Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New AA and High A teams could be announced Thursday

Re: New AA and High A teams could be announced Thursday

The only reason we think it's changing is because it said they would in the article
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Decision from Mudcats to come next week

"The Mudcats expect to announce a new affiliate next week, said Joe Kremer, the Mudcats general manager.

Kremer confirmed that the Mudcats had met with representatives from the San Francisco Giants on Wednesday and would meet later today with the Cincinnati Reds."
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    They can always change to Dodger-blue style uniforms but keep the hats (albeit they'll be blue instead of red). Since there was nothing in the article about changing the name from "Lookouts" I'm guessing that's what will happen.
    I'd be down with that. In fact, I'd probably buy a blue eyeballs cap.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    If they come to CT, I'll be able to see them, 20+ years after watching the Vermont Reds in the Eastern League (Sabo, Larkin, Jeff Montgomery, Treadway, etc....). Probably going to be a pretty talented squad, too. Bring 'em on!
    I haven't been down to Norwich since it was a Yankees affiliate. It would also be nice to see the Reds AA team on the road in Portsmouth, Portland or New Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS
    Maybe someone can explain this to me: but why isn't there so-called "promotions" in the minor leagues? Not a marketing promotion, but literally like a job promotion to a higher level.

It's obvious to me the Dayton Dragons SHOULD be the Reds new Double A affiliate, and let one of these other vagabond franchises be a single A teams. It makes more sense. Not that it makes a ton of difference, but I think Dayton should be rewarded with a new class of players and league for being so ridiculously successful. They have the park to do it, and this is from Wikipedia:

"The Dragons average 8,375 fans per game, or 116% of capacity. The Dragons have been the top Class A team in attendance every year of their existence, and have set and re-broken the record for Class A attendance three times.[2] On April 17, 2007, the Dragons enjoyed their 500th consecutive sellout, believed to be the longest current streak in professional sports"

I don't get it. Maybe its not a big deal to them, but I think it would be a good reward for being such a successful franchise. They get to see a little bit bigger prospects in double A hang around than Triple A.
    Excellent point.

While the Southern League might be a bit of geographical stretch (and that means travel costs), it would make a lot of sense for the Reds to have their two strongest affiliates at the highest rungs of the minors and it would be great for Dayton to showcase a better caliber of player.

Yet the final destination for Dayton my be High A. There's a serious question about whether the Florida State and California leagues should even exist (particularly the FSL). Attendance is low, the parks are in disrepair. Independent teams in the Frontier, Atlantic and Can-Am leagues outdraw them by significant amounts. It wouldn't surprise me to see one or both of those circuits die off.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Seems like the Reds are the last choice of just about everyone.
    It is coming across that way.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Decision from Mudcats to come next week

"The Mudcats expect to announce a new affiliate next week, said Joe Kremer, the Mudcats general manager.

Kremer confirmed that the Mudcats had met with representatives from the San Francisco Giants on Wednesday and would meet later today with the Cincinnati Reds."
    San Francisco has been a notoriously bad major league parent in the Eastern League. They've been the Old Maid card in that circuit. If I were Carolina, I'd pick the Reds, who've at least shown some stability and commitment during their extended stay in Chattanooga.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Reds notebook
    Reds on the lookout for new Double-A team

By John Fay jfay@enquirer.com September 19, 2008

The Reds and the Chattanooga Lookouts have ended their association after 21 years.

"We've been talking since the winter meetings," said Reds director of player development Terry Reynolds. "We couldn't get it done. We shook hands and smiled and parted ways."

The Southern League Lookouts announced a two-year agreement with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The move leaves the Reds in search of a Double-A affiliate.

There are openings in the Southern League (Carolina) and the Eastern League (Norwich, Conn.). The Reds are talking to both.

Will it be one of the two?

"It's got to be," Reynolds said.

The Carolina Mudcats play in Zebulon, N.C., outside Raleigh. The Florida Marlins currently have an affiliate there. The Marlins are moving their Double-A club to Jacksonville.

The Connecticut Defenders played in Norwich. The Defenders currently are affiliated with the San Francisco Giants.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...809190429/1071
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Salem just signed with Boston, so the possibility of a Sarasota/Salem swap is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Reds notebook
    Reds on the lookout for new Double-A team

By John Fay jfay@enquirer.com September 19, 2008

The Reds and the Chattanooga Lookouts have ended their association after 21 years.

"We've been talking since the winter meetings," said Reds director of player development Terry Reynolds. "We couldn't get it done. We shook hands and smiled and parted ways."

The Southern League Lookouts announced a two-year agreement with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The move leaves the Reds in search of a Double-A affiliate.

There are openings in the Southern League (Carolina) and the Eastern League (Norwich, Conn.). The Reds are talking to both.

Will it be one of the two?

"It's got to be," Reynolds said.

The Carolina Mudcats play in Zebulon, N.C., outside Raleigh. The Florida Marlins currently have an affiliate there. The Marlins are moving their Double-A club to Jacksonville.

The Connecticut Defenders played in Norwich. The Defenders currently are affiliated with the San Francisco Giants.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...809190429/1071
    I read a little about both teams, Connecticut sounds like the stronger franchise of the two, although the Marlins routinely called guys straight out of Double A. I'm guessing thats going to continue, as their Triple A team is insanely in NEW MEXICO. There's a lame duck Triple A team if I ever heard one.

