Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Monday September 8th Dayton playoff game updates

Monday September 8th Dayton playoff game updates

Dayton is the only remaining team alive in the Reds organization. Game two gets underway at 6:30 with lefty Jeremy Horst pitching for the Dragons. A loss tonight eliminates Dayton from the playoffs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Monday September 8th Dayton playoff game updates

Game has been postponed

Re: Monday September 8th Dayton playoff game updates

Dragons arrive in South Bend in time for extra rest
    Game 2 of Midwest League playoff series postponed until today because of heavy rains.

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

SOUTH BEND, Ind. It turned out both teams rushed here following their Sunday night game in Dayton to get ready for game two of the East Division championship series Monday, Sept. 8.

It turned out the rush was for nothing. Even though a heavy rain stopped 21/2 hours before game time, weather reports indicated more was on the way (it was) and South Bend officials called the game with the Dragons.

Instead, the best-of-three series continues tonight, with the Dragons in the same predicament. They're down one game and can not lose another.

"I wanted to play," Dragons manager Donnie Scott said. "I've got no control over it. I've seen them call games early here, and I've seen games played in the mud. Waiting an extra day isn't going to hurt (pitcher) Jeremy Horst."

Horst, 8-2 with a 2.38 ERA during the regular season, pitched the opening game of the playoffs and beat Lansing, 3-1, allowing no runs in his 6 2/3 innings. He had two extra days of rest for that game, and will have an extra day of rest for this one.

The rainout should also allow the Silver Hawks to get some rest. They won their first series in West Michigan (Grand Rapids) on Saturday, then bussed the nearly six hours to Dayton the next day, and beat the Dragons, 5-2. Manager Mark Haley said his team would stay over in Dayton, but didn't, making the nearly five-hour trip home in mid-morning.

Haley admitted resting, "after traveling 580 miles in one day helps everybody," but said that wasn't the reason Monday's game was postponed.

"Our field does not hold water like Dayton's," Haley said. "Our drainage tile is aged."

South Bend officials had to get permission from Midwest League president George Spelius to postpone the game.

"When somebody tells me it's too wet, I go with them," Spelius said. "We still have time to get this series and the next one in. I'd hate to have a (playoff) game end after 51/2 innings."

The Dragons were informed of the game change as they boarded the bus to the ballpark. Some headed back to their rooms, some to the game room and some took the bus to a nearby mall. Outfielders Justin Reed and Denis Phipps dueled on NASCAR game machines, and both agreed with their manager.

"There's an NFL football game to watch starting at 7," Scott said. "I'm sure everybody will be watching that."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spdragons.html

Turn Off Ads?