Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: camisadelgolf Tries to Fill Out the Minor League Rosters for 2009

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

camisadelgolf Tries to Fill Out the Minor League Rosters for 2009

This is all speculation on my part, and every time I look at it, I see something I would change, but overall, I'm pretty happy with how I filled this out. Criticisms and comments are obviously welcome, so please have at it.

Code:
       AAA			AA			A+			A			Rk			GCL
     C Craig Tatum		Eddy Rodriguez		Devin Mesoraco		Jordan Wideman		Chris McMurray		Petr Cech
    1B Tonys Gutierrez	Logan Parker		Yonder Alonso		Carlos Mendez		Mike Konstanty		Humberto Sosa
    2B Danny Richar		Justin Turner		Jake Kahaulelio		Alex Buchholz		Mauricio Pimentel	Yen-Wen Kuo
    3B Mike Griffin		Juan Francisco		Brandon Waring		Nefi Soto		Frank Pfister		Brodie Pullen
    SS Paul Janish		Chris Valaika		Zack Cozart		Cody Puckett		Miguel Rojas		Mariekson Gregorius
    LF Danny Dorn		Todd Frazier		Kel Jones		Tony Brown		Byron Wiley		Yorman Rodriguez
    CF Drew Stubbs		Chris Heisey		Justin Reed		Dave Sappelt		Andrew Means		Juan Duran
    RF Shaun Cumberland	Carson Kainer		Danny Perales		Alexis Oliveras		Tyler Stovall		Efrain Contreras

C Chris Kroski		Chris Denove		Jake Long		Frank Meade		Kevin Coddington	Petr Cech
     C 						Jason Bour
    1B 			Mike McKennon								Donald Lutz
    2B Mike DeJesus					Kevyn Feiner		Jose Gualdron
    3B Eric Eymann
    SS 			Jose Castro								Darrick Hale		Junior Arias
    OF Sean Henry		B.J. Szymanski		Denis Phipps		Brandon Menchaca	Sean Conner		Samuel Vasquez
    OF 												Matt Stiffler		Theodis Bowe
    UT Drew M. Anderson	Justin Tordi					Brett Bartles		Kyle Day		Daniel Morrison

SP Homer Bailey		Jordan Smith		Kyle Lotzkar		Shea Snowden		Clayton Shunick		Tyler Cline
    SP Daryl Thompson	Travis Wood		Matt Klinker		Evan Hildenbrandt	Oscar Castro		Efrain Rodriguez
    SP Matt Maloney		Alex Smit		Luis Montano		Jamie Arneson		Lance Janke		Matt Fairel
    SP Ben Jukich		Scott Carroll		Jeremy Horst		Drew Bowman		Leo Astorga		Juan Carlos Sulbaran
    SP Sam LeCure		Travis Webb		Dallas Buck		Juan Rafael		Enrique Garcia		Tzu-Kai Chiu

RP Josh Roenicke	Sean Watson		Zach Stewart		Aguido Gonzalez		Josh Beal		David Torcise
    RP Justin James		Ramon Geronimo		Tyler Rhoden		Brandon Rice		Mike Bohana		Luca Panerati
    RP Carlos Fisher	Pedro Viola		Jeff Jeffords		Mace Thurman		Dan Zeffiro		Matteo Pizziconi
    RP Ty Pelland		Lee Tabor		Henry Arias		Curtis Partch		Junior Martinez		Raul Rodriguez
    RP Danny Herrera	Terrell Young		Ruben Medina		Derrick Conatser	Randall Linebaugh	Bryan Gardner
    RP Robert Manuel	Phil Valiquette		Joe Krebs		Steve Otterness		Will Hudgens		Hector Santana
    RP Ramon Ramirez	Derrik Lutz		Misael DeJesus		Josh Ravin		Justin Freeman		Pedro Villareal
    RP 						Enerio Del Rosario	Daniel Guerrero					Justin Walker
    RP 															Blaine Howell
    RP 															Greg Dombrowski
    RP 															Jeremy Vinyard
    RP 															Mike Henry
    NOTES:
    I presume that Ryan Hanigan, Chris Dickerson, Jay Bruce, Wilkin Castillo, Adam Rosales, and some other young guys in the organization could be on the 2009

Major League roster. In some cases, this is due to a lack of options (i.e. Bobby Livingston), lack of depth (Adam Rosales), and/or they're just ready for

MLB (Jay Bruce). Anyway, if you're looking for someone who isn't there, I probably just put him on the ML roster.

