Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Saltalamacchia

Saltalamacchia

The Red Sox are "intrigued" by Rangers catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia (I believe they have been for some time). Jamey Newberg would like to see Clay Buchholz in a Rangers uniform, but admits the deal would have to be expanded.

www.mlbtraderumors.com
    www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/mlb?cnn=yes

I was pining for Salty two years ago when the Braves were shopping him, and I'd still like to see him here. Maybe if the Rangers really want Buchholz (but acknowledge that they'd have to give up more) they would settle for Bailey. Like Homer, Buchholz struggled in his first full professional season.

Bailey for Salty. I'd throw in a Juan Francisco or Brandon Waring on the side.

Your thoughts?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Saltalamacchia

I'd do Bailey and one of the Wily Mo Jrs for Salty in a heartbeat. I wouldn't have to think twice about it. I think Buchholz is probably the more attractive option for the Rangers, but I think that sort of an offer would put you at the table.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Before giving all that up for Saltalamacchia, I'd look a little closer at Ryan Hanigan. If you triple his statistics (providing he hits at his present rate), it's like Salty with a good batting average!

I've been impressed with Hanigan this year, as you can see.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

High five!

I thought Salty's rap was that he wasn't a good catcher and his bat wasn't good enough for first. Did I misremember?

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I thought Salty's rap was that he wasn't a good catcher and his bat wasn't good enough for first. Did I misremember?
    I believe you remembered your correctly. Unless both of us are misremembering.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'd do Bailey and one of the Wily Mo Jrs for Salty in a heartbeat. I wouldn't have to think twice about it. I think Buchholz is probably the more attractive option for the Rangers, but I think that sort of an offer would put you at the table.
    Care to elaborate on the entire list of the Wily Mo Jrs?

Plus, hopefully the Rangers might get excited about a home-state prospect coming home. The Rangers do have a history of liking arms from Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Salty can't catch.

I'd do Thompson, Valaika, Maloney, Wood and Francisco for Taylor Teagarden and Elvis Andrus though.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The Rangers are in desperate need of starting pitching. I don't know if Bailey is enough, however. His trade value is still pretty low. Their representatives would start with Volquez or Cueto, and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Salty can't catch.

I'd do Thompson, Valaika, Maloney, Wood and Francisco for Taylor Teagarden and Elvis Andrus though.
    I'd also rather have Teagarden or even Ramierez than Salty to split time with Hannigan next year. I may be in the minority, but I don't mind having a couple of young catchers splitting time. Play the hot hand more maybe, but keep both fresh since they probably aren't that used to the grind of a 162-gme season.

I'd have no problem with Hannigan/Teagarden splitting time in the 8-hole with Castillo maybe getting a start once in a while against a tough righty.

I'd rather try to hold on to Valaika and hopefully install him as my 2B by the all-star break next year.. I deal Phillips in the offseason instead.

If we can sign a decent FA starter (Lowe/Perez/Sheets) would the Rangers bite on Arroyo, Maloney, & Francisco for Teagarden, Andrus & Nelson Cruz (plus)? I'd then try to build a package around Phillps & Bailey for a strong RH bat.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 09-15-2008 at 09:51 PM.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The Rangers are in desperate need of starting pitching. I don't know if Bailey is enough, however. His trade value is still pretty low. Their representatives would start with Volquez or Cueto, and go from there.
    Volquez for Hamilton?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I don't think the Red Sox would offer Buchholz for Salty. However Teagarden is the one I'd want out of the 3 prospects the Rangers have. If not Teagarden then Ramirez is my next. Saltalamacchia with his arm troubles scares me as a catcher. Probably a 1st baseman from here on out.

FWIW, Nick Cafardo's the biggest tool in the Boston media. What he wrote might just as well be a memo from the Red Sox to Jason Varitek's agent.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

From a chat:

2:07: All the talk on Saltalamacchia is about the BoSox. Any chance the Reds go after him, and would Texan Homer Bailey get it done ?

2:08: Yes to both questions. The Red Sox-Salty thing has been around for months, but it's not too concrete. Salty is far from proven, just like Bailey. Could be a nice swap to fill needs. Unless the Reds prefer to try Hanigan first.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Turn Off Ads?