Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Looking forward to next year: PITCHING

Looking forward to next year: PITCHING

So, the REDS have solved their bullpen problems.

For the entire season, their Relievers' Team ERA is 3rd in the National League at 3.76. 4th Best is 3.96, so it's not by just a fraction. They are solidly locked in 3rd place and are likely to end up there at the end of the year.

So, that leaves Starting pitching.

Is there any reason to believe that Harang and Cueto won't improve next year?

There's also no reason that Volquez won't duplicate what he did this season.

After that, every thing is a question mark.

I don't have any reason to believe that Arroyo will be any better next year than he was this year.

I don't think Thompson or Bailey are ready to contribute during the first half of the season next year.

Josh Fogg? You know what that will bring us. INNINGS.

Help will have to come from the outside for that 4th Pitcher.

Here's where the owner and Jockety get to do what they said they would...commit to winning.

Derek Lowe would be worth every dollar they can pay him in order to get him here and make him the #4 pitcher.

Let everyone else fight it out for the #5, #6, and #7 spots. You have to be at least 7 deep in starting pitching.

I want to be able to count on the Top-4 pitchers.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 09-09-2008 at 08:35 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Next Year

Re: Looking forward to next year: PITCHING

I think Arroyo will be fine. He's not the most consistent pitcher but for a guy who's making less than 5 milion a year you gotta like the cost effectiveness. A 5th starter who won't cost the farm is really all that's needed (really, how many teams really have that good of a 5th starter?). I don't think Lowe is the answer as a guy who's about to hit decline and will be expensive, especially considering catcher and shortstop are, IMO, more pressing needs.

But yeah, the pitching, for the most part, is in good shape.

part of BBN

I think Owings can be a decent #5 if Reds dont get someone else via trade/free agency.

How can you say you don't expect Arroyo to be better when he's 7-3 with a 3.13 ERA after the All-Star break?

He's already better.

Headed South

How can you say, with certainty, that Aaron Harang will be his old self again next year?

The guy will be 31 next season and has thrown over 210 innings the last four years.

I'm not sold on that at all.

The art of losing isn't hard to master.

- e.b.

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone12 View Post
    How can you say, with certainty, that Aaron Harang will be his old self again next year?
    The guy will be 31 next season and has thrown over 210 innings the last four years.
    I'm not sold on that at all.
    It hasn't been a gradual decline. It was really just 2 1/2 piss-poor months sandwiched between two good months.

6+ innings in each of his last 4 starts and only 9 earned runs (3.12 ERA), with 22 Ks, only 8 BB, and a 0.96 WHIP. Not certainty, but he looks to be back on track.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 09-09-2008 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    How can you say you don't expect Arroyo to be better when he's 7-3 with a 3.13 ERA after the All-Star break?

He's already better.

He did that last year, too, but he ended up with the worst first half pitching of any pitcher in all of baseball.

I expect the same thing next year.

As far as Harang. I think he just needed the rest that he got when they shut him down and add to that the rest he'll get this year, then he'll be ready to go next season.

If Arroyo does do fine, then that's a bonus. But, I wouldn't count on it as the General Manager of the ballclub.

He did that last year, too, but he ended up with the worst first half pitching of any pitcher in all of baseball.

I expect the same thing next year.
    Not exactly the same last year. He was back and forth throughout the season.

This year is different. There's a definative split where he starts pitching better.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 09-09-2008 at 09:52 PM.

I do believe we may have another contender for the 5th spot in the rotation next year! Shutting down a play off contending team tonight - very impressive. Ramirez just may surprise next year. I still think it will be Volquez, Harang, Cueto, Arroyo and Owings though.

Provided they don't acquire a No. 5, that spot, it appears, will come down to these seven guys. I'd handicap them in the following order. Feel free to submit your own list.

1. Owings
    2. R.Ramirez
    3. Bailey
    4. Thompson
    5. Pettyjohn
    6. Masset
    7. Maloney

I do still want a new pitching coach and for sure a new manager. Walks are important, Dustbag.

dick pole is sooo terrible.. when he comes out to the mound.,. i normally go out to the fridge to get a cold one....

Turn Off Ads?