Ridiculous. right now he'd be lucky to hit as well as Patterson, and would NOT be a defensive upgrade. I see four Scenarios for Stubbs (the same four for any prospect i guess)
    1. He has a hot spring, forces the Reds' hand and wins the CF job. From there he either shines or tanks offensively.
    2. He spends half or all of next year in AAA, dominates and plays for the Reds/some other team late in the year.
    3. Has a good/bad AFL and is dealt with accordingly. (bad, pushed back to AA? good, starts at AAA)
    4. He's traded this offseason in a big package for need (LF, SP)
    Barring any outside move my fear is #1 happens. And frankly there is too much uncertainty with that scenario. I prefer #2 or #4. Stubbs has value as long as he's perceived to have value. And there is nothing wrong with that. I worry that the Reds see him as a cornerstone to their future. I see him as Gary Matthews Jr. with more range and less pop.

I don't really like Gary Matthews Jr.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Drew Stubbs would both hit and field better than Corey Patterson right now. He actually swings a bat with purpose, knows when to lay off pitches for the most part and he is a better fielder than Patterson is (those who disagree, I think you have yet to watch Drew Stubbs in person because you don't know what you are missing).

If you want to someone that's really fun to watch, you need to see Chris Heisey
    in person. He gets to everything. He making diving catches every where. He makes
    catches while slamming into the wall. He was the most exciting OF that I
    saw this year in Sarasota or Chattanooga.

Turn Off Ads?