Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wilkin Castillo up...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Wilkin Castillo up...

Today the Reds recalled from Class AAA Louisville C/IF/OF Wilkin Castillo (#26) and optioned to Class A Sarasota RHP Ramon Ramirez.

Castillo, 24, was acquired on 8/14 as a PTBNL in the 8/11 trade that sent OF Adam Dunn to Ari…in 115g at Class AAA Tucson and Louisville he combined to hit .248 and appeared in 54g at C, 5g at 2B, 48g at 3B, 6g at SS and 8g in LF...when he plays will be making his Major League debut.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wilkin Castillo up...

Castillo, Bako, Hanigan, Votto, and Valetine. At one time or another one of these players was a catcher or still is. I really hope this team is getting rid of Bako soon. Just keep Javy as a pinch hitter/1st baseman and what not.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Does the fact that Ramirez was optioned to A instead of AAA to help out in the playoffs mean we will be seeing him back very shortly?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I guess we need that extra position player before tomorrow when the rosters expand?

Wilkin Castillo
    Bats: Both, Throws: Right
    Height: 6'0", Weight: 170 lbs
    Born: June 1, 1984
    Code:
    TCN PCL AAA ARI 
    POS 	G
    C 	51 
    3B 	41 
    LF 	7 
    SS	6  
    2B	4  

2008 24 LOU INT AAA CIN 
    POS 	G
    3B 	7 
    C 	3 
    2B 	1 
    LF 	1 

LOU INT AAA CIN .190 .209 .190 .399 
    TCN PCL AAA ARI .254 .305 .358 .663
    http://minors.baseball-reference.com...s.cgi?pid=2478

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I guess we need that extra position player before tomorrow when the rosters expand?
    Castillo needs to get the first game of sitting on the bench under his belt so he can be prepared for sitting on the bench for the rest of September.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Castillo needs to get the first game of sitting on the bench under his belt so he can be prepared for sitting on the bench for the rest of September.

love it
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    Does the fact that Ramirez was optioned to A instead of AAA to help out in the playoffs mean we will be seeing him back very shortly?
    Yes. A player who is sent down has to stay down for 10 days, unless the minor-league club's season ends before that time period. Today is Sarasota's last game of the season, so Ramirez can be recalled tomorrow. My guess is that he is on Sarasota's roster in name only, and he is still in Cincinnati.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Guess they wanted to make sure Castillo was eligible for the playoffs.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Guess they wanted to make sure Castillo was eligible for the playoffs.
    I guess they wanted Castillo for this game more than a pitcher who couldn't pitch today.

Wilkin Castillo is not a household name, but manager Dusty Baker thinks of him as several kitchen utensils rolled into one.

Castillo is a catcher by name, but also plays first baseball, second base, shortstop, third base, left field and right field — and wouldn’t it be easier to say he plays everything but pitcher and center field?

“He’s Eli Marrero, that’s who he is,” said Baker. Marrero played 10 years in the majors, mostly with the St. Louis Cardinals, and was a catcher/first baseman/outfielder.

Castillo, 24, was called up Sunday from Class AAA Louisville, where he has been since the Reds acquired him in the August 14 trade of Adam Dunn to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

He combined to hit .248 at Class AAA Tucson and Louisville, but the big thing is that he caught 54 games, played 48 games at third, five games at second, six games at shorstop and eight games in left field.

“I had to have another player because I played a man short yesterday (Saturday) and I didn’t want to be another man short today (Sunday), especially for the outfield,” said Baker. “I was short Saturday.” To make room, pitcher Ramon Rameriz, who was outstanding in his major-league debut Saturday, was optioned to Class A Sarasota.

It it a procedural move, a paper shuffle. Ramirez didn’t actually go to Sarasota. The SaraReds season is over and Ramirez will return to the Reds roster Tuesday when it can be expanded from 25 to as many as 40.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...incinnatireds/

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Castillo, Bako, Hanigan, Votto, and Valetine. At one time or another one of these players was a catcher or still is. I really hope this team is getting rid of Bako soon. Just keep Javy as a pinch hitter/1st baseman and what not.
    I know folks keep pointing this out, but can we make an effort to get Valentin's name correct? It will be great to say he's no longer with the team, but he's not Valentine (who never wants played catcher, but was an erstwhile pitcher). Valentin.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    No. out with Valentin, too. He is a total waste of bench space. And he's not a very good pinch hitter. I doubt we'll see him back anyway.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I know folks keep pointing this out, but can we make an effort to get Valentin's name correct? It will be great to say he's no longer with the team, but he's not Valentine (who never wants played catcher, but was an erstwhile pitcher). Valentin.
    Ah, there's one of life's little bites on the butt. Complain about spelling but use the wrong word in the complaint. ('wants' in place of 'once') :

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    No. out with Valentin, too. He is a total waste of bench space. And he's not a very good pinch hitter. I doubt we'll see him back anyway.
    That'll work too. I'd just assume bet rid of both. Maybe one of the young guys can finally get some at bats.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Turn Off Ads?