Players that I believe are most likely to leave as free agents:
    Jon Adkins
    Drew T. Anderson
    Kevin Barker
    Luis Bolivar
    Alvin Colina
    Jerry Gil
    Aaron Herr
    Mike Hrynio
    Justin Lehr
    Rob Mackowiak
    Justin Mallett
    Adam Pettyjohn
    Yuber Rodriguez
    Joe Valentine
    Camilo Vazquez

Players I might release or put on the reserve list due to a lack of room:
    James Avery
    Scott Gaffney
    Rafael Gonzalez
    Anthony Gressick
    Jason Louwsma
    Logan Ondrusek
    Ricky Rhodes
    Eli Rimes
    Todd Waller

There are also a ton of guys who played in the DSL this year, particularly pitchers, who could contribute for these teams in 2009, but I don't enough about them to speculate.

I'm not convinced that Juan Duran, Yorman Rodriguez, and Junior Arias are starting in the GCL. It's just that they're three big names that deserved being mentioned, and they could both see time in the GCL next year.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 09-03-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Re: camisadelgolf Tries to Fill Out the Minor League Rosters for 2009

From first look. Valaika will be in AAA next year, Soto in A+, Alonso(if he does well in Hawaii) will be in AA, and Dallas Buck I think will be pushed and be in AA. Stewart will be in AA, Roenicke will be in Cincy.

Also add Efrain Contreras to the Dayton roster

Valaika, Soto, Stewart, and Roenicke have nothing left to prove at the level you have them at.
    Last edited by redhawk61; 09-03-2008 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    From first look. Valaika will be in AAA next year, Soto in A+, Alonso(if he does well in Hawaii) will be in AA, and Dallas Buck I think will be pushed and be in AA. Stewart will be in AA, Roenicke will be in Cincy.

Also add Efrain Contreras to the Dayton roster

Valaika, Soto, Stewart, and Roenicke have nothing left to prove at the level you have them at.
    If Valaika is in AAA, is it as a shortstop or as a second baseman? And who does he push out of the lineup: Danny Richar or Paul Janish?

If Nefi Soto is bumped to A+, where does that put Brandon Waring?

I could see Stewart going to Chattanooga, but I really, really doubt that happens. He has a low ERA in Sarasota, but some of the peripherals are unimpressive.

I really don't think Roenicke is guaranteed to be in Cincinnati, especially because A.) the Reds are reportedly not enamored with him, B.) the Reds have other options, and C.) he isn't even on the 40-man roster.

I like the idea of adding Efrain Contreras to the Dayton roster, but it means someone would be bumped, or they would have to put a decent prospect on the reserved list. If he's back in the GCL, at least he's getting regular at-bats somewhere.

well if Soto is in A+ he will be at 3b/LF Waring is at 1b/3b with Alonso in AA

I also think one of Richar or Janish will be up in Cincy on the bench next year.

Roenicke being on the 40 doesn't really mean anything, we are talking next year when there will be a lot of FA's off the 40 with guys like Affeldt, Bako, Patterson and others along with some releases... I just don't see WJ keeping Coffey and Majewski around next year. There will be spaces.

As far as Stewart, yeah he needs some work on some of his periherals. But those are things that he can work on at AA

Roenicke being on the 40 doesn't really mean anything, we are talking next year when there will be a lot of FA's off the 40 with guys like Affeldt, Bako, Patterson and others along with some releases... I just don't see WJ keeping Coffey and Majewski around next year. There will be spaces.
    You mention that not being on the 40-man roster shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not quite convinced of that. First, there's the 25-man roster. Let's say the Reds sign only one free agent.

