Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: camisadelgolf Tries to Fill Out the Minor League Rosters for 2009

Re: camisadelgolf Tries to Fill Out the Minor League Rosters for 2009

I'd move Soto to AA to challenge him. Of course, I'd also move Francisco to catcher (or, if he's unwilling and/or defensively challenged, RF). Soto is, IMO, the best prospect in the Cincinnati pipeline by a wide, wide margin.

He's hit well and he's young for his league. Not only that, he's also hitting with power. The walks will come as the rest of the league begins to fear him.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd move Soto to AA to challenge him. Of course, I'd also move Francisco to catcher (or, if he's unwilling and/or defensively challenged, RF).
    I like your out-of-the-box thinking here, and by all accounts Francisco has the arm to be a catcher. I also like the concept of placing good athletes at that position. But I'm a little curious as to why you've singled out Francisco for this switch, in light of the fact that he was named the best defensive 3B in the FSL.

I'd move Soto to AA to challenge him. Of course, I'd also move Francisco to catcher (or, if he's unwilling and/or defensively challenged, RF). Soto is, IMO, the best prospect in the Cincinnati pipeline by a wide, wide margin.
    He's hit well and he's young for his league. Not only that, he's also hitting with power. The walks will come as the rest of the league begins to fear him.
    I like Soto and all, but I still would have him behind Alonso, Frazier, and Stubbs. Possibly Lotzkar as well.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Alonso is a 1B. For a 1B, he's not bad, but there are questions about his power with a wooden bat. Plus, he's got no speed and a decent glove only. Frazier apparently has to be a corner player and his bat, while good, is not great. Stubbs is, at his best, Mike Cameron-Lite. Lotskar is interesting, but hasn't done what Soto has.

None of this group has.

Soto, at 19, just finished the best statistical season in the Red pipeline. (Possible exception to Alex Bucholz in the launching pad that is Billings.) Soto also plays a passable 3B, or will, when he's a bit older. He shows plus-plus power (his EXB hit rate is exceptional) and his contact rate is really, really good. All of these point to the fact that he should dominate as he progresses.

Did I mention that he's 19?

If he continues at this rate, he's in the majors to stay at 21. Only rarely do 21 year-old major leaguers turn out to be less than All Star talent.

I don't know if any of the other prospects are at that level. At this point, Alonso, Frazier, and Stubbs are too old and Lotskar has a lot of work to do.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

I think Soto jumps ahead of Waring, based on Waring's strikeout ratio.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks Brandon Waring should start 2009 in back in Dayton?

He struck out way too much this year and doesn't show much pitch recognition from what I've seen from him.

And don't let the 20 HR's fool you, he struggled to get there.

Sure he has decent power but that's about all he has. He has below average to almost no speed at all either
    I agree.
    Who's on first?

If he continues at this rate, he's in the majors to stay at 21. Only rarely do 21 year-old major leaguers turn out to be less than All Star talent.

I don't know if any of the other prospects are at that level. At this point, Alonso, Frazier, and Stubbs are too old and Lotskar has a lot of work to do.
    Where will Soto play at age 21? Will he be a major league caliber defender at third? Is another postion in his future? It's not just about offensive stats.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I think Soto jumps ahead of Waring, based on Waring's strikeout ratio.
    Soto strikes out a lot, too. I don't think strikeout ratio is enough of a reason to have a successful 20-year-old jumping over a successful 23-year-old, drafted in the same year.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Soto strikes out a lot, too. I don't think strikeout ratio is enough of a reason to have a successful 20-year-old jumping over a successful 23-year-old, drafted in the same year.
    Why not, it's not as if there are 3 levels between them.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

If Soto is better than Waring, then get Soto ahead of Waring and let him develop.

No point in giving a sub-par player more chances and opportunity just because he is older.

Let Soto get time now and not screw him around and waste his time waiting for Waring to develop into something decent (Which I doubt will ever happen IMO)

Turn Off Ads?