As for Dayton, I don't know much about the Double A league they would be in, but I guess the travel costs would be a bit higher being in a "southern" league, so I don't know how that compared with the league they're in now currently. Still, it would be nice to make that jump. The question is though, its like fitting a peice of the puzzle, I don't think one of those double A teams would like to be dropped to single A. It would be great for player movement and scouting though too, so you could factor that in. Louisville and Dayton are both extremely strong, probably the strongest in their respective classes in support, and having them AA and AAA right near Cincy would be great to have right around in the geographical area.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    Maybe someone can explain this to me: but why isn't there so-called "promotions" in the minor leagues? Not a marketing promotion, but literally like a job promotion to a higher level.

It's obvious to me the Dayton Dragons SHOULD be the Reds new Double A affiliate, and let one of these other vagabond franchises be a single A teams. It makes more sense.
    Well, you have to ask: Makes more sense to who? Not the existing Double-A leagues. Dayton's fan support is great, but if I understand the minor-league structure correctly, there's no revenue sharing of any kind. Having Dayton in the Southern League or Eastern League doesn't put an extra dime in anyone's pocket, but it takes quite a few out, what with increased travel costs and time. Geography is a huge factor in leagues where travel is done by bus and not airplane.

Now, M2's post might be right on the money with respect to the FSL. Most FSL franchises are woeful and the league probably wouldn't exist anymore if not for the convenience of matching teams with spring-training facilities, as the Reds have recently. Furthermore, the "high A" and "low A" split is a custom that evolved over time. I doubt there's anything stopping MLB from saying "you know what? Why don't we, in (some future year that gives time for teams to line up affiliations), make the Midwest League High-A and drop the FSL to Low-A?"
    Not all who wander are lost

There's some talk about big changes coming to the minors in next couple years. So you could see radical restructuring of leagues..... but you won't see the "promotion/demotion" thing. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Well, you have to ask: Makes more sense to who? Not the existing Double-A leagues. Dayton's fan support is great, but if I understand the minor-league structure correctly, there's no revenue sharing of any kind. Having Dayton in the Southern League or Eastern League doesn't put an extra dime in anyone's pocket, but it takes quite a few out, what with increased travel costs and time. Geography is a huge factor in leagues where travel is done by bus and not airplane.

Now, M2's post might be right on the money with respect to the FSL. Most FSL franchises are woeful and the league probably wouldn't exist anymore if not for the convenience of matching teams with spring-training facilities, as the Reds have recently. Furthermore, the "high A" and "low A" split is a custom that evolved over time. I doubt there's anything stopping MLB from saying "you know what? Why don't we, in (some future year that gives time for teams to line up affiliations), make the Midwest League High-A and drop the FSL to Low-A?"

I guess it doesn't matter much, its all about money, and there's no benefit from a money level to being in single A or triple A. Technically, the Reds could treat Dayton as their Double A team, like the Florida Marlins basically do with their double A vs. single A team. Of course, competition may be a bit weaker, but really, when you think about it - there's no reason why a major league team couldn't put their best prospects in single A and call them up directly from there, besides the obvious jump in competition on each level.

It would be nice to have some geographical connection though, so many organizations have completely off the wall connections to areas. San Francisco Giants affiliate in CONNECTICUT? That's just ... odd.

I can attest to the fact that when we were the short lived affiliate for the Brewers here in between St Louis and Cincinnati, hardly a single fan in this city gave a craput the Milwaukee Brewers. It was a HORRIBLE match for here. Hopefully either Connecticut or Carolina will be a good match for the organization and they'll be supported.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I thought the Defenders were the AA team of the Indians?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    I guess it doesn't matter much, its all about money, and there's no benefit from a money level to being in single A or triple A. Technically, the Reds could treat Dayton as their Double A team, like the Florida Marlins basically do with their double A vs. single A team. Of course, competition may be a bit weaker, but really, when you think about it - there's no reason why a major league team couldn't put their best prospects in single A and call them up directly from there, besides the obvious jump in competition on each level.
    They could, but it would be absurd from a player development standpoint. The whole point of having levels is so the prospects can play against "just right" competition. There's no purpose to having players who should be in Low-A being body-slammed by the Southern League, while AA-level players who should be in finishing school for the majors are destroying inferior opposition and learning little from it.

It would be nice to have some geographical connection though, so many organizations have completely off the wall connections to areas. San Francisco Giants affiliate in CONNECTICUT? That's just ... odd.
    It's not ideal but sometimes there's no choice. None of the Double-A leagues are west of Texas, so all the West Coast teams are going to have bad geographical matches there. And sometimes the logical matches just don't happen since both parties have a say in the matter.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I thought the Defenders were the AA team of the Indians?
    Akron Aeros

The Reds have a respectable following in NC, dating back to before the Braves developed into a "Team". If memory serves me, I believe they even had radio affiliates in NC at one time. Every year at Spring Training games I have run into Reds fans from there. This March, I sat with a guy and his 5 year old daughter all decked out in Reds gear in Ft. Myers at a Bosox/Reds game. She was so cute I think she kept us Reds fans from being jostled out of the Park. NC sounds like a good fit.

Smart money would be on the Reds to Carolina. There is about a 70% shot that is where they will end up.

Turn Off Ads?