(25)
    C Ryan Hanigan
    1B Joey Votto
    2B Brandon Phillips
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    SS Alex Gonzalez
    LF free agent
    CF Chris Dickerson
    RF Jay Bruce
    C Wilkin Castillo
    IF Jeff Keppinger
    IF Adam Rosales
    OF Chris Dickerson
    OF Norris Hopper
    SP Edinson Volquez
    SP Aaron Harang
    SP Johnny Cueto
    SP Bronson Arroyo
    SP Micah Owings
    RP Francisco Cordero
    RP Jared Burton
    RP Bill Bray
    RP Matt Belisle
    RP Gary Majewski
    RP Todd Coffey
    RP Bobby Livingston

Then there are the rest of the guys currently on the 40-man roster:
    (9)
    C Craig Tatum
    1B Yonder Alonso
    2B Danny Richar
    SS Paul Janish
    SP Homer Bailey
    SP Daryl Thompson
    SP Ramon Ramirez
    RP Ty Pelland
    RP Danny Herrera

That leaves only six spots to protect players from the rule five draft (or to prevent Gutierrez, Cumberland, Smit, and/or James from leaving as minor league free agents).

1B Tonys Gutierrez
    2B Luis Bolivar
    2B Drew M. Anderson
    3B Mike Griffin
    3B Eric Eymann
    OF Shaun Cumberland
    OF Sean Henry
    OF Drew T. Anderson
    SP Matt Maloney
    SP Pedro Viola
    SP Sam LeCure
    SP Alex Smit
    SP Justin Mallett
    RP Carlos Fisher
    RP Robert Manuel
    RP Justin James
    RP Ramon Geronimo
    (There are many others who are eligible, but I think I listed the most likely to be selected, and even a few of them would be shocking choices.)

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    You mention that not being on the 40-man roster shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not quite convinced of that. First, there's the 25-man roster. Let's say the Reds sign only one free agent.

(25)
    C Ryan Hanigan
    1B Joey Votto
    2B Brandon Phillips
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    SS Alex Gonzalez
    LF free agent
    CF Chris Dickerson
    RF Jay Bruce
    C Wilkin Castillo
    IF Jeff Keppinger
    IF Adam Rosales
    OF Chris Dickerson
    OF Norris Hopper
    SP Edinson Volquez
    SP Aaron Harang
    SP Johnny Cueto
    SP Bronson Arroyo
    SP Micah Owings
    RP Francisco Cordero
    RP Jared Burton
    RP Bill Bray
    RP Matt Belisle
    RP Gary Majewski
    RP Todd Coffey
    RP Bobby Livingston

(9)
    C Craig Tatum
    1B Yonder Alonso
    2B Danny Richar
    SS Paul Janish
    SP Homer Bailey
    SP Daryl Thompson
    SP Ramon Ramirez
    RP Ty Pelland
    RP Danny Herrera

That leaves only six spots to protect players from the rule five draft (or to prevent Gutierrez, Cumberland, Smit, and/or James from leaving as minor league free agents).

1B Tonys Gutierrez
    2B Luis Bolivar
    2B Drew M. Anderson
    3B Mike Griffin
    3B Eric Eymann
    OF Shaun Cumberland
    OF Sean Henry
    OF Drew T. Anderson
    SP Matt Maloney
    SP Pedro Viola
    SP Sam LeCure
    SP Alex Smit
    SP Justin Mallett
    RP Carlos Fisher
    RP Robert Manuel
    RP Justin James
    RP Ramon Geronimo
    (There are many others who are eligible, but I think I listed the most likely to be selected, and even a few of them would be shocking choices.)
    Belisle and Coffey are probably going to be non-tendered and that LF you have listed will probably be in exchange for some one else on the roster. That would leave 9 spots for Gutierrez, Eymann, Cumberland, Henry, Maloney, Viola, Lecure, Fisher and Manuel. The Reds may also DFA Majewski and Livingston which would leave room for Smit and Geronimo (though they may be left off). It wouldn't surprise me to see Hopper and Pelland let go either. I also expect the Reds to make a couple quantity for quality deals that might make more room.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

(25)
    C Ryan Hanigan
    1B Yonder Alonso
    2B Brandon Phillips
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    SS Alex Gonzalez
    LF Joey Votto
    CF Chris Dickerson
    RF Jay Bruce

C Bako or a FA Catcher w/ exp.
    IF Jeff Keppinger
    IF Jerry Hairston Jr.
    UT Ryan Freel
    OF Shaun Cumberland

SP Edinson Volquez
    SP Aaron Harang
    SP Johnny Cueto
    SP Bronson Arroyo
    SP Micah Owings

RP Francisco Cordero
    RP Jared Burton
    RP Bill Bray
    RP Jeremy Affeldt
    RP Mike Lincoln
    RP David Weathers
    RP Nick Masset

(9)
    C Craig Tatum
    C Wilkin Castillo
    2B Danny Richar
    SS Paul Janish
    IF Adam Rosales
    SP Homer Bailey
    SP Daryl Thompson
    RP Ramon Ramirez
    RP Danny Herrera

Plus these 5 from your previous list who I think stick around.

