Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramirez recalled, Burton activated

Ramirez recalled, Burton activated

Those are the lone roster expansions for today, per team press notes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ramirez recalled, Burton activated

Bats are in the playoffs, so its no real surprise. I'd rather they win and learn at AAA than be on the pine watching the big team lose.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Bats are in the playoffs, so its no real surprise. I'd rather they win and learn at AAA than be on the pine watching the big team lose.
    Exactly. We all know Dusty wants to get Bako and Patterson as many at bats as possible to see what they can give us next year. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    Exactly. We all know Dusty wants to get Bako and Patterson as many at bats as possible to see what they can give us next year. LOL
    Why the "LOL" at the end? Bako I'd guess is playing his final days as a Red. CP, not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Well they have won 3 in row! Nice to see Burton back. Hope to see some of the young players get a chance. Dickerson has been showing he for sure can make this team as a 4th/5th OF if not a CF and leadoff. We need some serious change though. How many Freel/Hopper/Hariston guys you need.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    Dickerson has been showing he for sure can make this team as a 4th/5th OF if not a CF and leadoff. We need some serious change though. How many Freel/Hopper/Hariston guys you need.
    I'm not so certain that Dickerson isn't going to be considered interchangable with that group, once he gets enough plate appearences to have a proper sample size for evaluation.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Unlike Hairston, Freel, and Hopper, Dickerson actually has some pop in his bat and is willing to take a walk. He's also a very good defensive outfielder. Dickerson is not as good as he's playing right now but he's got a chance to be a platoon starter against RHP IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Why the "LOL" at the end? Bako I'd guess is playing his final days as a Red. CP, not so sure.
    The "LOL" because I find it hilarious that these guys are still playing, let alone still on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'm not so certain that Dickerson isn't going to be considered interchangable with that group, once he gets enough plate appearences to have a proper sample size for evaluation.
    I would agree, but I think he has more power! Too early to tell.

Ramirez, Burton rejoin Reds
    Pair of pitchers will add depth to Cincinnati bullpen
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- In expected moves following Monday's expansion of rosters to 40 players, the Reds recalled pitcher Ramon Ramirez and activated reliever Jared Burton from the 15-day disabled list.

In what was technically a "paper move," Ramirez was optioned to Class A Sarasota after he made his Major League debut on Saturday against the Giants. Filling in for the injured Johnny Cueto, he gave up three earned runs and five hits over seven innings. Ramirez struck out six and walked two during a no-decision.

Ramirez remained in Cincinnati in anticipation of his recall. The right-hander will not go back into the rotation for now.

"We're going to use him in the [bullpen]," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "He's been in the 'pen before, and he can do both. He might get another start before the season is over."

In 30 games, including 24 starts with Double-A Chattanooga and Triple-A Louisville this season, Ramirez was 6-8 with a 3.59 ERA.

Burton has not pitched since July 10 because of a strained latissimus muscle in his right side. He entered play on Tuesday with a 4-1 record and a 2.23 ERA.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Senor Votto

I'd use Ramirez in the rotation. Just go with a 6 man rotation

Volquez
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Harang
    Ramirez
    Fogg

I would have thought Ramirez could have helped Louisville in the playoffs. I'm glad to see him at the start of September; still, there was no reason to call him up this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I'd use Ramirez in the rotation. Just go with a 6 man rotation

Volquez
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Harang
    Ramirez
    Fogg
    Replace Fogg with Ramirez. I sreriously doubt Josh will be here next year so why give him more opportunities except out of the bullpen?

And I'll go into true confessions here. I kind of like Josh Fogg. He seems like nice guy. I wish him well wherever he goes next year. i just hope it's not with the Reds.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Replace Fogg with Ramirez. I sreriously doubt Josh will be here next year so why give him more opportunities except out of the bullpen?

And I'll go into true confessions here. I kind of like Josh Fogg. He seems like nice guy. I wish him well wherever he goes next year. i just hope it's not with the Reds.

Just a guess -- reason Ramirez is in the pen is that the Reds see him as a reliever long-term.

Ramirez has pitched well this year as a starter. Why not give him a rotation spot for September as a reward? Who knows, maybe he continues to do well and puts himself squarely in the conversation for the back of the rotation for next year. The transition to reliever can happen any time, if others beat him out -- why disqualify him as a starter now? Pretty strange way to manage him, following his very nice 7-inning outing....

Why would Fogg get to continue to start, having pitched poorly, while Ramirez gets to sit, having pitched well? While a lot has gone right on the pitching staff this year, there have been some awful decisions, too. This is another one of them, in my opinion.

Turn Off Ads?