Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HBO's New Season of Original Programming

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HBO's New Season of Original Programming

Did anyone watch the season opener for Entourage and the series opener for True Blood? My wife and I have a 3 week old son, so we don't get out as much as we used to, and since we're not sleeping we have plenty of extra time to watch stupid TV shows.

We've watched Entourage from the beginning of the series. Unfortunately it's gotten very boring and predictable. The first episode of this season went pretty much according to the pattern they've used all along. I had kinda hoped they would change it up a little this year. I guess not.

I watched True Blood. I was actually kind of excited about this series. It's kinda of a cool concept; vampires joining mainstream society. After watching the first episode I think they could have done a lot more with it. Making fun of the hillbillies in the backwoods of Louisiana? Hillbillies are dumb? Verrrry edgy and original. I'll watch another episode, but I'm not expecting much better.

HBO has come a long way from the Sopranos and Deadwood. I am excited for the return of Flight of the Concords, but that won't be until next year.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: HBO's New Season of Original Programming

I've seen a pre-air of the second episode of True Blood. It's definitely a show that I'm going to keep watching. It has a lot of potential and I thought that the second episode was better than the first.

Entourage, while predictable, I still find entertaining. Ari Gold is one of the funniest characters on TV IMO

I am dying for the return of FOTC, can't wait.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

True Blood looks promising.

Entourage is, and always has been, fluff, but it's good fluff. I had been thinking about canceling HBO, but I'll hold off for now.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Is the "The First Taste" the first show in the series? (True Blood) I was getting into the series Big Love too, I wonder if it will be returning?

True Blood is getting interesting and most of the HBO shows need a few episodes to ramp up. But hey, I was one of the few fans who loved Carnivale and John from Cincinnati so what do I know?

<Editors note: Carnivale was, IMHO, the best TV series ever that ended up being cancelled.>

Entourage, IMHO, is the best comedy on television right now. Yeah, Jeremy Piven steals every scene he's in, but that's just fine with me. At this point, I love the idea that Vince is just now feeling the pressure of Hollywood and the fame that may have passed him by. Frankly, it's refreshing to see a guy whose held on to his principles for such a long time now be torn by them. IMHO, it's like the entire character group is finally maturing past what the last season or two has shown us and I'll be watching intently to see where they end up.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    True Blood is getting interesting and most of the HBO shows need a few episodes to ramp up. But hey, I was one of the few fans who loved Carnivale and John from Cincinnati so what do I know?

<Editors note: Carnivale was, IMHO, the best TV series ever that ended up being cancelled.>

Entourage, IMHO, is the best comedy on television right now. Yeah, Jeremy Piven steals every scene he's in, but that's just fine with me. At this point, I love the idea that Vince is just now feeling the pressure of Hollywood and the fame that may have passed him by. Frankly, it's refreshing to see a guy whose held on to his principles for such a long time now be torn by them. IMHO, it's like the entire character group is finally maturing past what the last season or two has shown us and I'll be watching intently to see where they end up.
    I was a big fan of John from Cincinnati. When they canceled it, I canceled HBO. At the time, the only other reason I ever watched HBO was for Entourage and FOTC and it just didn't seem worth it any more. Got tired of them canceling the shows I liked (and it should always be all about what I like ).
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I was a big fan of John from Cincinnati. When they canceled it, I canceled HBO.
    Wow... I finally met one.

I have yet to, but I finally have met a fan.

I myself bailed on it, no firm motivation in the script and a hero that looks like Morrissey hanging around a place that looks like the apartments down the street from my college house in Santa Cruz.

I had no choice.

HBO is doing a Band of Brothers version of the War in the Pacific this fall, that should be the feather in their cap for 2008

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

I myself bailed on it, no firm motivation in the script and a hero that looks like Morrissey hanging around a place that looks like the apartments down the street from my college house in Santa Cruz.

I had no choice.
    I know, I know, it was a mess. But it had just enough humor, weirdness and decent acting to keep me interested enough to want to know what was going to happen next. Sure beats watching Big Brother 14 or whatever.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

I had no choice.

HBO is doing a Band of Brothers version of the War in the Pacific this fall, that should be the feather in their cap for 2008
    So that's what that is, a Fighting Banana Slug?! I for some reason could never put my finger on just what your Avatar was.

I like hearing about the BoB version of anything, should be sweet if done the same way. When is that set to start WOY?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    So that's what that is, a Fighting Banana Slug?! I for some reason could never put my finger on just what your Avatar was.

I like hearing about the BoB version of anything, should be sweet if done the same way. When is that set to start WOY?
    Yep.. it's the mighty slug, enemy to the Redwoods.

Here's some info on The Pacific

http://www.pacificfans.com/

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I was a big fan of John from Cincinnati. When they canceled it, I canceled HBO.
    I just finished watching the series on DVD. I can't say that I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I appreciated that it was trying to do something different.

IMO, the show was too oblique to succeed. People seem to prefer overt explanations to symbolism, and JFC was laden (or maybe woy would say leaden ) with symbolism. I also think that people who dig symbolism the most would have been turned off by the rough language.

One advantage to watching on DVD that HBO viewers probably didn't have was a DVD extra that showed David Milch's explanation of John's monologue at the end of episode 6, as well as his commentary audio tracks on a couple of episodes. The explanation helped explain what the monologue was setting the table for, probably better than the ensuing episodes explained it. Although Milch stubbornly refused to address whether John was an extraterrestrial or a deity. Not surprisingly, he was also quite annoyed that the series was cancelled.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    word.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

If you think Entourage is a great comedy, you should really check out Californication on Showtime. Where Entourage lacks in character developement and overall plot, Californication not only shows both but with a great since of witty humor to it as well.

Senor Votto

Is True Blood any good? I don't think I would be able to get into it.

Turn Off Ads?