Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Bold prediction: Brandon Phillips has played his last game as a Red

Re: Bold prediction: Brandon Phillips has played his last game as a Red

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    The Rockies can't ask a lot in return for a one year rental. Holliday is leaving Colorado. From their standpoint Phillips plus Maloney is a lot better than 2 draft picks. From the Reds standpoint IF they get a 72 hour window its a good deal for us. This trade was just an example.

Phillips will go ( my prediction ) to fix problems elsewhere.

I don't suggest platooning Richar and Kep. This is just one idea. I would try Kep, Richar, Rosales or even Hairston at 2B until Valaika is ready. Heck if we get a better SS gonzalez could play 2B. The point is we have lots of options here and a good prospect in AA which we have holes elsewhere. Add to it Phillips's HR & SB total look good but his OPS+ is pedestrian and we have a prime trade candidate.
    Maloney isn't going to excite a trade partner. If the choice is MM or a comp pick, the choice is probably comp pick.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Phillips broke his finger, and had to have surgery, right? I wouldn't trade for him with the expectation that he'll necessarily be the same hitter he was before.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Phillips broke his finger, and had to have surgery, right? I wouldn't trade for him with the expectation that he'll necessarily be the same hitter he was before.
    He should be better! I wouldn't worry about Phillips injury. That is a pretty common procedure. He would probably be back mid October if the Reds needed him.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    As screwball points out, it's not "give up" -- it's "cash in".
    I just don't think you'd be cashing in right now. He's hurt and played tired the 2nd half. Last year might've been cashing out and certainly they should've listened to offers. But he's an atheletic 27yo and the odds are that he'll play his best baseball over the next few years at a reasonable cost and provide a few things this team lacks -- defense, speed and righty power.

Considering this team's needs, if I were to trade Brandon Phillips, I'd want two or three potential Brandon Phillipses back.

From Fay's blog:

The Reds are shooting a video -- for a 2009 promo I assume. The participants are Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips, Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto and Jeff Keppinger. This is probably reading too much into it, but you'd think none of those guys will be traded. So does Edwin Encarnacion not being part of it mean anything?

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Fay's blog:

The Reds are shooting a video -- for a 2009 promo I assume. The participants are Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips, Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto and Jeff Keppinger. This is probably reading too much into it, but you'd think none of those guys will be traded. So does Edwin Encarnacion not being part of it mean anything?

Volquez, Harang, and Cordero aren't on it either. Guess they're on the block too?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Volquez, Harang, and Cordero aren't on it either. Guess they're on the block too?
    Fay is just a blockhead. I think he's reading way too much into that.

Maybe, maybe not. I've thought all along that Edwin would be traded if the right deal comes along. Why? Because both the manager and GM love defense, that's why.

And the excuse that Harang, Volquez, etc. weren't in there doesn't hold water. All four included are position players--no pitchers. And I wouldn't bet the farm that if the right deal comes along, they could be missing, too. It's kind of like the argument of Griffey's 600th HR meaning he would stay with the Reds. All the banners and such didn't protect him from being traded. I think Fay raises an interesting question.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I've thought all along that Edwin would be traded if the right deal comes along. Why? Because both the manager and GM love defense, that's why.

And the excuse that Harang, Volquez, etc. weren't in there doesn't hold water. All four included are position players--no pitchers. And I wouldn't bet the farm that if the right deal comes along, they could be missing, too. It's kind of like the argument of Griffey's 600th HR meaning he would stay with the Reds. All the banners and such didn't protect him from being traded. I think Fay raises an interesting question.
    The participants are Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips, Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto and Jeff Keppinger
    Not that it means much but hey.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

That seems like a really random group of players if you ask me...

Injured players get pennies on the dollar in trade, even when the injury's not that bad. Looks like the Reds aren't going to move Phillips this offseason. Maybe spring. I don't really mind because he's a good defender, but I like having options open.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Fay's blog:

Kearns and Lopez were all over the website and IIRC the tickets for the season ticket holders in the year of the trade.

I guess the plan is to have Keppinger back. Hopefully not as the starting SS.

Adam Kennedy wants out of St. Louis, asking for a trade, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Any chance we'd be interested if Phillips winds up in Colorado or elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Adam Kennedy wants out of St. Louis, asking for a trade, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Any chance we'd be interested if Phillips winds up in Colorado or elsewhere?
    I sure hope not.

Turn Off Ads?