Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes a good hitter?

What makes a good hitter?

I was listening to Bronson yesterday on the way home from work and he said a few interesting things. He was talking about how the Reds needed to add a bat, which is obvious, but he was also talking about facing hitters. He said later in the game you don't want to see a Pujols or Holliday up at bat with two outs and RISP. He also said that you need a good bat that will hit .280-.300 and drive in runs as opposed to someone hitting .230 but hitting 40 HRS a year.

This got me thinking about the quality of hitters on the Reds and what they need. I realize that both Pujols and Holliday are two of the best hitters in the game but at the same time it didn't sound like Arroyo minded pitching to a guy like Dunn. I know we have the discussion about BA all the time over here but when a starting pitcher says it matters and it changes the way he pitches, does it matter? Wouldn't you rather have a Joey Votto up at the plate who has the ability to take any pitch and hit it all over the park as opposed to an Adam Dunn/Ryan Howard who if you make your pitches isn't nearly as dangerous?

I felt it was ironic hearing what Bronson said the team needs and what went through a pitchers mind when facing particular hitters.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What makes a good hitter?

He also said that you need a good bat that will hit .280-.300 and drive in runs as opposed to someone hitting .230 but hitting 40 HRS a year.
    Sorry for the thread drift, but between this and throwing Dunn under the bus regarding desired sallary it doesn't apear Bronson is too fond of Dunn. Was there some big rift between them that I missed?
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 09-03-2008 at 02:26 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Sorry for the thread drift, but between this and throwing Dunn under the buss regarding desired sallary it doesn't apear Bronson is too fond of Dunn. Was there some big rift between them that I missed?
    That was my initial reaction as well. I haven't heard of any issues between them but Bronson's comments since Dunn was traded makes me wonder.

most hitters hit mistakes, very few are good enough to consistently hit pitchers pitches well(pujols and a few others).

For other than the few great hitters producing is more about getting a mistake then anything else.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

There's all sorts of different types of salespeople with different tallents. Some are good prospecters, some are good detail folks, some are better as closers and still others are better at managing other salespeople than actually selling.

As long as they are producing who gives a crap what their individual tallent might be?

Same with hitters.

Power hitter, pull-hitter, gap-to-gap hitter, punch & judy.......all different flavors of the same ice cream. Just produce the numbers.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Power hitter, pull-hitter, gap-to-gap hitter, punch & judy.......all different flavors of the same ice cream. Just produce the numbers.
    you have to have a good BARISP ... else you suck.

There's all sorts of different types of salespeople with different tallents. Some are good prospecters, some are good detail folks, some are better as closers and still others are better at managing other salespeople than actually selling.

As long as they are producing who gives a crap what their individual tallent might be?

Same with hitters.

I have a feeling that most pitchers would disagree with you here.

What makes a good hitter? Hitting the ball consistently and acquiring as many bases as possible while doing so. Guys that hit .250 or less aren't good hitters regardless of what else they do. They may be good batters because they walk a lot and still slug plenty, but they aren't good hitters. At the same time, guys that hit .300 aren't always good hitters because if you are hitting .300 and slugging .400, odds are you aren't getting a whole lot done for your team unless you are walking 70+ times a year too and guys with .100 IsoP's don't generally walk that much in todays game.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have a feeling that most pitchers would disagree with you here.
    Who cares what a pitcher thinks when constructing a baseball team?

Get guys who produce.

It's only natural that they'd aproach the fire-breathing big-bopper differently than the "run of the mill" singles and doubles guy but as long as they both do their jobs and produce it doesn't really matter. Does a run scored by a tradional gap-to-gap guy count for less than the one hit out of the park?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    He said later in the game you don't want to see a Pujols
    And who does?

I find it absolutely hilarious that Albert Pujols is always a name that comes up with regards to a guy you don't want to face, or a guy whose talents the Reds need (often on the heals of dissing an actual, current Reds hitter, or a recently traded Reds hitter).

Albert Pujols already is the second greatest first baseman in the game's history in peak value. His best seasons are greater than those of Jimmie Foxx. Chances are he'll retire as arguably the greatest right-handed hitter ever. And yet people seriously lament the fact that the Reds don't have a guy like Pujols.

Newsflash: the Reds aren't going to pick up some rock and find another Pujols underneath. Not unless Bob and Walt own some magic potion that can bring Gehrig or Foxx back to life circa 25-years-old.

Reds fans need to snap back to reality and quit dreaming about Pujols or Pujols-like in a Reds uniform this generation; he's not happening.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Reds fans need to snap back to reality and quit dreaming about Pujols or Pujols-like in a Reds uniform this generation.
    if they just wanted bad enough and would work hard enough they could be like Pujols. It's just because they are lazy bums and don't mind losing.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

At the risk of being over simplistic, I would say that a good hitter is someone who gets on base a lot and who does things that result in his team scoring. How those runs score doesn't matter much to me as long as they cross the plate.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    At the risk of being over simplistic, I would say that a good hitter is someone who gets on base a lot and who does things that result in his team scoring. How those runs score doesn't matter much to me as long as they cross the plate.
    +1

Baseball's a pretty simple game. Just score.

I believe it's best to have a variety of hitters, however. A little power to help you score runs fast is good but you've got to have guys who can get on base first.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    if they just wanted bad enough and would work hard enough they could be like Pujols. It's just because they are lazy bums and don't mind losing.
    I hope that is sarcasm...

Talent will trump work ethic more often than not.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Beyond Pujols most every team has/had a "bell cow" at the start of the season, if you will and I would call them all "good hitters". I would easily take any of them in their prime as a bonified #3 hitter.

NL
    Derek Lee
    Lance Berkman
    Jason Bay
    Prince Fielder
    David Wright/Beltran
    Chipper Jones
    Chase Utley
    Hanley Ramirez
    Matt Holliday
    Manny Ramirez
    Adrian Gonzalez

AL
    David Ortiz
    A-Rod/Jeter
    Gary Sheffield
    Josh Hamilton
    Travis Hafner
    Justin Morneau
    Vladimir Guerrero
    Ichiro Suzuki
    Carl Crawford

IMO these other teams don't have a legit #1 offensive force in their lineups but do have/had 1 or more a #2 type offensive force(s).

Us - Dunn
    Arz - Dunn
    CWS - Quentin
    KC - Guillen
    O's - Markakis
    Nats - Zimmerman

None at all but a #3 or so with a little potential to be a 2.

Oakland
    S.F.

Dunn IMO is a high end #2 type, certainly not chopped liver but with a big enough flaw to be exploited. Yes I think there are levels within levels, Elite, Good and Decent within each type.

BTW most of those teams with a #1 also have a bonified #2 type. So you must have a strong #1 (i.e. the elite Pujols/Arod/Ortiz/Manny), a good #1 and #2 (Hamilton and Dunn would have been nice to keep together) or at least 3 maybe even 4 # 2 types (ala CWS w/ Quentin/Swisher/Konerko/Dye) with a good pitching staff and defense to sustainably win in today's MLB.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?