Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Votto's OPS...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,388

    Votto's OPS...

    Is at .839.

    It's 5th in the NL and, surprisingly, leads Fielder, Lee and Gonzalez.

    Marginally behind Howard's.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Re: Votto's OPS...

    OPS+ is a better stat. It is adjusted for park. Votto's is a very good 115.

    Here is a link to the Reds page at baseball reference which lists OPS+ and ERA+. http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/2008.shtml
    .

  4. #3
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Votto's OPS...

    Do work son, do work.

    Votto's had a better rookie campaign than our savior, Jay Bruce.

    Can't wait til we run them both out of town...

    Who's still got their pitchfork sharpened, and their torch lit?

  5. #4
    Member harangatang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Votto's OPS...

    Votto now leads in the Reds in OPS+ but when Dunn was traded Encarnacion actually lead the Reds in OPS+. Votto and EE are the only full-time Reds that are above league average (OPS+ over 100) which is scary.

  6. #5
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,839

    Re: Votto's OPS...

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Do work son, do work.

    Votto's had a better rookie campaign than our savior, Jay Bruce.
    To be fair, Votto just turned 25 yesterday while Bruce turned 21 back in April.

  7. #6
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,038

    Re: Votto's OPS...

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Do work son, do work.

    Votto's had a better rookie campaign than our savior, Jay Bruce.

    Can't wait til we run them both out of town...

    Who's still got their pitchfork sharpened, and their torch lit?
    It takes a few years for the fan base to turn on its players. Adam Dunn was generally liked his first few years in the bigs. I think he avoids the fan base's wrath through the end of next season. But if he doesn't win a gold glove, the batting title, MVP, a silver slugger and have at least 160 RBIs in 2010, then look out.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  8. #7
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Votto's OPS...

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    To be fair, Votto just turned 25 yesterday while Bruce turned 21 back in April.
    While I understand the age difference, Joe Q Redsfan knows that Bruce is the hyped savior and probably couldn't pick Votto out of a police lineup. It makes perfect sense that Votto would be more physically, and possibly mentally and emotionally, mature, but at the end of the day, Bruce is the next big thing for Reds baseball.

    Bruce is held to a much higher standard that Votto. Say this is the end of 2009, and Votto's coming off back to back big seasons, then he might be held to Bruce's standard.

    I wanna see both of them in a Reds uni for a long long time. That's the only thing I know for certain.

  9. #8
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Votto's OPS...

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    It takes a few years for the fan base to turn on its players. Adam Dunn was generally liked his first few years in the bigs. I think he avoids the fan base's wrath through the end of next season. But if he doesn't win a gold glove, the batting title, MVP, a silver slugger and have at least 160 RBIs in 2010, then look out.
    I think if Bruce doesn't put up Dunn numbers for 2009, look out.

  10. #9
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,839

    Re: Votto's OPS...

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I wanna see both of them in a Reds uni for a long long time. That's the only thing I know for certain.
    I agree 100% with that.

  11. #10
    WOOOOO!!! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,366

    Re: Votto's OPS...

    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    OPS+ is a better stat. It is adjusted for park. Votto's is a very good 115.

    Here is a link to the Reds page at baseball reference which lists OPS+ and ERA+. http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/2008.shtml
    And Gonzalez has an OPS+ of 127, Fielder 116, and Lee 114...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  12. #11
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,501

    Re: Votto's OPS...

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I think if Bruce doesn't put up Dunn numbers for 2009, look out.
    His strikeout rate's on a pretty good pace

  13. #12
    2009: Fail Ltlabner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,441

    Re: Votto's OPS...

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Votto's had a better rookie campaign than our savior, Jay Bruce.
    The Reds front office's fixation on having the next "savior" mystifies me. As you point out, Bruce has already been apointed that role, much as Homer was when he made his debut.

    Votto's had a solid and impressive rookie campaign.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

    I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    9,967

    Re: Votto's OPS...

    I think if Bruce doesn't put up Dunn numbers for 2009, look out.
    Disagree. Bruce is much more the type of player fans enjoy -- Dunn's 3-true outcome performance pattern, plus inconsistent defense, plus laidback vibe, tests the patience of fans. If the team falls by the wayside again, I think EdE, if he's around, will become a target.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  15. #14
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    7,948

    Re: Votto's OPS...

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Disagree. Bruce is much more the type of player fans enjoy -- Dunn's 3-true outcome performance pattern, plus inconsistent defense, plus laidback vibe, tests the patience of fans. If the team falls by the wayside again, I think EdE, if he's around, will become a target.
    Good observation.

    Why do you think scrappy types are fan favorites? They give the appearance that they care and work hard regardless of their actual performance.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  16. #15
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    6,974

    Re: Votto's OPS...

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Good observation.

    Why do you think scrappy types are fan favorites? They give the appearance that they care and work hard regardless of their actual performance.
    Exactly.

    A player caught stealing 3rd with no outs is exciting.

    A player walking with a man on 2nd isn't.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25