Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is September baseball the most apathetic month in sports?

Is September baseball the most apathetic month in sports?

Unless you're a fan of one of the playoff teams, man, is it just me or is September baseball the most apathetic month of baseball in sports? Can't say I've watched much of a Reds game lately with all the college football and stuff on. I watched the Reds beat the Cubs, and that was basically my year ender present.

Baseball in general, there might be some late season chases, but basically its locked up. Brewers collapsing, Mets collapsing and Phillies trying to take one of those spots and the other two jsut trying to hang on. White Sox and Twins in a chase, and Rays and BoSox playing for playoff position. The rest? It's just boring.

Despite being an irrelevent month for about 95% of the teams, who don't have a dog in the fight, or those like the Angels who have it all but locked up, it can be a really dangerous month. Teams are still running out young pitchers when they may as well be shut down (Lincecum for example .. also .. why is Cueto still going?)

I doubt baseball ever gets rid of the September doldrums. With so many games during the year, an entire month of the season is basically irrelevent for most teams. The seasons will never be cut down shorter due to tradition and money. And I doubt there will ever be an NFL like expansion to 6 teams to make the playoffs. It's too many teams to make the playoffs in most years, but sometimes it seems like 4 is too few in a lot of cases (is it fair one of the Mets/Phillies Brewers won't get in, and one of the ChiSox/Twins won't, but the Dodgers will get in with a 4 to 5 game worse record currently?)

With college basketball as my favorite sport, I think its the best timed sport going into a title. You have the early preseason invitational tournaments to kick things off, with a couple of big non conference rivalries among usually mostly cupcake games, but games you build a resume on. Then you kick into conference season and fight it out to build your case and stay off the bubble. Then goto the conference tourney where its do or die for some teams and other teams are trying to build their path to a high seed, going into March Madness.

Maybe its just being a Reds fan and being down for so long, but September is basically a month I completely forget about baseball until the playoffs start. Maybe through playing for draft picks in reverse order (the worst shouldn't auto get the #1 pick as incentive to just shut things down, make them play for it in September or something) or some incentive to just not shut everything down.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is September baseball the most apathetic month in sports?

Ah, I'm a fan. There are usually a few races that are worth following. Remember last year's Rockies? That was fantastic.

This year there are quite a few that look to be very close. As a lifelong Reds fan I've learned to adopt backups to root for in September and October, and the Mets have always been one of them. Being a recent NY transplant makes it easier to follow them too. Last year it was fun to see how far the Tribe could go.

And as a numbers geek it is always fun to watch stats pile up at year's end. Who will make a run an amazing year, who slumps down the stretch to fall back into a mediocre season, who breaks this record or that.

As a baseball fan you have to learn to appreciate watching the other teams win and also watch the young talent unfold on another losing Reds team.

It helps that the NFL bores me to tears and the Buckeyes are becoming easy to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Ah, I'm a fan. There are usually a few races that are worth following. Remember last year's Rockies? That was fantastic.

This year there are quite a few that look to be very close. As a lifelong Reds fan I've learned to adopt backups to root for in September and October, and the Mets have always been one of them. Being a recent NY transplant makes it easier to follow them too. Last year it was fun to see how far the Tribe could go.

And as a numbers geek it is always fun to watch stats pile up at year's end. Who will make a run an amazing year, who slumps down the stretch to fall back into a mediocre season, who breaks this record or that.

As a baseball fan you have to learn to appreciate watching the other teams win and also watch the young talent unfold on another losing Reds team.

It helps that the NFL bores me to tears and the Buckeyes are becoming easy to ignore.
    Looking at GABP, it looks like most don't tend to agree. They really should just give away tickets for the remaining games.

I have no interest in going down to GABP, but I am still following the boxscores pretty diligently for the Reds. I am curious about the young guys and how they are doing.

Lately, it's a shame the offense isn't putting up better numbers because the starters deserve more wins than they've been getting. It's a shame. But atleast they're winning.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I have no interest in going down to GABP, but I am still following the boxscores pretty diligently for the Reds. I am curious about the young guys and how they are doing.

Lately, it's a shame the offense isn't putting up better numbers because the starters deserve more wins than they've been getting. It's a shame. But atleast they're winning.
    I agree, Im more interested in watching younger guys playing hard and trying to win a roster spot then career pinch hitters, and aging vets (to some degree) play for the homerun while pretty much being oblivious to all the other aspects of baseball.

