Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corey Patterson versus our other CF's this year

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Corey Patterson versus our other CF's this year

I was doing a little research today and decided to run the numbers of everyone on our team who has gotten an inning in this year in CF. Here are their numbers:

345 PA - .200/.237/.342
    346 PA - .300/.364/.461

I bet you can guess which one is Corey Patterson and then which one is Hairston/Bruce/Dickerson/Hopper/Freel.

Thats just downright scary that Patterson still gets all of the time in CF.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Corey Patterson versus our other CF's this year

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I was doing a little research today and decided to run the numbers of everyone on our team who has gotten an inning in this year in CF. Here are their numbers:

345 PA - .200/.237/.342
    346 PA - .300/.364/.461

I bet you can guess which one is Corey Patterson and then which one is Hairston/Bruce/Dickerson/Hopper/Freel.

Corey is the best defender in the group, right? Or is Dickerson considered his equal defensively?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Corey is the best defender in the group, right? Or is Dickerson considered his equal defensively?
    Patterson is probably the best, though Dickerson is close. Though you'd have to be Sean Casey in CF to make up the difference between their offensive performances.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Patterson is probably the best, though Dickerson is close. Though you'd have to be Sean Casey in CF to make up the difference between their offensive performances.
    I agree but I think Dusty is going with his best defense. Everyone on Doug's list is unavailable right now anyway except for Bruce and Hairston and the Reds see Bruce as the long-term right-fielder.

345 PA - .200/.237/.342
    346 PA - .300/.364/.461

Except that Bruce, Dickerson, Hopper, and Freel are all currently injured, and Hairston is starting in RF in Bruce's absence.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

345 PA - .200/.237/.342
    346 PA - .300/.364/.461

Won't surprise me to see him, Hairston and Bako back next year. If you use 12 pitchers, and 13 position players, that would leave what in positions available to improve the team with those three taking up positions on the roster?

Dusty: 'Hey Walt. How about bringing Paul & Corey back next year?'

Walt: 'No.'

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Except that Bruce, Dickerson, Hopper, and Freel are all currently injured, and Hairston is starting in RF in Bruce's absence.
    Yep. Not many options for Dusty at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Which is fine, except that only for the last week or so has Dickerson not been available, yet he has 8 times the playing time in LF than he does in CF and Dickerson is every bit as good in CF, if not better, than Corey Patterson is defensively.

Not that it matters, the point is more that anyone is better than Patterson out there.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Yep. Not many options for Dusty at the moment.
    At the moment, yes...

but this is really about the abuse that Reds fans have endured at the top of the batting order for a large part of this entire season.

Those 345 PA did not accumulate overnight.

High five!

345 PA - .200/.237/.342
    346 PA - .300/.364/.461

OK, so don't keep us on tenterhooks!

What's the answer?

Which is fine, except that only for the last week or so has Dickerson not been available, yet he has 8 times the playing time in LF than he does in CF and Dickerson is every bit as good in CF, if not better, than Corey Patterson is defensively.

Not that it matters, the point is more that anyone is better than Patterson out there.
    If Patterson and Dickerson are both in the lineup, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference which one plays LF and which plays CF.

I'm not saying Patterson is great, he has had a bad year at the plate. But given our lack of depth and young pitching, his playing time is justifiable.
    It's not as if Patterson is stealing time from a legit prospect.
    The young pitching can use his defense (as opposed to putting a statue in LF and Dickerson in CF )
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Additionally, he has 155 PA batting leadoff at .182/.217/.322!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If Patterson and Dickerson are both in the lineup, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference which one plays LF and which plays CF.

I'm not saying Patterson is great, he has had a bad year at the plate. But given our lack of depth and young pitching, his playing time is justifiable.
    It's not as if Patterson is stealing time from a legit prospect.
    The young pitching can use his defense (as opposed to putting a statue in LF and Dickerson in CF )
    I think if both Dickerson and Patterson are in the lineup it matters even more who is playing CF. One guy is going to be on the team next year and one guy shouldn't be in the majors next year. Yet the guy who shouldn't be in the majors next year is playing the position of the guy who will be here next year. Dickerson won't be playing LF next year, so why wasn't he given the chance to play where he will play next year, CF, and learn the outfield better (the walls, Jay Bruce in RF and other things)?

I think if both Dickerson and Patterson are in the lineup it matters even more who is playing CF. One guy is going to be on the team next year and one guy shouldn't be in the majors next year. Yet the guy who shouldn't be in the majors next year is playing the position of the guy who will be here next year. Dickerson won't be playing LF next year, so why wasn't he given the chance to play where he will play next year, CF, and learn the outfield better (the walls, Jay Bruce in RF and other things)?
    Maybe Dickerson isn't in the team's plans for CF next year. Maybe Walt sees him as a reserve outfielder and plans to go outside the organization for a full-time centerfielder for '09. I don't know. Just guessing.

Turn Off Ads?