Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New AA and High A teams could be announced Thursday

New AA and High A teams could be announced Thursday

Today and yesterday were first 2 days teams could negotiate with new cities. Officially they can't be announced until tomorrow.

But AAA news is being leaked left and right. But nothing has been leaked for AA, where Reds will either be with Carolina, Huntsville, Jacksonville, Connecticut or back with Chattanooga if Lookouts owner doesn't find something better.

On the High A side, the key thing is whether Boston takes over in Salem, Va (they own the team). I think if Boston takes over in Salem, Reds will stay in Sarasota for 2 years.

But if Reds Sox decide they want to be in Sarasota, Reds are likely to end up in Salem.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: New AA and High A teams could be announced Thursday

Jax, I think I read one of your posts a while back which said that Sarasota has the worst attendance in the league. Would a move to Salem be a good thing for the Reds?

Thanks

Money-wise I don't think it makes a huge diference. Especially if Salem is owned by Sox and managed by Reds.

thorn

The flip side is if Sarasota has such bad attendance, why would the Red Sox want to go there? Is Salem worse or about the same?

Boston may want Sarasota because they are heavily in negotiation to replace the Reds for Spring Training, and their minor league operations would be headquartered in Sarasota. They would want the High A franchise there just like Reds did.

Minor league attendance is not a big factor.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Today and yesterday were first 2 days teams could negotiate with new cities. Officially they can't be announced until tomorrow.

But AAA news is being leaked left and right. But nothing has been leaked for AA, where Reds will either be with Carolina, Huntsville, Jacksonville, Connecticut or back with Chattanooga if Lookouts owner doesn't find something better.

On the High A side, the key thing is whether Boston takes over in Salem, Va (they own the team). I think if Boston takes over in Salem, Reds will stay in Sarasota for 2 years.

But if Reds Sox decide they want to be in Sarasota, Reds are likely to end up in Salem.
    Jax I'm assuming you have really played out all these scenarios in your head down to the fine print. So I ask you what's the best case scenario for the Reds organization? By that I mean what is the most ideally suited scenario for us and for what reasons, mainly the AA situation.

I think those of us who have sorta followed along with your and others updates can all just about assume what the worst case is.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Hey JaxRed - maybe a little 'leakage' of any team affiliation would be fun discussion.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Well, I assume that Jax is hooking up with Marlins (much to my chagrin) and that Chattanooga will hook up with someone else. That leaves Connecticut, Huntsville and Carolina.

Connecticut is probably going to move in a year (probably to Richmond). Huntsville is in middle of nowhere and has worst stadium in the league. So, best case scenario in my mind is Carolina Mudcats.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 09-17-2008 at 05:57 PM.

West Tennessee not in the running for the Reds?? I live an hour from the stadium and I thought I heard that was a possibility.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

West Tenn resigned with Mariners

Jacksonville (as rumored) just signed with Marlins, and Brewers (unexpectedly) just resigned with Huntsville, so Reds options are down to Carolina, Connecticut and Chattanooga (the three C's)

Really, I wonder if theres been any word on the Brewers reupping with Charleston (Low A). I thought theyd dump Huntsville first.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Charleston, WV signed with Pirates.

On the High A side of things, the Sarasota Reds options are down to:

Salem, Sarasota, Winston-Salem, San Jose, Lynchburg, Inland Empire, High Desert,

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Charleston, WV signed with Pirates.
    Crap . Oh well. I was holding out hope maybe the Rangers would swoop in and go bandit in the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Turn Off Ads?