Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex Gonzalez update

Alex Gonzalez update

Reds notebook
    Gonzalez still in picture for Reds; Shortstop plans to play winter ball

By John Fay • jfay@enquirer.com • September 4, 2008

Shortstop Alex Gonzalez was in the Reds' team picture Wednesday.

Years from now, people trying to match the stats to the faces might be confused, because Gonzalez hasn't played an inning this year.

He's been on the disabled list since spring training with a compression fracture in his left knee. He had surgery to repair the fracture July 7.

He hasn't begun to run or do baseball activities yet.

But his knee is completely pain-free.

"I'll start doing weights soon," he said. "Nothing major."

The plan is for him to be running by November.

"I'll hit a little then," he said. "If I'm 100 percent, I'll play some winter ball."

He said he'd probably play in the lower level of winter ball and be used only as a designated hitter to get some at-bats - sort of a winter rehab assignment.

"If I'm ready, I'll jump to the big team (in winter ball)," he said. "That's my plan for right now."

His health is one of the major issues for the Reds in the offseason. Gonzalez is due to make $5.375 million next year in the final year of his three-year contract.

He's probably Plan A at shortstop.

Jeff Keppinger, who filled in so well last year and early this year, has struggled since returning from a knee injury of his own.

Keppinger's on-base (.312) and slugging (.347) percentages are below what Gonzalez put up last year (.325, .468).

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...809040356/1071

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alex Gonzalez update

Keppinger's on-base (.312) and slugging (.347) percentages are below what Gonzalez put up last year (.325, .468).

Ouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    another reminder on how short the organization is on overall talent.

I knew Keppinger was struggling, but wow...didn't think it was that bad.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I have no problem with AGon being Plan A for next year if healthy. Last years numbers (almost .800 ops) with IMO above average defense at SS would be dandy.
    Let's play two!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    I have no problem with AGon being Plan A for next year if healthy. Last years numbers (almost .800 ops) with IMO above average defense at SS would be dandy.
    except his defense was not above average by any measure.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

He should be allowed to be in the mix...but 2 years older and 2 years away from baseball....

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Reds notebook
    Gonzalez still in picture for Reds; Shortstop plans to play winter ball

By John Fay • jfay@enquirer.com • September 4, 2008

Shortstop Alex Gonzalez was in the Reds' team picture Wednesday.

Years from now, people trying to match the stats to the faces might be confused, because Gonzalez hasn't played an inning this year.

He's been on the disabled list since spring training with a compression fracture in his left knee. He had surgery to repair the fracture July 7.

He hasn't begun to run or do baseball activities yet.

But his knee is completely pain-free.

"I'll start doing weights soon," he said. "Nothing major."

The plan is for him to be running by November.

"I'll hit a little then," he said. "If I'm 100 percent, I'll play some winter ball."

He said he'd probably play in the lower level of winter ball and be used only as a designated hitter to get some at-bats - sort of a winter rehab assignment.

"If I'm ready, I'll jump to the big team (in winter ball)," he said. "That's my plan for right now."

His health is one of the major issues for the Reds in the offseason. Gonzalez is due to make $5.375 million next year in the final year of his three-year contract.

Jeff Keppinger, who filled in so well last year and early this year, has struggled since returning from a knee injury of his own.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...809040356/1071
    In none of this did they mention the year 2009. Gonzalez doesn't sound like someone who is pushing it at all. Frankly my dear, I don't think he gives a darn.

If I'm WJ, I'm lining up a new starting SS not named Keppinger or Hairston.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Ouch.
    Bench player, at least we learned it before giving him a long term deal like Mr.Farney.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    If I'm WJ, I'm lining up a new starting SS not named Keppinger or Hairston.
    Agreed. I'm hoping they go outside the organization. Chin-lung Hu is who I would be looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    In none of this did they mention the year 2009. Gonzalez doesn't sound like someone who is pushing it at all. Frankly my dear, I don't think he gives a darn.
    I seriously doubt he's talking about winter ball 2010. I really think you're making something out of nothing there.

The Gonzalez situation reveals one of Jocketty's key challenges; there simply aren't that many holes to be filled. It's counter-intuitive, but because we've got "decent" talent at so many spots, any improvement is going to have to come not just from adding good talent where we've got nothing, but from improvement over what we've already got. Now, a good deal of that could come from the young guys, namely Bruce, Votto, and EE and from the return to effectiveness of Harang and Arroyo. But it's going to take more than just adding a catcher and a LF.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    except his defense was not above average by any measure.
    Well, I was originally speaking from only observation, but since you said "by any measure" I thought I would look for one. Zone rating has him in the upper half of both the NL and MLB in 2007 of all SS playing in at least 100 games.

Certainly you could argue that either way as ZR is flawed as is all other defensive measurements, but there seems to be a difference in opinion and fact that discredits a "not by any measure" statement.
    Let's play two!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Bench player, at least we learned it before giving him a long term deal like Mr.Farney.
    Hairston is looking over his shoulder though at a more solid deal since he is arb eligible. Wanna bet Dusty wants it?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    Well, I was originally speaking from only observation, but since you said "by any measure" I thought I would look for one. Zone rating has him in the upper half of both the NL and MLB in 2007 of all SS playing in at least 100 games.

Certainly you could argue that either way as ZR is flawed as is all other defensive measurements, but there seems to be a difference in opinion and fact that discredits a "not by any measure" statement.
    I agree. Most defensive matrix are very subjective and incomplete. IMO, the bottom line is that we have to pay Gonzo regardless, and I'd prefer Gonzo at SS over Keppinger. Even for only the '09 season. Maybe platooning both of them in '09 we can get a league average SS.

But it is a position we are going to have to address. And one also has to consider what does the market look like this off-season at that position?

It's real easy for some to say that we need to go out and get a SS. Easier said then done.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?