Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Micah Owings finally comes to the Reds, B. Phillips to 60 day DL

Re: Micah Owings finally comes to the Reds, B. Phillips to 60 day DL

Owings still has some horrendous discipline issues at the plate. He'll fall back a lot IMO. Of course, he needs lots of at-bats which he hasn't gotten.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Owings still has some horrendous discipline issues at the plate. He'll fall back a lot IMO. Of course, he needs lots of at-bats which he hasn't gotten.
    Can we rework his contract and send him to the minors?

Does he have options left after this year? I would assume he has a couple left as he appears to only have had time in the majors the last two seasons.

Micah Owings does not apply. He is a pitcher who can't pitch right now, but he isn't useless.

Owings, who has put away his slider and changeup for the year due to an injury, still carries a bat — and for a good reason.

The guy can hit.

The Brewers and C.C. Sabathia discovered that Saturday when Reds manager Dusty Baker sent Owings up to pinch-hit.

The bases were loaded with one out and the Reds down a run when Owings fought off a 1-and-2 pitch and lobbed a two-run single down the right-field line that gave the Reds a one-run lead. They held on for a 4-3 victory.

After making life miserable and unbearable for the Brewers in Milwaukee recently, then ruining Arizona's hopes and dashing St. Louis' prayers for a wild card, the Reds are in the process of squashing Milwaukee's wild-card ambitions. The Reds have beaten Milwaukee four of five over less than a two-week period.

It was the second game-winning pinch-hit for Owings since the Reds acquired him from Arizona in the Adam Dunn trade.

"C.C. was throwing a great game, and I'd never faced him before, and I was just trying to put something out there," he said. "I love hitting, and I've been blessed from an early age to be able to hit.

"I just love playing the game," Owings added. "It was a disappointing season as far as pitching goes. I know I'm a lot better than what I showed, then I hurt my arm.

"I feel a lot better now, and they made the decision to shut me down from pitching, but at least they are letting me swing the bat," he said.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spredsweb.html

Owings can pitch every fifth day and be our late inning pinch hitter the rest of the time. The league won't see too much of him at the plate to get the book on him and we can finally get rid of Valentin. It may also stir up some competition for the other pitchers to work a little harder on their hitting.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The bases were loaded with one out and the Reds down a run when Owings fought off a 1-and-2 pitch and lobbed a two-run single down the right-field line that gave the Reds a one-run lead. They held on for a 4-3 victory.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spredsweb.html

That's the second time I've seen that reported wrong.

Owings did not fight off a 1-2 pitch. He swung at a 2-0 inside pitch (which would have been ball 3) and got lucky and looped it into RF.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    That's the second time I've seen that reported wrong.

Owings did not fight off a 1-2 pitch. He swung at a 2-0 inside pitch (which would have been ball 3) and got lucky and looped it into RF.
    Also, there were two outs.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?