I'm enjoying this so much more than I enjoyed April, May, June, or July.

I still can't stand Corey Patterson ever seeing an at-bat. He sucks and has no future anywhere but in Dusty's mind.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I think this is a great time of the year to be a fan but I'm a baseball fan in general so I can always find someone random to root for in September. Right now my random team is the Rays because I think they're a great story of this season but my random team is never the same one every year. I actually have three main teams that I follow overall (the Reds being #1, the Orioles and Angels being the other two) and knowing that one of them, the Angels, are primed for a good run into the postseason makes me pretty excited about baseball right now. The Reds are also playing some really solid baseball lately and instead of cringing whenever a game is on TV, I find myself excited to see what happens with them. It seems like several teams who want to get to the postseason have to come through Cincy and seeing our guys winning those games and putting the other teams into a hole is quite a fun experience! It's nice to see others having the hard time and seeing our guys do well and win some hard fought games, ones that they were actually losing earlier this year. Yeah I know there's no pressure and that's probably making them play a little more loosely and who knows who will still be here next year, but daggone it, it's just fun to watch these guys battle in every game lately.

And for the record, I'm also a football fan but with the Bengals sucking and the Buckeyes coming off a big loss, I'm not following that sport all that strongly at the moment.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I agree with you Heather. I am a Rays fan and I hope the Reds can become the Rays of '09.
    Who's on first?

still without power at the house I will be down at GABP every night for half price tickets.. hoping they play until i get tired.. soo i can just go home and crash in the dark..

I still follow em,and get upset in a game when they play sloppy.The Reds are like a bad car wreck,you want to look away from it but you can't.

I actually sat and watched the game last night in it's entirety with total enjoyment. I know that nothing matters to us really, but isn't just enjoying the game enough?

I truly enjoyed watching the Reds come close to blowing it and then just hand it to the Cards. How many times do we watch the exact opposite? I hate the Cards, so it doesn't matter to me if we are 1 game out or 50, beating them by playing the game right is great. And I really loved the way Bako wiped the grin off Looper.

I think these games are real important to what will transpire next year. There are a lot of kids bustin' their tails to show they belong. Hell of a lot more fun than watching the futility of the first three months.

I loved Dunn and Griffey, but I think this is much more of a "team" without them, and they are playing much better baseball. Who would have thought in May that Arroyo might end up with more wins than Volquez or Harang? I really love the way he has developed into an all around baseball player. His hit started the whole rally that broke the Cards. I'd certainly rather have Bronson up there to hit than Bako.

So I guess I can't agree with the poster. If you treat it right, September can be fun for baseball.

btw.. speaking of dunn and griffey.. in left center there used to be a sign with themn both made into m&m's.. i know it is just and m&m banner now.. but what was it after griff got traded when dunn was still here anyone know?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Season is perfect length. I know what you mean, our team is always a ghost town this time of year, but it gives me something to do during the week until football is on on the weekends.

If we were actually ever good, september baseball would be liked
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    I actually sat and watched the game last night in it's entirety with total enjoyment. I know that nothing matters to us really, but isn't just enjoying the game enough?

I truly enjoyed watching the Reds come close to blowing it and then just hand it to the Cards. How many times do we watch the exact opposite? I hate the Cards, so it doesn't matter to me if we are 1 game out or 50, beating them by playing the game right is great. And I really loved the way Bako wiped the grin off Looper.

I think these games are real important to what will transpire next year. There are a lot of kids bustin' their tails to show they belong. Hell of a lot more fun than watching the futility of the first three months.

I loved Dunn and Griffey, but I think this is much more of a "team" without them, and they are playing much better baseball. Who would have thought in May that Arroyo might end up with more wins than Volquez or Harang? I really love the way he has developed into an all around baseball player. His hit started the whole rally that broke the Cards. I'd certainly rather have Bronson up there to hit than Bako.

So I guess I can't agree with the poster. If you treat it right, September can be fun for baseball.
    I'm still following them on my computer while I'm reading up on stuff.

I'm with you. I hate the Cards.
    Who's on first?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I agree with you Heather. I am a Rays fan and I hope the Reds can become the Rays of '09.
    once again, why not us. We have similar parts as the Rays. We can do this in 09 and thats the hope I'll carry with me as we enter 09
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?