Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dayton at 19: Bruce vs. Soto

Dayton at 19: Bruce vs. Soto

As 19-year-old Dragons, here are Jay Bruce and Neftali Soto:

ABs 2B 3B HR BB K AVG OBP SLG OPS

Bruce 444 42 5 16 44 106 .291 .355 .516 .871

Soto 218 15 1 7 7 36 .326 .343 .500 .843

While Bruce had a significantly higher EBH%, their HR% is close. Bruce walked a lot more, but I have a feeling that is in part due to Soto's excellent contact skills.

For me, the essential point is that Soto is truly an advanced bat. How the Reds handle him, given that he's a player without a position, will be interesting. Seems to me they need to make a decision (3B or LF) and stick to it, starting next year. Because the bat could come fast.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Dayton at 19: Bruce vs. Soto

Lets just note that Bruce hurt his shoulder the last game of July that year and had a .912 OPS at that point on the season. In August he hit .172 that year with an OPS under .600 and it really took his great season and turned it into a very good season.

Your point still remains though, Soto is an advanced bat that the Reds should consider pushing through the system as long as he shows he is capable of it.

Lets just note that Bruce hurt his shoulder the last game of July that year and had a .912 OPS at that point on the season. In August he hit .172 that year with an OPS under .600 and it really took his great season and turned it into a very good season.
    Good point. I'd forgotten about that.

I'm excited about the future of Neftali Soto. I don't think he's quite the hitter that Jay Bruce is (who is?) but he's got a chance to be a great hitter. His walk total isn't where it needs to be yet but the huge power potential and low strikeout total is very encouraging. I look for him to begin the season in High-A next season and possibly receive a promotion to AA if he mashes A+ pitching like he's capable of.

You gotta love all the young bats in the system - Jay Bruce and Joey Votto in the majors, and Neftali Soto, Yonder Alonso, and Todd Frazier in the minors with solid second tier players like Chris Valaika, Sean Henry, and Danny Dorn in AA. Plus we have Alex Buchholz in Billings and Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez far down the road. Hitting prospects is clearly the strength of the organization right now.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 09-02-2008 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Hitting prospects is clearly the strength of the organization right now.
    I don't think the Reds have ever had a minor league system where the pitching was the strength.

At least not in my lifetime...

You gotta love all the young bats in the system - Jay Bruce and Joey Votto in the majors, and Neftali Soto, Yonder Alonso, and Todd Frazier in the minors with solid second tier players like Chris Valaika, Sean Henry, and Danny Dorn in AA. Plus we have Alex Buchholz in Billings and Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez far down the road. Hitting prospects is clearly the strength of the organization right now.
    It's a refrain for me. Do not forget about Chris Heisey.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    It's a refrain for me. Do not forget about Chris Heisey.
    Good point. Stubbs too. They're not in the class of Alonso, Soto, Frazier, though Stubbs could be if his power develops.

Francisco has to be in the discussion as well I think...

Ah, heck, let's keep going . . .

Shaun Cumberland, Tonys Gutierrez, Justin Turner, Logan Parker, Devin Mesoraco, Brandon Waring, Zack Cozart, Tony Brown, Tyler Stovall, Byron Wiley, Cody Puckett, etc.

There's a lot of hitting talent in the system.

Soto tough out

Neftali Soto, Dayton's third baseman/DH, hit .357 over his last 33 games of the regular season and had four hits in nine at-bats (.444) in his first two games of the playoffs.

"How do you get him out?" Silver Hawks manager Mark Haley asked. Then, his cell phone rang. "I've got calls around the league asking."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...gonsnotes.html

I was high on this kid from Minute he was drafted. I honestly believe Neftali is on a fast track to the Majors and will not seem out of place upon his arrival there from the get go.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    I was high on this kid from Minute he was drafted. I honestly believe Neftali is on a fast track to the Majors and will not seem out of place upon his arrival there from the get go.
    But he wasn't on the fast track this year. He started out 2009 in advanced spring training, not on a full season team in his first full pro season like other high HS picks - Bruce, Bailey, Mesoraco. Given his clear success this year, I'm curious as to why that decision was made. I'm also curious what position the Reds will ask him to play next year.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    But he wasn't on the fast track this year. He started out 2009 in advanced spring training, not on a full season team in his first full pro season like other high HS picks - Bruce, Bailey, Mesoraco. Given his clear success this year, I'm curious as to why that decision was made. I'm also curious what position the Reds will ask him to play next year.
    Mesoraco also started in extended spring training. He just got sent to Dayton in May. I think the reason he was held back was they wanted the college guys playing in Dayton.

Turn Off Ads?