Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New AA and High A teams could be announced Thursday

OOOOH YEEEAHHHH!! CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Re: New AA and High A teams could be announced Thursday

Being a Reds fan about a half hour from Winston-Salem, I'd love to see them come back into the Carolina League.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Some thoughts: Do the Giants have commitment issues? They still are unsigned at AA, High A and and Short Season levels.

The Sarasota Reds are an odd bird: The Reds own the franchise but haven't renewed. Half the sites show them as leaving and half as staying. I just wonder if there is anything to fact that Winston-Salem hasn't resigned?

If Reds got Carolina, would they be interested in making a play for Winston-Salem as their High A team?
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

I am a Reds fan in Wilmington, NC. I hope The Reds do get the Carolina Mudcats. That would only be about a hour or so away from me.

A few comments on some of the posts. First, the Reds own the Sarasota franchise at the moment. Their agreement with that franchise extends automatically, as long as the Reds own the franchise. With spring training moving to Arizona in 2010, it is highly unlikely that the Reds would want to continue to own and operate that franchise. It is not a money maker and they would have no real reason to be in Sarasota, not to mention the fact that there would likely be some bad blood between the Reds and the city, which would make things more difficult in terms of stadium upkeep, security, etc. If the Red Sox move their spring training home to Sarasota, the Red Sox would likely be looking to sell their Salem franchise in the Carolina League. It is possible that some sort of swap could take place, although the value of the Salem franchise would be much higher than the Sarasota franchise (millions higher). This could happen at any time. Even after the October deadline passes, MLB could still approve an affiliation switch under circumstances like this if the Reds and Red Sox desired.

As far as the Dayton classification change, the thing to understand is that the owners of the Dragons, Mandalay, purchased a Midwest League franchise when they moved the Dragons to Dayton from Rockford, Illinois. Mandalay owns a Midwest League franchise. To upgrade the Dragons to a higher level, Double-A for example, Mandalay would have to purchase an existing Eastern League or Southern League franchise (costs usually run in the $10 million range) and move that franchise to Dayton. They would still own the Midwest League franchise, so they would need to find another Midwest League city (with a suitable stadium) to relocate the Dayton franchise to. They would also have to most likely pay some kind of territorial fee to the Midwest League for taking the Dayton territory from the league. They would need to pay a relocation fee to the Midwest League for moving the Dayton franchise to wherever it went, and they would need to pay another relocation fee to the Double-A league that they are joining for moving one of their franchises to Dayton. Relocation fees are usually about a million per move. Not sure what the territorial fee would be. Lastly, they would need to get approval from the Reds to move their Double-A affiliate into Dayton, which would probably be the least problematic of any of these things. You are looking at a cost of probably $13 million total. Question is, would you see enough of an increase in attendance in Dayton to justify spending that kind of money? Not sure how. They are selling out every game as it is. The one wildcard to this discussion is that Mandalay already owns an Eastern League franchise that could be moved to Dayton (Erie). In my opinion, the biggest holdup here would be finding a new Midwest League city with a ballpark in a market where Mandalay thought they could attract fans in high numbers.

It was announced that New Orleans will be the Florida AAA club. I thought that was interesting. Wonder who the Mets end up with?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    It was announced that New Orleans will be the Florida AAA club. I thought that was interesting. Wonder who the Mets end up with?
    Oh, I forgot Buffalo's available.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Mets signed before Florida did.

Redsof72, I did not know it was possible to swap after the agreement in High A. That throws a new wrinkle in things. I assumed Reds would have to officially annouce an extension since Boston had to with Salem. On the other hand, Boston wasn't with them.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

In some situations, exceptions have been made and a swap has been permitted after the deadline or after one year of a two year agreement. If the Red Sox worked out a spring training deal with the city of Sarasota in, say, December, I would expect that MLB would allow the Red Sox to move their high-A club there and allow the Reds to go into Salem if the Reds wanted to do that. There would have to be some negotiations because, again, those high-A clubs are actually owned by their parent clubs and they could not do a clear swap because the Salem team is profitable (I assume) and the Sarasota team operates at a loss. The value of the Salem franchise would far exceed the value of the Sarasota franchise.

I remember a few years back, the Peoria Chiefs announced a new PDC in October and several months later, before the start of the season, they announced a swap with another Midwest League team (I think it was Battle Creek if my memory is correct) to bring a different affiliate to Peoria.

The long rumored Yankees/Trenton extension apparently has occurred with press conference scheduled for tomorrow. C'mon Carolina.... make it happen.

Crosley Field Fan

For what it's worth...I emailed the sports reporter for the News Observer to see if he had any insight as to whether the Reds or Giants would be the parent club for the Mudcats. Here is what he had to say...

---------------------------------------------

There are rumors on the Internet about who is favored, but none cite
    any sources. I just talked to the general manager and he said he
    expected to make a decision soon, maybe this week. He has given me no
    indication that there is a front runner. Sorry I can't offer any
    speculation.

Javier Serna
    ------------------------------------------

That's funny. I emailed him also and got same basic response..... Is waiting for the Press Release "journalism"? C'mon buddy, you never saw All The President's Men"? Get some sources......

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Is waiting for the Press Release "journalism"?
    These days? Unfortunately, yes.

Side thought on minor league level jumping: the current system is built to protect the status quo, almost every system is. Yet comes a time every now and then when people decide they don't like the status quo. The attendance in the FSL, Cali and Carolina leagues is weak, particularly the FSL. The MWL, Sally and New York-Penn leagues are thriving. At some point, the affiliates with higher attendance are going to get itchy and demand the system get an overall. It won't be one team asking, it will be blocks of teams and entire leagues.
    Last edited by M2; 09-24-2008 at 07:55 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

From Baseball America -

In other news, Double-A Carolina will announce its affiliation with either the Reds or Giants at a press conference tomorrow.

hopefully these guys are protecting the launch codes as well.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    That's funny. I emailed him also and got same basic response..... Is waiting for the Press Release "journalism"? C'mon buddy, you never saw All The President's Men"? Get some sources......
    I'll take this over unfounded speculation passed off as journalism any day. Sometimes you just can't get the info.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?