20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Team Euro

13 65.00%
  • USA! USA! USA!

7 35.00%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: 2008 Ryder Cup

Re: 2008 Ryder Cup

I watched some of Sky Sports News for the Euro reaction. I couldn't believe the amount of whining from the EU fans/commentators about the US fans actions. Boo was over the top at times, but this was coming from a culture that tolerates the most violent, boorish and racist fan behavior on the planet at their soccer stadiums.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Heck, even Sergio said some of the younger players' enthusiasm was "over the top" a couple of times. Hey Sergio, how about your reaction to sinking the putt on #8 on Saturday? That wasn't over the top.

I've read some of the Euro media reaction and Faldo is getting lambasted. Geez, you'd think they thought it was an entitlement to win the Ryder Cup and that it was just a given that they should win every one. The arrogance is ridiculous.

I can see where they were coming from on the pumping up the crowd while the other team still had to play. But that one match in the afternoon on Friday that wound up being halved. Heck, after Saturday's match, evven Westwood said that Boo was much better and he had no problem at all with the how he handled himself.

The Euros sure are sore losers. Last time they lost all we heard about (and still hear about) is the reaction after Leonard's putt fell. You hear nothing about the great comeback or collapse of the Euros. Once Lenonard's putt went in it was virtually over so the reaction had nothing to do with nothing about the result, yet the legacy of that Ryder Cup has become the reaction, not the result thanks to Euro whining.

I agree, it's complete hypocrisy. The fans at Valhalla were loud, and that's it. The only person who has said they weren't well behaved was Westwood. Again, given how the Euro crowds are when the Ryder Cup is over there, I don't see how anyone could complain and keep a straight face.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes and excuse making to me.

Just watching their press conference last night, there was a certain level of smugness coming from the majority of them that was obvious. I thought they were at times disrespectful to the media's questions (yeah, we all know they ask stupid questions, but bite your tongue and answer respectfully). There were a couple of times when some of the players were goofing off and not listening to the questions being asked.

Westwood was by far the worst of the group. I though Sergio handled himself the best (during the press conference), even though he questioned some of the Americans as being a "little over the top at times." He just didn't come across with that smugness and condescending demeanor as most of the others.

MWM is right, a lot of hypocrisy.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Highlifeman, I think maybe you idealized the Euros a little too much. I thought a blowout might by the Euros was a distinct possibility, but I thought it was more because they always play so much better than the Americans in this event.

It wasn't my perception that the Euros played poorly. Actually, I thought they played very well, not too dissimilarly to how they've played the past two. The difference, in my eyes, was clearly the American play. the Euros still made putts and hit great shots. The difference is that the americans matched them this time and made more putts. McDowell, Poulter, and Kaarlson played about as brilliantly as any Euro has played in any Ryder Cup.

But the US team had several players play out of their minds. Boo Weekley gets a lot of attention because of his personality, but they guy was nails this week. The guy he played against shot 3 under on the front 9 and found himself 3 down as Weekley shot 6 under. Boo pretty much singel handedly beat Westwood and his partner yesterday afternoon.

Furyk played about as well as he's ever played. He was Mr. Automatic with his irons all 3 days and was sinking putts all over the place.

Justin Leonard was nasty with his putter on Saturday. It seems like he couldn't miss. He got beat by a superior opponent on Sunday, but he played ou of his mind on Friday and Saturday.

Hunter Mahan had a couple of missteps, but he played great almost the entire event.

Anthony Kim played poorly with Phil on the back nine Saturday morning, but was pretty phenomenal most of the competition.

Look at that approach shot Campbell hit to the par 5 on Friday.

Kenny Perry sunk putt after putt and hit many a great shot.

Steve Stricker made just a sick up and down on Saturday afternoon to get a critical half point.

So I couldn't disagree more with your assessment that the difference was the Euros not being the Euros. they're not invincible. With the exception of Sergio, the Euros were every bit as good as they've always been. I don't see which household names played poorly. Heck, even Westwood played well. He just ran into Boo who played out of his mind. So I think the best Euros showed up, except Sergio and Harrington (and Harrongton hasn't played well in the Ryder Cup in a while now, so I don't think that was much of a surprise). I believe this US Ryder Cup team would have won any of the previous 3 playing the way they played.

It was great play by the Americans, not poor play by the Euros.
    I think it was both.

The Americans played great. Absolutely outstanding golf, not only as individuals, but as a team (a concept that's escaped the Americans since 1999).

The Euros, conversely, played inconsistent. Some of the Euros played downright dreadful (I'm lookin' at you Harrington, Westwood, Casey Garcia and Jimenez!). I wasn't sure what to expect out of Soren Hansen, so him only earning 1/2 point in 3 matches raises eyebrows, but maybe that's to be expected based on his level of talent and lack of experience. The problem for the Euros was a lack of points from the horses. Casey, Garcia, Harrington, Jimenez, and Westwood combined for 4 points in 18 matches. Yikes.

So right there, 5 key Euros playing like crap, combined with Americans playing spectacular golf results in a US victory.

I don't want to take away from what the Americans did, by any means. Mickelson, Cink, Curtis, and Stricker all had flashes of great play, but on a whole these 4 did not play well. The other 8 guys, however, played lights out. I certainly underestimated Perry, Leonard, Weekley, Mahan, Holmes and Campbell. If anyone would have told me at the beginning of the week that Leonard, Weekley, Mahan and Holmes would combine for 11 points, I would have laughed in their face.

IMO, those 4 are the reason the Ryder Cup stays on this side of the pond, and rightly so. They played some of their best golf at the most opportune time(s), represented themselves and their country with pride.

All being said, kudos to the Americans. They showed that Tiger wasn't necessary to beat a heavily favored Euro team.

Great weekend for American golf. Let's hope the momentum carries to The Belfry in 2010!

From Ryder cup to Ryder cup, you will have players that play lights out and players who play "like crap." The "team" that plays the best will win, and the Americans certainly did that this time. Excuses won't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    From Ryder cup to Ryder cup, you will have players that play lights out and players who play "like crap." The "team" that plays the best will win, and the Americans certainly did that this time. Excuses won't cut it.
    It's refreshing to finally see the Americans play as a team.

They had some superb individual effort(s), which translated into a great team victory.

I don't think enough can be, or has been, said about the lineup Paul Azinger trotted out there for Sunday's singles. Kim set the tone, and IMO the Americans never looked back.

let azinger retain the captaincy. the dude knows what he is doing

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Young View Post
    let azinger retain the captaincy. the dude knows what he is doing
    I'd like to see Faldo and Azinger go at it again in 2010.

Faldo's catching heat in the non-US media, but it's not his fault Garcia, Westwood, Jimenez and Harrington forgot how to play golf this past weekend. IMO, Faldo's not getting enough credit for selecting Ian Poulter.

i don't see any way faldo survives the fallout of this loss, deserved or not

I really enjoyed this. I wish I was at the Pub with this guy seeing his meltdown as Europe was losing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/colum...t&lid=tab5pos2
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Young View Post
    i don't see any way faldo survives the fallout of this loss, deserved or not
    Faldo won't survive. They change captains every Ryder Cup.

I read an article somewhere today about how sad it will be for Faldo's legacy to be for this Ryder Cup given that he's the most accomplished Brit golfer in their history (unless you consider Harry Vardon). He was never really beloved there to begin with, and now it's going to be worse. I don't think he cares all that much as he's lived in Orlando for years anyway, as do a lot of the Euro golfers.

Turn Off Ads?