Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Can a player become a two-way player today (pitcher and fielder)?

Can a player become a two-way player today (pitcher and fielder)?

was just thinking but can a player now days become a 2 way player , say pitch every 5th day and start 2-3 games a week in the field , was just wondering because theres no doubt in my mind that owings could become a great hitter if he quit pitching and consertrated on just hitting and playing the outfield. or is 162 games a season just too much a grind with wear tear of the players body .

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: question

I can't see this happening. I don't think you could put a pitcher in a fielding position and let him injure his arm by throwing out runners. I think you have to protect that pitching arm. If you were going to use a pitcher this way--AKA Owings--maybe first base would be a possibility.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: question

Quote Originally Posted by fitz1 View Post
    I can't see this happening. I don't think you could put a pitcher in a fielding position and let him injure his arm by throwing out runners. I think you have to protect that pitching arm. If you were going to use a pitcher this way--AKA Owings--maybe first base would be a possibility.
    Owings doesn't project to being league average at first base.

It does bring in interesting PH opportunities and possible double moves if he is kept as the 6th man/long reliever though. I couldn't see a legitimate starter being used in such a fashion though.

Re: Can a player become a two-way player today (pitcher and fielder)?

Well I would take Arroyo to pinch hit over Patterson any day of the week.

I guess nothing Patterson does gets him any love?

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie52 View Post
    I guess nothing Patterson does gets him any love?
    I'd throw some love his way if he retired.

Risking injury running bases, sliding, etc. as big a concern as throwing out runners. Too big a chance to take for a pitcher.IMO. As others have stated, I'm not sure his offensive numbers would project as a full time player. But, I'm glad to have him as a Red, however we use him.

IMO the physical and mental grind would be overwhelming. To excel as either a pitcher or position player at the ML level requires focus and work. In high school and college where we see this done, not only is the level of competition lower, but the schedule is not as demanding. Moreover, if his OPS sagged or ERA went up, there would be strong pressure to concentrate on only one aspect of his game. We would probably have a running thread on this board.

I agree that the double switch possibilities are interesting. It was not uncommon in the past to move a starting pitcher to another position and bring in a relief pitcher to face one critical batter. The starter would then return to the mound and a new outfielder would enter the game. I could see this occurring if Owings were scheduled to bat the next inning and the outfielder being replaced had batted the preceding ending. By contrast, what is done today is take the starter out of the game, then pitch hit for the reliever in the next inning. In effect, leaving Owings in the game could save a pitcher while giving Owings an at bat instead of a pinch hitter. We could call it the Herrera-Owings switch.

I think they team will have to decide on one or the other come spring training. It's a good decision to have to make.

If he's capable of contributing to the rotation or the bullpen I think you have to give him a slot. This team has been too starved for too long in those regards. Now if he does make the staff he can be used as a late-game pinch hitter and could very well be the best guy on the team for RHPH.

If they detect something is wrong with his shoulder, a problem that would prevent him from becoming a useful starter or reliever, then I would instantly try him at LF. Let him settle in and give him a good couple of months to adjust to hitting major league pitching on a regular basis and watch what happens.

It'll be fun to watch and see what this team does with Owings. He will contribute to next year's team positively in some form or another, but will not be a two-way threat.

Using Arroyo and Patterson as the example, you could pinch hit with Arroyo late in the game, then pinch run Arroyo with Patterson.

I just blew your mind.

Hmm....

We're starting to get into LaRussa territory. Follow this to its logical end and we end up with the trainer playing first in an extra inning game.

Turn Off Ads?