Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How About That Wind Storm?

How About That Wind Storm?

Here in central Ohia, that was some wind coming through on Sunday from the remnants of Ike! They had warnings out, and they said the winds (gale warnings) would top out at around 60 mph.

If those were 60 mph winds that came through here (and I doubt it), then I'd hate to see what hurricane force winds of 100+ mph were.

We lost power in this region around 2 PM Sunday - knocked the Bengal game on Dayton 7 right off the map (no great loss there). Thank God I have a whole house generator, because we were on it, while everyone else had zip, for about 6 hours.

Property damage?

Lost some sections of my vinyl siding, as well as some spouting, and numerous tree branches down. After walking around the neighborhood looking for the remnants, I have spent yesterday and today repairing it. Made a few trips to Lowes. One of the bigger branches came down over my shed and was draped over a power line, so I played it safe and called the utility company to come clear that one out.

My neighbors had sections of their roof (shingles) come off. And power has been on and off for the last day or so. Kids didn't have school till today. And at all the Honda plants only various shifts were working due to power.

Other then that - we're doing OK.

But it kinda puts things in a better perspective for me, because what we got was mild compared to what those folks down along the coast in Texas, Louisiana, and Florida got.

Wow!

But standing out on my front porch watching it was something else.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-16-2008 at 12:37 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How About That Wind Storm?

We're still without power in Spring Grove Village (formerly Winton Place), both at my house and at my office, although my landlord was going to bring in a generator for me at work. I'm at the Correyville libary now, checking email and grabbing a quick RZ fix. I think it's possibly we'll be out a bit. The wires outside my office are presently buried under a giant oak tree.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

We have power at my work (I work in Sharonville) but our power at home in Colerain was still out as of 8 AM this morning. I just got off the phone with my mom though and I think power is back on in our area. She got a call from one of the neighbors a little while ago saying she had her power now. That would be outstanding to have power again because playing cards by candlelight was getting a little old, LOL The wind was definitely something else (our fence needs a lot of repair and there are trees down all over my condo complex but there was no damage to the condo) and I really don't want to experience anything like that ever again. Wow, that was totally insane and we only got a small dose of a hurricane experience too!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I live in Logan Co. It sure seems, by watching the news in Dayton, that counties like Montgomery, Greene, and Clark, really got hit hard. Yesterday they were telling people to stay off the streets due to the crews cleaning up and trying to restore power.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I live in Logan Co. It sure seems, by watching the news in Dayton, that counties like Montgomery, Greene, and Clark, really got hit hard. Yesterday they were telling people to stay off the streets due to the crews cleaning up and trying to restore power.

You guys have electricity up there? Since when? Next thing you know you'll be getting indoor plumbing. :
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You guys have electricity up there? Since when? Next thing you know you'll be getting indoor plumbing. :
    Who needs indoor plumbing? Its' good to get outside and get your exercise.

I just found out my nephew who lives in Northern Kentucky,Florence, has been without power since Sunday. He doesn't know when he will get it back. He didn't have any damage from the storm but many around him did.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

We just got power back this AM after being without for about 40 hours.

I'd never seen wind like that before. I stood in my garage watching debris fly by and my trees bend over way more than I'd ever seen before. I thought it was a matter of time before they snapped. The winds cranked up around 1 pm and blew till about 6. Consistent winds around 40 mph and *big* gusts that I can believe being 75-80 mph.

More than once I said "I have never seen this before" (I seem to be saying that a lot lately). The weather guys are calling it a once in a lifetime thing. That would be fine with me.

The weirdest thing was that the wind was hot. It was partly sunny and about 90 degrees out and the wind was just blasting away. My trees now look all wilted and burnt. I've got the watering bags on them now.

My son was standing out in the driveway acting like his usual idiot self. I told him I didn't think it was safe to be out there and he just blew me off. A couple minutes later, a 75 mph gust propelled a cluster of leaves that whapped him in the side of the face and almost knocked him down. He came in the garage after that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I'm in Kettering and it's been 48 hours without power now. Not sure when we'll get it back.

Never been so glad to come into work.

I live in Clark County, and we were ravaged. My immediate neighborhood is very lucky, only lost power for an hour or so total. But nearly everyone around us has power lines destroyed, huge trees uprooted, and so on. Most of the area is without power. The pizza place I work at may be without power until Saturday or Sunday, and I live literally a minute or two from there. It's just a wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My son was standing out in the driveway acting like his usual idiot self. I told him I didn't think it was safe to be out there and he just blew me off. A couple minutes later, a 75 mph gust propelled a cluster of leaves that whapped him in the side of the face and almost knocked him down. He came in the garage after that.
    Our sons must be cut from the same cloth!

My 19 yr old - all 250 lbs of him (takes from his Mom's side ) - was standing out in the driveway in a test of will between his body and the wind gusts.

My 19 yr old - all 250 lbs of him (takes from his Mom's side ) - was standing out in the driveway in a test of will between his body and the wind gusts.
    When the wind picked up, we were just starting to march in a parade for my brother's judicial campaign, marching in Mt. Healthy. Immediately after we started, NCH's fire engine pulled out and took off on a run and by the end, one Mt. Healthy unit had pulled off too. My youngest brother and I were carrying a banner for Jerry's campaign and we were leaning into trying to move forward. While we were on Compton nearing the end (which they cancelled), a huge sycamore tree just blew right over in the cemetary. Whew!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Got it here in Louisville too of course, I'm back after being without power since 1PM Sunday.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Still without power up here in Springboro. I was in Columbus over the weekend visiting school and I decided to come home for the week before classes on Sunday. I left Columbus around 4 PM (right after the power went out there) and I drove down I-71 thru the worst of the wind. Semi's were all over the place and corn husks were flying around the highway from all the fields. I have a Hyudai Sonata so the wind really didn't affect me too bad, but it was an adventure with some of the other drivers out there.

My power at my parent's house was out around 2 pm'ish I believe and it has been out ever since. As I was leaving Columbus I talked to my parents who told me about the power being out so I tossed my battery powered, really bright camping latern...best decision I've made in a long while. This latern can light up an entire side of the house. In fact from the outside it looks like we have electricity. At least all of our water services and hot water still work but the no electricity thing is bad. The worst is half our neighborhood has power and our half doesn't.

The lucky thing for us is that my grandparents live about 10 minutes away in Miamisburg and they have had power the entire time. So basically from Monday morning on I have stayed at their house enjoying electricity.

The one life lesson I have learned from all of this is a new found respect for older folks. How the heck did people entertain themselves before electricity and all the fun electronics were around? I was dying without my Xbox 360, laptop, and music.

During the winds, a lot of our neighborhood was all outside walking from yard to yard as trees went down and damage occured. My parents said it was the most neighborhood gathering they have had in years.

A little chunk of our roof blew off (black material that protects the peaks and prevents water from leaking) during the storm and my dad caught it when it landed. He was worried about possible rain so he pulled out a big ladder right there and was starting to climb up (During the wind!) to replace it. I guess 6 neighbors came running over to stop him and tell him how stupid that would be.

And another funny story....my girlfriends mom loves storms and winds so she decided to go for a walk in her neighborhood during the winds. She lives in an older neighborhood with big trees and plenty of hazards, so this was not the brightest ideas. When she was out walking she got drilled by a wooden street sign that had blown away. It's only hilarious because she was not seriously injured, just a little sore. My girlfriend's grandma (her mom's mom) called to tell her about it and tell her what an idiot her mom was for going out in the wind.
    Last edited by Caseyfan21; 09-16-2008 at 10:33 PM.

Turn Off Ads?