OF Sean Henry
    SP Matt Maloney
    RP Carlos Fisher
    RP Robert Manuel
    SP Sam Lecure

With 1 spot left at this point and these remaining names with any shred of a chance to get the spot. Probably coming down to Smit and Geronimo

1B Tonys Gutierrez
    RP Pedro Viola
    SP Alex Smit
    RP Ramon Geronimo
    I could see something like this taking place. Be it a bit far fetched (Alonso) but with some logic to it. My best guess is that there is some definite trading on the horizon for a corner OF perhaps one the significance of a Matt Holliday to free up 2-3 spots on the 40 allowing Yonder to stay down for next season.

How about this trade for Holliday just because I thought of one just as I wrote this. Is there enough potential shine left on these guys to obtain 1 year of Holliday with the potential to sign a LTC? Lot of talent going out with high ceilings but with considerable question marks. IMO it clears up some issues accross the board, but not sure it's enough to get him and equally not sure it's not.

Homer Bailey
    Drew Stubbs
    Tyler Pelland
    Juan Francisco
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 09-05-2008 at 02:20 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

. . . and Dallas Buck I think will be pushed and be in AA.
    I like this statement. If I did this all again, I'd put Buck in AA and let Webb show he's recovered in Sarasota.

my guess is that both Soto & Waring are in A+. One plays 3rd, another plays LF, 1b or DH. Probably mix & match both a bit b/w 3b and other spots. Never hurts to have minor leaguers learn multiple positions until you get a better grasp of who will best help the major league club, and what spot they'll do that in.

Don't get me wrong--Soto is a hell of a talent. But he's a lot more raw then people give him credit for. He's very young and will need plenty of time in the minors before he's ready to for the Major Leagues.

First of all, he has seven walks in in 218 at-bats. That's almost Juan Francisco bad. Second of all, his fielding percentage improved to .910. That's significantly worse than Edwin Encarnacion's numbers the past few years.

Like I said, his bat is ready to advance, but with other, older third base prospects who have made more progress, I'm fine with letting Soto develop a bit in Dayton.

The Reds aren't enamored with Roenicke? Says who? Dusty and the Reds brass was raving over him in spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The Reds aren't enamored with Roenicke? Says who? Dusty and the Reds brass was raving over him in spring training.
    I read somewhere that the Reds were shopping Roenicke because they thought they had the same thing in Carlos Fisher.

I read somewhere that the Reds were shopping Roenicke because they thought they had the same thing in Carlos Fisher.
    I'm pretty sure that was speculation from a poster on here. Besides, what's wrong with keeping them both and having a strong bullpen?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was speculation from a poster on here. Besides, what's wrong with keeping them both and having a strong bullpen?
    There's nothing wrong with having both of them on the Major League roster next year. It's just that the 40-man roster will be crowded enough, and if Carlos Fisher is going to be on the 40-man roster anyway, why be in a hurry to add Roenicke to the 25-man roster?

Just to be more clear, I'm not opposed to adding Roenicke to the roster. It's just not necessary at this point, and although he has pitched almost 40 innings of successful baseball, I don't necessarily think he's ready to be an effective reliever for the Reds.

Your list and the ensuing discussion highlights the difficulty in placing people deserving of a promotion. I continue to believe that the Reds must open up some spots by pruning the major league roster and making some tough decisions on some of the minor leaguers. I think there is harm in wasting a year of prime development time by keeping a player at a level that he has mastered, particularly if the player is 23-24. WJ seems to be more willing than WK to accelerate advancement. Stubbs seems to have responded well. I look for dramatic changes.

Turn Off Ads?