Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Magic & Bird HBO Special

Magic & Bird HBO Special

Anyone else watch? I thought it was fantastic. For some reason, I couldn't stand Larry Bird back when he was playing (of course, I was just a kid at the time), but I love listening to him now. He's so honest its refreshing. Listening to him talk about how much he hated seeing Magic succeed and how no one was happier then he was when Magic struggled was awesome. I'm a big fan of both guys now and this special was really enjoyable. Makes me long for the day when the NBA was actually fun to watch (from about the early 80s through late 90s).
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Magic & Bird HBO Special

I was a fan of the NBA during that same time, so I had to go check your age and of course we were born weeks apart. Makes sense.

I have not seen the special, didn't know it existed truth be told, but I intend to seek it out. The reasons you mention liking Bird are exactly the reasons I like him. There isn't enough of that kind of passion sometimes, even though that passion also shows a deep respect for the opponent.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

The Magic/Bird documentary and the Reggie Miller documentary were both fantastic. They reminded back when I used to be a big fan of the NBA and now I don't follow the NBA much at all.

Magic and Bird enhanced the NBA, but it was the ABA and Erving that pushed them out of the doldrums of delayed broadcasting the finals (which the did in that great Suns vs. Celtics series)

All dyslexics must untie!

I'm not getting HBO (anymore)

Does anyone know if this special can be streamed? (youtube, etc)
    Never overlook the obvious

Read the book "When the Game was Ours" by Jackie McMullen. Its is what this HBO special is based off and is an excellent read about both Magic and Larry.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I became a Larry Bird fan when he refused to renegotiate his contract when others were signing bigger contracts. He said he signed a contract and he intends to honor it. Try to find that integrity today.

Turn Off Ads?