Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Position changes on the horizon?

Position changes on the horizon?

The same three RedsZone is always discussing. EE, Votto, and Phillips.

From John Fay:

Moving players around is a common sports talk solution to the Reds' problems. Fans have been talking about moving Edwin Encarnacion to first since he became the third baseman. Moving Joey Votto from first base to left field is another move that batted around from time to time. Brandon Phillips to shortstop completes the trio.

Walt Jocketty didn't dismiss playing musical positions.

"It's too early in the evaluation period to say right now," Jocketty said. "But it gives us some added flexibility."

Votto, Encarnacion and Phillips have the best offensive numbers of the current Reds. Whether the Reds would move any of them, depends on who's available to fill the team's other needs.

Jocketty mentioned playing Votto in the outfield after the Reds signed top pick Yonder Alonso. It still could happen -- down the road.

"At some point, yes," Jocketty said. "But we're not going to try it now. That's something you try during spring training."

Votto has made 11 errors this year. That's fourth most of any first baseman in the National League. He played six games in left year. He's athletic enough to play left and he has an above average arm.

Encarnacion has the second most errors of the any third baseman in the NL. He played two games at first in 2006. The majority of his errors are on throws. The theory is if he goes to first he won't have to throw as often, thus he won't make as many errors.

Phillips came up as a shortstop. But he's only played five games there in the majors. Phillips has played Gold Glove caliber second base. Alex Gonzalez is under contract for next year. If he's healthy, it's unlikely the Reds would move Phillips.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Position changes on the horizon?

I fully believe that Edwin Encarnacion could be a gold glove first baseman. Nobody ever questions his range or ability to pick it. If you eliminate the throw, you're onto something.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

The problem with moving these guys is who plays third? Kepp, Rosales, someone from the outside? Now you have 3 guys uncomfortable at their positions at the same time which can't help your defense.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    The problem with moving these guys is who plays third? Kepp, Rosales, someone from the outside? Now you have 3 guys uncomfortable at their positions at the same time which can't help your defense.
    Rosales, without a doubt. He's got the glove, the arm and the bat. He started off slowly this year, but only got better and better as the year progressed. Eventually I think Frazier or Fransisco will take over that position, but Adam is MORE than capable enough. Even if he does stuggle at the plate, his glove work at least makes him a non-liability. Kepp should be a bench utility player. He's good and I want him on our team, but he is NOT a starter. Neither is Hairston or Freel.

If they do this, and EE moves to first, he'll be gone once Alonso comes up. So if the Reds play musical chairs, the real purposes is probably to get Votto to the outfield (where he can stay) and to get EE at first (so he can be moved once Yonder Alonso is ready). That's the way I read it.

If they do this, I think the Reds will get a third baseman from the outside. I can't see them giving the job to Rosales, as a starter.

Doubtful to me they move Phillips to shortstop. Don't see how this helps the defense.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-12-2008 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If they do this, and EE moves to first, he'll be gone once Alonso comes up. So if the Reds play musical chairs, the real purposes is probably to get Votto to the outfield (where he can stay) and to get EE at first (so he can be moved once Yonder Alonso is ready). That's the way I read it.

If they do this, I think the Reds will get a third baseman from the outside. I can't see them giving the job to Rosales, as a starter.

Doubtful to me they move Phillips to shortstop. Don't see how this helps the defense.
    I pretty much agree with this. IMO Votto will make a better left fielder than a 1B. He has the skills to be ok in the OF (as long as he can judge a fly ball), but his play on the 1B bag is seriously lacking and impacts the whole IF IMO.

EdE to 1B is probably best, but his bat is somewhat pedestrian and if he is to be traded, I wonder if its not better to leave him at 3B where his bat looks a lot better. Some team will think they can fix his footwork and deal for him as a 3B.

I think Phillips to SS is a curious fix. He's a good 2B, and while SS is more important than 2B, its primarily arm strength that separates the two spots. A switch with Phillips to SS and Keppinger to 2B seems like a net zero as far as MI range goes, and that seems like the problem the team needs to solve. I think the best solution is to bring in a real SS while leaving Phillips at 2B, otherwise, the team is simply shuffling the problem around. I'd only be in favor of a Phillips move if the team were to acquire a top notch 2B (Orlando Hudson?) in conjunction with the move.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

So... if you move Votto to LF, do you then move Dickerson to CF?

But I say move EE to 1B and let him see what it feels like trying to field those erratic throws!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I suppose this is where the Adrian Beltre rumors come back in. He's excellent defensively, could probably be had for a reasonable price (at least compared with his old contract), and hits from the right side. Plus, we've got Bavasi on board, so there is a legitimate connection to the M's FO.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

An infield with Beltre at 3B, A-Gon at SS and Phillips at 2B could really pick it.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    So... if you move Votto to LF, do you then move Dickerson to CF?
    Dickerson is a natural center fielder.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Dickerson is a natural center fielder.
    What? He was born that way? I didn't know that was possible.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I fully believe that Edwin Encarnacion could be a gold glove first baseman. Nobody ever questions his range or ability to pick it.

I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I do.

Have you ever personally watched him play?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Have you ever personally watched him play?
    Yes.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I fully believe that Edwin Encarnacion could be a gold glove first baseman. Nobody ever questions his range or ability to pick it. If you eliminate the throw, you're onto something.
    Moving EE to first seems like a logical move. Most of his errors are on throws and a first baseman rarely needs to throw. My only 'problem with it is that EE has a great arm, but he never sets his feet...it's like his feet are permanently stuck in mud. At first base you don't need to throw but footwork is VERY important. I'm not sure EE would be a great firstbaseman for that reason... I fear he'd take the throw and then reach for the bag instead of getting to the bag and then stretching for the throw. Who knows? I still think it's worth a try just to keep his bat in the lineup.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?