Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season Ticket Luncheon: Q+A with Walt

Season Ticket Luncheon: Q+A with Walt

Any else attend the season ticket holder luncheon yesterday?

My first time there. Had a friend invite me. Pretty cool.

Had two q+a sessions... first with Walt and then with Brantley, Hanigan, Dickerson and Arroyo.

Both sessions were good. Dickerson and Hanigan impress me with their makeup and attitude. Bronson is Bronson, and always a pleasure to hear speak. Dude doesn't mince words.

But I was most excited to ask Walt a few questions. First was about the off season and the playroll flex we have. What's the priority?

He spoke in the usual vague terms, but he said at least 3 times in the answer... "a power right handed bat."

Didn't say anythign about another starter or the need for a catcher. Which are all the things we've seen printed and know to be true.

So the fact that he said "right handed power bat" I thought was pretty revealing. It must truly be his priority.

Setting us up for Pat Burrel, or a splashy trade (Holliday, etc.)?

I also had the friend who invited me ask about whether BPhil moving to short has ever been seriously talked about. He said it has, but that Brandon has told them he prefers second at this point. But Walt said they know they have that flexibility so they can plan the roster around that idea.

Thought that was nice. My pipedream for a Brian Roberts trade this offseason remains intact!

Curious if anyone else was there.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Next Year

Re: Season Ticket Luncheon: Q+A with Walt

Grab Nick Markakis while you're getting Roberts!

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsbuckeye View Post
    Grab Nick Markakis while you're getting Roberts!
    While I would LOVE to see both those guys in Reds uniforms (especially since we actually drafted Nick first even though he didn't sign here, LOL), I don't think it's going to happen. Nick's their future (and current?) star and they don't really have anyone to replace Brian at second base, so they'd want a king's ransom for either player and I don't want to see us give away the farm when half our farm is all ready playing with the big club and gaining valuable experience for the future. I don't know if the O's would want some of our guys who are still in the minors but I'm hesitant to part with our own 'future stars' right now. (BTW-Brian is a FA at the end of next season so why get him in a trade when you might be able to get him through FA?!)

Thanks for the info about the Q&A. I think one of those things would be really fun to attend sometime!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I'd pass on Roberts. Go for a big OF RH bat before you go for him.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post

Setting us up for Pat Burrel, or a splashy trade (Holliday, etc.)?
    I could definitely dig Pat Burrell in left.

Resident PED Expert

I say its Uggla... Just fits his pattern. Has made some huge trades for infielders in his past... McGwire, Eckstein, Rolen, Rentieria, Will Clark. The only "big name" outfielder I can remeber was Edmonds

I bet none of you sissies asked him why Patterson was still around.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I say its Uggla... Just fits his pattern. Has made some huge trades for infielders in his past... McGwire, Eckstein, Rolen, Rentieria, Will Clark. The only "big name" outfielder I can remeber was Edmonds
    Larry Walker

Next Year

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    While I would LOVE to see both those guys in Reds uniforms (especially since we actually drafted Nick first even though he didn't sign here, LOL), I don't think it's going to happen. Nick's their future (and current?) star and they don't really have anyone to replace Brian at second base, so they'd want a king's ransom for either player and I don't want to see us give away the farm when half our farm is all ready playing with the big club and gaining valuable experience for the future. I don't know if the O's would want some of our guys who are still in the minors but I'm hesitant to part with our own 'future stars' right now. (BTW-Brian is a FA at the end of next season so why get him in a trade when you might be able to get him through FA?!)

Thanks for the info about the Q&A. I think one of those things would be really fun to attend sometime!
    Reports were he was unhappy with the Orioles because of a very small raise he got from last year to this. Next year he enters arb and if someone plays their cards right, they may be able to nab him if the O's suddenly start becoming cost conscientious (something they've needed to do for a while).

Although, to borrow what you already said, probably a pipe-dream.

What would you guys give up for Holliday?

Bailey
    Fraizer
    Lecure
    Tuner

?

Quote Originally Posted by redsbuckeye View Post
    Reports were he was unhappy with the Orioles because of a very small raise he got from last year to this. Next year he enters arb and if someone plays their cards right, they may be able to nab him if the O's suddenly start becoming cost conscientious (something they've needed to do for a while).

Although, to borrow what you already said, probably a pipe-dream.
    I believe the O's have some salary coming off their books this year and IMO, the last thing Angelos is going to do is become cost conscious (word is the O's are going hard after Teixiera this year). I bet they sign Nick to a long term deal this offseason and if they are stupid and don't do that, I think the O's fans will revolt and run Angelos and MacPhail out of town, LOL

Don't get me wrong...I'd love to have him here but I also love the O's and want to see them do well so I like Nick being over there too. He is an awesome player and IIRC, he's leading the AL in outfield assists right now which I think is awesome.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

You guys clamoring for Pat Burrell make me laugh. He's not as good of a player as Adam Dunn..... that is if you were one of the ones happy to see Dunn go. Now Holliday, thats more like it.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    You guys clamoring for Pat Burrell make me laugh. He's not as good of a player as Adam Dunn..... that is if you were one of the ones happy to see Dunn go. Now Holliday, thats more like it.
    Holliday is a great player and a really good guy. I'd love to see him here.

the one thing that getting Holliday would do would create a very intresting situation with Votto and Alonso. First, I agree that the only way a deal gets done is if the Reds know that they will pay w/e it takes to sign him longterm.

So the deal is made of something like Bailey, Fraizer, Turner, Lecure or something similar.
    ...but come 2010 Alonso should be ready to step in....so where does he go? Votto can't go to LF with Holliday there. Do we try Alonso next year at 3rd alot more (despite scouting reports) Or is he traded in the offseason '09? Offensively if you move him to 3rd the lineup would be torturous on opponents, defensively, we better have a very strong defensive SS (please Cozart be ready in a year, and have found your offensive game this year, all he would need is .725 ish OPS with his D and the rest of the offense would carry plenty of the load...but thats a long shot)

What say you?
    Last edited by redhawk61; 09-05-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Burrell is a slightly better hitter and fielder than Dunn. Maybe not by a mile, but still better.

The downside is that he's also older.

If Dickerson proves himself, he does have decent power. I believe Votto, Bruce, and Dickerson can provide the LH power this team needs. Dickerson also brings speed and defense.

EE and Phillips bring power, but we need one more RH power bat.

Turn Off Ads?