Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next year Chat could be a very good team

Next year Chat could be a very good team

Next year Chat could be a very good team.

1. Yonder Alonso, 1b
    2. Todd Frazier, 3b or lf
    3. Neftali Soto, 3b or lf
    4. Chris Valaika, 2b
    5. Juan Francisco RF?

This is a pretty good start for an everyday team in the minors.

All of these guys will either start @ AA or A+. I think having Soto and Alonso together is a good idea as they may be teammates for a long time here in the Nati. If they turn out as good as advertised they could man the corners for 10 years. Frazier and Soto could flip/flop I donít know who is the better defensive 3d or lfer as the Reds will be forced to figure this out soon. Francisco and Valaika are not bad prospects either with Francisco likely starting at AA with Valaika maybe going to AA.

The others

Devin Mesoraco, 20, C, A
    Zach Cozart, 22, SS, A
    Brandon Waring, 22, 3B, A

I donít know as much about these guys as needed to make an informed opinion but each may and should be bumped one level next year.

The future is looking good with these guys only 2 to 3 years out from the big club when you add in Votto, Bruce, Philips, and hope Stubbs continues to come on and we could be a very good team in 5 years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Next year Chat could be a very good team

Soto and Mesoraco will probably start in Sarasota and Valaika probably in Louisville.

...if the Reds stay in Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    ...if the Reds stay in Chat
    Where else?

Yea I figured they would be spread among A+ and AA but if Soto plays the same next year as this then he only will play 1/2 in A+. Also Yonder might start in A+ also.

I think Soto and Yonder could be the foundation at the corners for the next 10 years for the Reds.

Anyone think Alex Buchholz can skip a level and go to Sarasota?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Anyone think Alex Buchholz can skip a level and go to Sarasota?
    Dorn did it, likewise, Buchholz seems to be a step above the competition he is currently facing, a man among not quite men? Let's see how he does in the playoffs. Gotta' keep a challenge to these young guys that rise above the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan10 View Post
    Where else?
    The Lookouts Player Development Contract with the Reds expires today. The Reds have tried to extend it, but the Lookouts don't want to. At least without seeing what else is out there.

So.... the Reds will go to Carolina Mudcats, Conecticut Defenders (rumored to be going to Richmond), Jacksonville Suns, Huntsville Stars, Trenton, San Antonio or West Tennesee.

Everyone seems to think Trenton will extend with Yankees (makes too much sense to split it up). Jacksonville is rumored to be hooking up with the Marlins.

So, in order of likelihood I think

Carolina
    West Tennesee
    Huntsville
    Richmond
    San Antonio
    Jacksonville
    Trenton

At least Mudcats have a cool logo.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Here's how I see the Chattanooga roster:

Starting lineup:
    CF Chris Heisey (he deserves to play every day, and I think Dorn, Stubbs, and Cumberland will be the starters in Louisville)
    2B Justin Turner (I think Richar will play every day in Louisville)
    1B Logan Parker (he's older than Yonder Alonso and more prepared for AA)
    LF Todd Frazier (he has to play somewhere)
    3B Juan Francisco (there's not much he can learn in the FSL)
    SS Chris Valaika (maybe he gets bumped to Louisville, but what about Paul Janish?)
    RF Carson Kainer (the Reds' outfield depth is a little lacking in the mid-minors)
    C Eddy Rodriguez (the Reds' catching depth is really lacking in the mid-minors)

Bench:
    C Chris Denove (see Eddy Rodriguez)
    1B Mike McKennon (I like him more than Jason Louwsma, but the Reds seem to like Louwsma more; it's a toss-up)
    IF Jose Castro (versatile)
    OF B.J. Szymanski (toolsy; might miraculously put it all together)
    UT Justin Tordi (epitome of a utility player)

Rotation:
    Jordan Smith (gets another chance in AA)
    Travis Wood (also gets another chance in AA)
    Alex Smit (has pitched a million years in A-ball and below with reasonable success)
    Scott Carroll (more deserving a promotion than other options)
    Travis Webb (or maybe he goes back to Sarasota with Pedro Viola being the starter, which could bump Zach Stewart to Chattanooga)

Bullpen:
    Sean Watson (needs a little more development and is blocked by bullpen depth)
    Ramon Geronimo (where he belongs)
    Derrik Lutz (needs to stay and develop)
    Terrell Young (been in the organization a while and has done well in Sarasota)
    Phil Valiquette (been in the organization a while and has done fairly well in Sarasota)
    Lee Tabor (needs to stay and develop)
    Pedro Viola (could be a starter to get him more innings for developing, especially if Webb needs more time to recover from Tommy John surgery)

Valaika will be in AAA, and Stewart will be in the bullpen

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    Valaika will be in AAA, and Stewart will be in the bullpen
    I think both of those are inevitable, but I'm not so sure that both are guaranteed for opening day. Stewart needs to cut down on his walks (he has a 1.62 WHIP in a pitcher's league), and although Valaika has been pretty good, he hasn't been anywhere near dominant.

Please let the Reds have a Southern League team. I'm already farther away from the Reds than ever (Huntsville, AL). If I can't at least see their minor leaguers, I'll go crazy.

I'd downrate Huntsville's chance of getting the Reds' team. Watching the Huntsville Stars this season, I think the Brewers would be nuts to not resign with that franchise. They have a really strong booster club, good attendance, and their GM is the good kind of crazy (this year they added cheap beer nights, next year a dance party deck). Of course, if the Reds swept in and took the franchise, that'd be alright too.

Actually, I read one article that said Brewers wanted out because stadium was worst in Southern league......

So you stand a better chance of getting them than I do here in Jax.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Actually, I read one article that said Brewers wanted out because stadium was worst in Southern league......

So you stand a better chance of getting them than I do here in Jax.
    Yeah, I guess it is kind of a dump, but I don't need a whole lot. I basically just need a place to sit that's relatively close to the dugout. And in more recent seasons, a direct route to the john. So, the park meets my requirements.

I have no idea what the clubhouse is like, (Is it called a clubhouse in AA or just a locker room?) but I imagine it's not much better.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Here's how I see the Chattanooga roster:

Starting lineup:
    CF Chris Heisey (he deserves to play every day, and I think Dorn, Stubbs, and Cumberland will be the starters in Louisville)
    2B Justin Turner (I think Richar will play every day in Louisville)
    1B Logan Parker (he's older than Yonder Alonso and more prepared for AA)
    LF Todd Frazier (he has to play somewhere)
    3B Juan Francisco (there's not much he can learn in the FSL)
    SS Chris Valaika (maybe he gets bumped to Louisville, but what about Paul Janish?)
    RF Carson Kainer (the Reds' outfield depth is a little lacking in the mid-minors)
    C Eddy Rodriguez (the Reds' catching depth is really lacking in the mid-minors)
    You didn't mention Sean Henry on either the Chatt bench or starting lineup, or starting in the Louisville outfield. Where do you have him- the Louisville bench?

Turn Off Ads?