Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the error be overturned and ruled a hit?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was an error and CC should be awarded the no-hitter

9 27.27%
  • No, it was correctly scored a hit

10 30.30%
  • It was an error, but CC should not be awarded a no-hitter since ruling it a hit changed the dynamics of the remainder of the game

14 42.42%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of CC's "no-hitter"

What do you think of CC's "no-hitter"

Ned Yost seems pretty fired up by this. I'd rule it as a hit on an ordinary play...but an unwritten rule is that the first hit of a game needs to be a solid hit in case of this sort of thing happening.

I know I shouldn't think like this, but being that it is CC, and being it was in the 5th inning of a no-no...I'd have ruled the play an error.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280831123

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What do you think of CC's "no-hitter"

If he fields it cleanly he's out at first base IMO, so I'd rule it an error.

I believe it would be called a hit 90% of the time.......probably no one would have said a word if it were not the only one. A bummer for CC but I would have said hit too.
    Let's play two!!!

Hit. CC threw a heck of a one hitter.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

It's pretty clearly an error in my book. But bottom line, if CC wanted the no-no, he should have made the play.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Error, but since he made the error count it as a hit.
    Go Gators!

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Error. Whether there was a no-hitter or not, that's an error.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

If you watch the replay of the play, Sabathia grabbed for the ball and was in throwing position while LaRoche was still 30+ feet from first base. LaRoche would have been out by five feet if Sabathia had fielded it cleanly. It's clearly an error in my opinion. Official scoring around major league baseball has become a joke. Just look at recent Reds games for an example. Brandon Phillips botched a groundball on Friday night yet it was ruled a hit in order to keep Phillips error total down. Last weekend Aaron Cook was credited with a bunt single when he would have been out by 20 feet if Bako had made a decent throw. I wish MLB would do something about it.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Error. I said it before I knew the circumstances. I stand by it.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Sign him, Bob.

Do it.

That's a clear Error.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

They won't change it.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Agreed, Chip, but I just looked at it again. It's an error, but it was Pittsburgh where the embarrassment of a no-no is too much for them to bear after a 10-game losing streak. Simply shameful. Regardless, a wonderful game for CC. Human error and it's something I hope is never taken out of baseball.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 09-01-2008 at 12:18 AM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

From the ESPN article this sentence is key...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280831123

Despite the Brewers' protests, the play in question is routinely called a hit and fielders often get angry when they are called for errors on easier plays.

That is a true statement. The premise behind it may be incorrect, but to watch that play...that same play is many,many times called a hit. If the play happened in the Reds-Giants game today there would not be a second thought about it had it been ruled either way. However, in a no-no situtation or even in the first inning where this play would be the first hit of a game, the official scorer must use discretion, and on a borderline play like this...call it an error.

And that said...human error is part of baseball, love it or hate it. I don't want to open the proverbial can of worms and have MLB overrule the scorer on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Sign him, Bob.

Do it.
    Yes, let's sign the overweight pitcher currently throwing 500 pitches a game, which he will probably be doing well into October.

Oh, wait, Bob - do NOT do this.

Turn Off Ads?