Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Micah Owings finally comes to the Reds, B. Phillips to 60 day DL

Re: Micah Owings finally comes to the Reds, B. Phillips to 60 day DL

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Hitters don't do that because if they're caught the next pitch they see will be aimed at their ear. I'm sure that's a lesson Owings would have learned the hard way if he hit more frequently. Though perhaps being a pitcher himself buys him a little freedom.
    I don't know that I buy that. There seem to be less than a handful of pitchers in baseball who are even agressive inside anymore, much less aim one at the ear hole. I would be astonished if more than 5% of the league's pitchers responded this way if it became routine for hitters to wear surveillance equipment in the back of their helmets or stole signs with mirrors strategically placed in their cleats. This is not exactly the day of Don Drysdale and Bob Gibson.

2. Turn Off Ads?

We know we saw something incredible ó a few incredible things ó Saturday night in Chase Field.

Most incredibly, we saw pitcher Micah Owings (he plays for the Reds now, you know?) rip a run-scoring pinch-hit double in the 10th inning to lift the Reds to a 3-2 victory over the Diamondbacks.

We know that Owings, formerly with the Diamondbacks, joined the Reds Friday to complete the trade of Adam Dunn to Arizona and we know manager Dusty Baker said, "Owings probably won't pitch the rest of this year, but I might use him as a pinch-hitter."

And so he did. And so the Reds won.

We know that Owings spent nearly a month with a sore shoulder, which is why when Baker was asked, "When will Owings pitch for the Reds," Baker said, "Next year."

So how much has Owings swung a bat in that month? "I took batting practice yesterday and today," said Owings. "They wouldn't let me swing during the treatment for my shoulder."

Nearly a half hour after his hit, Owings said, "I still haven't comprehended what I just did. But it means a lot. I was grateful for the opportunity. I thought it might hook foul, but it stayed fair."

Barely.

"When I told him in the 10th that he might hit, he couldn't wait to hit and he came through big-time," said Baker. "How ironic is that he he came through like that in his first game back here?"

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...408spreds.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I don't know too much about Owings, but the obvious question is why he isn't being converted to left field? He looked better up there than most of the Reds' right handed hitters.

I wasn't joking with what I said in the beginning of the thread, he is easily the best candidate the Reds have to be a slugging LF.

Stick him out there and see how he does ... it is a no-brainer.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I don't know too much about Owings, but the obvious question is why he isn't being converted to left field? He looked better up there than most of the Reds' right handed hitters.
    Maybe he'll end up pitching and hitting. There were rumors AZ was thinking about having him play 1B a couple days a week. Very intriguing baseball athlete. But I think the jury's out on how to handle him until they get a good read on how he bounces back from his shoulder injury.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I can see him being a backup 1B...emergency OF.....it's like having an extra GOOD bench player....instead of wasting time on a veteran that sucks. Also allows for less whining as to why that bad said veteran is on the team and why Baker loves them vets and when is he going to be released.

Michaw Owings....the Red's version of Don Newcombe circa 1959.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I wasn't joking with what I said in the beginning of the thread, he is easily the best candidate the Reds have to be a slugging LF.

Stick him out there and see how he does ... it is a no-brainer.
    I agree.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

So if he pitches for the Reds in 2009, and plays some OF or 1B here and there, what's the breakdown of the roster look like?

Do we carry 1 more pitcher, or 1 less pitcher?

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    So if he pitches for the Reds in 2009, and plays some OF or 1B here and there, what's the breakdown of the roster look like?

Do we carry 1 more pitcher, or 1 less pitcher?
    1 more catcher!

It surprises me that an AL team didn't go very hard after Owings. Imagine him pitching and then DHing. His dual role would be even more valuable. I'm happy the Reds have him, though. From what I've seen so far of Castillo, with Owings potential and a wild card in the low minors in Buck I like the trade more than ever compared to draft choices.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    1 more catcher!
    The sad part is I was thinking the exact same thing while typing.

Part of me really thought "If Owings pitches and plays in the field a day or 3 in between pitching starts, then we could realistically carry 4 catchers".

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    The sad part is I was thinking the exact same thing while typing.

Part of me really thought "If Owings pitches and plays in the field a day or 3 in between pitching starts, then we could realistically carry 4 catchers".
    Sweet. A catching staff!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

He looks to be a really good hitter - for a pitcher. My guess is that if he played on a regular basis, he wouldn't be that good. We see him in pinch hitting appearancs and when he's pitching and it's just a limited sample size. Like how everyone thinks Javy is a good pinch hitter cause he was good 2 years ago.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    It surprises me that an AL team didn't go very hard after Owings. Imagine him pitching and then DHing. His dual role would be even more valuable. I'm happy the Reds have him, though. From what I've seen so far of Castillo, with Owings potential and a wild card in the low minors in Buck I like the trade more than ever compared to draft choices.
    It's the wrong direction for a pitcher to travel (NL to AL) projection-wise and DH typically has the highest bar concerning offensive production.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He looks to be a really good hitter - for a pitcher. My guess is that if he played on a regular basis, he wouldn't be that good. We see him in pinch hitting appearancs and when he's pitching and it's just a limited sample size. Like how everyone thinks Javy is a good pinch hitter cause he was good 2 years ago.
    It's definitely a small sample size, but Owings has not been just good for a pitcher. His career OPS is .913, that is higher than Adam Dunn's. No I don't think it would stay that high if he was an every day position player, but I think it's reasonable to think that Owings could hit enough to be a capable starting LF.

For the record, Owings had a 1.189 OPS during his senior year at Tulane. I don't think his bat is a fluke.

Turn Off Ads?