Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Matt Holliday

Matt Holliday

There's a thread in ORG about the Reds being interested in Matt Holliday.

I remember hearing a rumor about the time Dunn was traded that said the Reds were going to trade Johnny Cueto, Juan Francisco and another prospect (Roenicke would be my guess) for Holliday in the offseason.

Basically, you end up upgrading Dunn with Holliday and downgrading Cueto with Owings.

So what does the Sun Deck think? Would anybody go for that trade?
    Last edited by kpresidente; 09-05-2008 at 05:27 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Matt Holliday

I might take that, IF the team resigns Holliday to a multiyear deal.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

I would not trade Cueto, even straight up.... now if Homer comes up and shows he has turned a corner, then I would be a little more forgiving if they traded Cueto as I like the prospects of Homer having a longer healthier career than Cueto
    my big question if Holliday is aquired becomes, what happens when Alonso is ready...?

However I will make a prediction of

Bailey
    Fraizer
    Lecure
    Last edited by redhawk61; 09-05-2008 at 07:05 PM.

No way any of Cueto, Volquez or Bruce should be offered to anyone, anywhere.

Everyone else should be on the table. A guy like Holliday, who the Rockies control for only one more season and who is still considered somewhat of a fluke considering he's played in Denver for half of his career, could be had for a considerably lesser sum than guys going into the market this year like CC and Tex.

I think it is very realistic that Jocketty tries to put together a package featuring one of either Votto, Edwin, Phillips or Harang, with some second-tier prospects, and gets him to agree to a 5 year deal.

I personally would love to see Holliday in Cincinnati. I think he'd rake in GAB and a defensive OF of Holliday-Dickerson-Bruce would help the staff out tremendously.

Most people in the ORG are hating on Holliday too which I don't totally understand. I think the Road Splits are being blown up a lot, and they worry about him moving out of Coors. However, GABP isn't exactly a pitcher's park. There wouldn't be as many games in AT&T, and Petco either. He's exactly what we need, power hitting righty bat....EVERYONE knows this. Only problem is we have to get him into a multi year deal. Hello Scott Boras.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    Most people in the ORG are hating on Holliday too which I don't totally understand. I think the Road Splits are being blown up a lot, and they worry about him moving out of Coors. However, GABP isn't exactly a pitcher's park. There wouldn't be as many games in AT&T, and Petco either. He's exactly what we need, power hitting righty bat....EVERYONE knows this. Only problem is we have to get him into a multi year deal. Hello Scott Boras.
    Yeah I don't get the hate either. Just look at his numbers, they are just down right sick and show the talent the man has. Some players have inflated numbers b/c of their ballpark and they look like solid ML's. But you don't put up the numbers Holliday does b/c of just a ballpark. The man is one of the most feared hitters in the league, and in my book is right up there with the Berkman's and Pujouls' of the world. He would change the entire dynamics of our lineup, and would automatically give us one of the best "O's" in the game.

just think of how much Holliday in the 3 hole could help Brandon if Brandon was placed in the 2 hole. His OBP isn't there right now. But I wouldn't bet against Brandon putting up a .350 OBP next year if Holliday was behind him.

Just imagine this lineup card:

Dickerson CF
    Phillips 2b
    Holliday LF
    Votto 1b
    EE 3b
    Bruce RF
    Whomever at SS
    Hanigan C

thats a division winning lineup
    Last edited by redhawk61; 09-05-2008 at 08:17 PM.

That is the key. Jocketty does have a history of acquiring players with a year left and then signing them long term. But the is not St. Louis, so I would feel more comfortable if they signed Holliday long term right after they acquire him, if they do acquire him.

Well inserting Holliday in the lineup isn't exactly going to make next year's team a contender. Still a helluva lot of work to be done with the bullpen, the bench, catcher, fifth starter. But what it will do is take loads of pressure off of Mr. Jay Bruce, which could make a world of difference with his progress and with the offensive progress of the team.

Holliday, if combined with the right types of offensive players surrounding him, could be the difference between a bottom-feeding offense and a top-5 in the league type offense, just by making the guys around him better. Now you have to figure at least one of Phillips or Votto will be going the other way in a trade, but the thought of pairing him with Bruce has me actually excited about the next few years. I can dream anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Well inserting Holliday in the lineup isn't exactly going to make next year's team a contender. Still a helluva lot of work to be done with the bullpen, the bench, catcher, fifth starter. But what it will do is take loads of pressure off of Mr. Jay Bruce, which could make a world of difference with his progress and with the offensive progress of the team.

Holliday, if combined with the right types of offensive players surrounding him, could be the difference between a bottom-feeding offense and a top-5 in the league type offense, just by making the guys around him better. Now you have to figure at least one of Phillips or Votto will be going the other way in a trade, but the thought of pairing him with Bruce has me actually excited about the next few years. I can dream anyway.
    I like our chances, if that were to happen. Most teams don't have an offensive force or even an average player at catcher, especially the Jocketty model. He signed Mike Matheny in StL for a reason. They're going to get a catch and throw guy to be back there, and I'm guessing it'll be Hanigan. The 5th starter spot is a revolving door on most teams, and we might have leverage there with a surplus of young players that can fill that spot. SS and maybe 3B if Edwin can't stay consistent are the only real weaknesses on this team (that is, assuming we get Holliday) in this scenario.

And he seems to have the type of personality and style of play that would play well in Cincinnati: hard-working baseball-lifer, high average run producer, "knows how to play the game"-type, limits mistakes.

It's unfortunate we have to think this way, but if Walt's going to spend a fortune on a guy these next five years, it better be someone the city can latch onto.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post

Phillips nor Votto will be in a deal if it happens, no inside source, but for the control we have over those two and the production they bring it wouldn't make sense. It will be pitching so think Arroyo, Bailey, Thompson, maybe even Harang as the center of the deal.

I still think if a deal ever were to be done it would be one with Bailey and Fraizer plus 1-2 more
    Last edited by redhawk61; 09-05-2008 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    Bailey and Fraizer plus 1-2 more
    would never think twice about it.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

would never think twice about it.
    ORG says it'll be Harang and Frazier +.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    ORG says it'll be Harang and Frazier +.
    Refuse to send Harang and talk them into Arroyo and Bailey instead.

I'm not for trading Cueto at all. Pitching wins championships.

Turn Off Ads?