Marlins’ Olsen gets 1st win in 10 starts

MIAMI (AP)—The Florida Marlins were just as excited to set a record as they were to get a win.

Scott Olsen got his first victory in 10 starts, Jorge Cantu hit a record-setting home run for Florida and the Marlins beat the Washington Nationals 2-1 Friday night.

Cantu’s solo homer that tied the score at 1 in the fourth was his 25th of the season. The Marlins are now the first team in Major League history to have four infielders hit at least 25. Mike Jacobs (32), Dan Uggla (30), Hanley Ramirez (29) and Cantu have accounted for 116 of the Marlins 188 homers this season.

“I got it done and it’s a great thing, too, that we won,” Cantu said. “When they look back a hundred years from now we’re the first team to do it.”
Cantu last homered Tuesday night at Philadelphia and the other players were aware they were on the verge of the record.

“Anytime you can be part of history or do something that’s never been done before it’s something they can never take away from us,” Jacobs said.

Olsen (7-10) gave up one run and six hits in six innings for his first win since July 19th against Philadelphia.

“My best stuff wasn’t there and they had guys on base in just about every inning,” Olsen said. “That’s usually what hurts me. I tried to focus when guys are on base. I tried to keep my team in the game.”

Kevin Gregg and Joe Nelson pitched one scoreless inning each and Matt Lindstrom pitched a perfect ninth to get his third save in six opportunities.
Florida went ahead 2-1 in the sixth on a throwing error by the Nationals. With Ramirez on second, John Baker hit a sharp grounder to Washington starter Shairon Martis, who threw behind Ramirez to second as he ran to third. Shortstop Cristian Guzman, who was covering second on the play, then threw wildly to third, allowing Ramirez to score.

“I threw behind him and he took the lead on me,” Martis said. “Those are the things that can cost me a game. Maybe if I get one out I get out of the inning.”

Martis (0-2) pitched 5-plus innings, giving up two runs while striking out nine. It was the 21-year-old rookie’s second career start. Martis and three Washington relievers combined to finish with 13 strikeouts.

Ramirez was glad to be involved in the historical aspect but also excited to win the game.

“It’s a good feeling,” Ramirez said. “We have a game to play. We did it and we just congratulated each other and that’s it.”

Uggla has 84 home runs as a second baseman in his first three seasons.
“You expect those numbers out of your first or third baseman,” Uggla said. “Everybody that plays in our infield has big-time power. This is something for all of us, knowing that we did it.”