Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buckeye Basketball

Re: Buckeye Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Any chance Ohio State gets a 2 seed? I've seen them at 3 usually lately in mock brackets, but they've finished so strong that I wonder.
    Really?? I think there a 2 at worst now. I also think it would be better for them to lose early in the Big 10 tourney, get some rest for the iron 5.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Any chance Ohio State gets a 2 seed? I've seen them at 3 usually lately in mock brackets, but they've finished so strong that I wonder.
    If that isn't a sign of how weak the NCAA is overall, I dont know what is. Evan Turner is frightening, but a team that plays 5-6 players a game should NEVER be a 2 seed. If North Carolina, Arizona, Indiana, UCLA, or UCONN were still alive, this would never happen.

I'm not saying that OSU isn't good, but this team is a 4 or 5 seed in a normal NCAA tourney.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    If that isn't a sign of how weak the NCAA is overall, I dont know what is. Evan Turner is frightening, but a team that plays 5-6 players a game should NEVER be a 2 seed. If North Carolina, Arizona, Indiana, UCLA, or UCONN were still alive, this would never happen.

I'm not saying that OSU isn't good, but this team is a 4 or 5 seed in a normal NCAA tourney.
    They lost half of those games without their best player. If Duke flames out in the ACC tourney and Ohio State wins the BTT they actually might be a 1 seed.
    And sorry I misread your quote. I thought you said a team that has lost 5-6 games not players. I really fail to see what the rotation has to do with anything.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Really?? I think there a 2 at worst now. I also think it would be better for them to lose early in the Big 10 tourney, get some rest for the iron 5.
    Yeah that could be, I've paid way less attention to college basketball this year than usual. It's a shame they couldn't beat Purdue the second time around, I think they'd at least be in the conversation for a 1 if that had happened.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Right now they are a 2 seed. I think if they win the Big Ten tourney, they have a real good shot at that 4th #1. If they lose the 1st game, they could slip to a 3, but even then I doubt they would drop down.
    because at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up--Marty B.

2013 record:
    GABP: 1-1 Wrigley: 2-0

Don't forget, the lady Buckeyes are number 10 in the nation and play in the Big 10 tournament tonight at 7:30pm. (Big Ten Network)

Go Men's and Women's teams.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

OSU Men's RPI is currently 31. Not sure that is a two seed.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

RPI is tainted for them though, because they lost some games while Turner was hurt that they presumably wouldn't have lost with him playing.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

RPI is tainted for them though, because they lost some games while Turner was hurt that they presumably wouldn't have lost with him playing.
    You're right, but they are still losses. You can't make excuses for injuries in any capacity (same goes for Purdue). Also, OSU's 79th ranked SOS plays into that more than their record.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    You're right, but they are still losses. You can't make excuses for injuries in any capacity (same goes for Purdue). Also, OSU's 79th ranked SOS plays into that more than their record.
    The committee will though. Remember Kenyon Martin? They take injury of marquee players into account. Purdue will not get the benefit of the doubt unless they win the BigTen tournament, because their missing player is gone for the rest of the season.

With the upsets from yesterday, and a good showing in the Big Ten tournament Ohio State might nudge their way up into a one seed.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

If I'm an Ohio State fan, I wouldn't be upset if the Buckeyes lost in the first or second round of the Big Ten tourney. Playing three physical games in three days followed by travel and two games in three days in the NCAA tournament doesn't seem to be advantageous to a team that plays six players. Or maybe those six players are in exceptional condition and I'm looking too much into their lack of depth...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

OSU vs. Meechigan tomorrow 9AM PST

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    If I'm an Ohio State fan, I wouldn't be upset if the Buckeyes lost in the first or second round of the Big Ten tourney. Playing three physical games in three days followed by travel and two games in three days in the NCAA tournament doesn't seem to be advantageous to a team that plays six players. Or maybe those six players are in exceptional condition and I'm looking too much into their lack of depth...
    Their lack of depth IS a concern, but you're also right in that those 4 (not Madsen/Lauderdale since they rotate) are in GREAT shape. They tend to actually play better toward the end of games.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Their lack of depth IS a concern, but you're also right in that those 4 (not Madsen/Lauderdale since they rotate) are in GREAT shape. They tend to actually play better toward the end of games.
    More depth would obviously be a good thing but it doesn't bother me that it is basically a 6 man rotation.

If Simmons and/or Hill had to play an extended about of time because of foul trouble I think we'd be fine.

OSUs real problem will be if they run across a team with two big men and they get into foul trouble. Madsen is a nice hussle player but not someone you want on the court for 20+ minutes and the bigs behind him are completely unknown.

There was an article a couple of years ago about bench depth in the NCAA tournament. IIRC it mentioned that it is somewhat over rated and mentioned the fact that the TV TO's in the tourney are longer than those in the regular season. It allows players to get more rest than during the season.

OSU's lack of depth can be a good thing because they won't have to give minutes to poor players. Its all about match ups, and if OSU gets a good draw, hopefully they can skate buy until the sweet 16. If they draw an up and down, pressing, up tempo team they may be in trouble in the 2nd game.

Turn Off Ads?