Thread: Alonso playing in Hawaii

Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alonso playing in Hawaii

It was probably in his contract.

I figured they would send him over there. This is a very good move IMO. I read a rumor on Doug's website a couple weeks ago that in addition to Yonder Alonso, Todd Frazier, Philippe Valiquette, and Eric Eymann would also be going to Hawaii.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I figured they would send him over there. This is a very good move IMO. I read a rumor on Doug's website a couple weeks ago that in addition to Yonder Alonso, Todd Frazier, Philippe Valiquette, and Eric Eymann would also be going to Hawaii.
    Lets just say I got those names on good authority

just like Wieters did last year -- makes sense for a guy whose contract dictates he needs to move fast

Why Hawaii? Is it more advanced instruction than the AFL or something? I never could understand why some would go to the AFL, some to Hawaii and others to winter ball or both. Anyone have an idea of why an organization would choose one over the other for a specific player. I mean what determines where you go if anywhere?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Why Hawaii? Is it more advanced instruction than the AFL or something? I never could understand why some would go to the AFL, some to Hawaii and others to winter ball or both. Anyone have an idea of why an organization would choose one over the other for a specific player. I mean what determines where you go if anywhere?
    I could very well be wrong, but I'm not sure Alonso was eligible for Arizona's league. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I think you have to be on a AA or AAA roster to go to the AFL. The Hawaiian league is more for the lesser experienced, but often high ceiling, guys.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think you have to be on a AA or AAA roster to go to the AFL. The Hawaiian league is more for the lesser experienced, but often high ceiling, guys.
    That would explain Valaika last year. Ok thanks guys.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I like the other selections as well. After three lackluster years, Eymann had a breakout year at AA. At 25, next year at AAA would seem to determine whether he moves on to become a major league backup or AAAA player. The Reds have been very patient with Valiquette. IIRC, there was even a time that he left the team as a teenager to return home. I suspect this patience was rooted in a perceived high upside. He is still only 21 and he started to show consistency last year.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I could very well be wrong, but I'm not sure Alonso was eligible for Arizona's league. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.
    He could play, but the number of low level players are restricted, and they may want someone else there. Here are the rules:

Code:
    The eligibility rules to play in the AFL are simple.

The roster size is 30 players per team.

Each Major League organization is required to provide six players subject to
    the following requirements:

* All Triple-A and Double-A players are eligible, provided the players are
    on at least a Double-A level roster no later than Aug. 1.
        * One player below the Double-A level is allowed per Major League team.
        * One foreign player is allowed, as long as the player does not reside in a
    country that participates in winter ball, as part of the Caribbean Confederation
    or the Australian winter league.
        * No players with more than one year of credited Major League service as of
    August 31 are eligible, except a team may select one player picked in the most
    recently concluded Major League Rule 5 Draft.
        * To be eligible, players on Minor League disabled lists must be activated
    at least 45 days before the conclusion of their respective seasons.
    Looking at the Hawaiian Baseball website, they have no eligibility requirements listed other than players must be a member of an MLB, Japanese or Korean organization.
    Last edited by Danny Serafini; 09-18-2008 at 09:51 PM.

I think I've found another bucket list item..... spend a winter in Hawaii watching baseball.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Oops. Wrong thread
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

On the Reds radio broadcast it was just mentioned that Alonso may also play winter ball in the DR after he plays in Hawaii.

Todd Frazier to Hawaii has been confirmed by Baseball America:

Brackman was announced along with Reds shortstop Todd Frazier, the 34th overall selection in ‘07; and Athletics outfielder Corey Brown, the 59th selection in 2007.

Unfortunately for Brackman, an elbow injury suffered in May 2007 while he was at North Carolina State has prevented the 6-foot-10, 240-pound righthander from competing in the minors the past two summers.

Despite the injury occurring just ahead of the draft that season, the Yankees signed him to a major league contract worth $4.5 million on top of a $3.35 million bonus.

Brackman touched 99 mph in the Cape Cod League two years ago and in his junior season at NC State was consistently at 94 mph. He also has a spike curveball and showed a feel for a changeup.

Meanwhile, Frazier this season hit .291/.368/.485 with 19 home runs, 30 doubles and 74 RBIs combined at low Class A Dayton and high Class A Sarasota. The 22-year-old also struck out 112 times covering 478 at-bats and drew 56 walks.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1712

Turn Off Ads?