Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you pay for C.C. Sabathia?

What would you pay for C.C. Sabathia?

If Bob tells you to "go for it" and go get C.C. Sabathia? 6 years for $120 mil? Just throwing a number out there....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What would you pay for C.C. Sabathia?

6 years $120 could be an albatross of a contract for a big guy with poor conditioning. Still, CC is one of the only players I'd consider giving that much. He proved his value with the Brew Crew over the past few months.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    If Bob tells you to "go for it" and go get C.C. Sabathia? 6 years for $120 mil? Just throwing a number out there....
    It probably wouldn't get him. Somebody else will pay that and all things equal, the Reds probably lose.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Bob is going to need to tell me a lot more than "go for it" if he wants to me both be in the game for CC and keep the franchise healthy.

There is no generic "worth it" here -- it depends on what your revenues are and what your risk tolerance is. If Bob demands we sign him, the answer is the highest offer plus whatever else it takes to sign him. If Bob demands we simply make him priority #1, I offer him 6 & 100 and then walk away when a half dozen teams give him more money.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

We're not in the market for Sabathia. My guess is he'll end up a Yankee. We need to target hitters anyway.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I would pay him a lot of money, but not for as long as he wants a contract for.

$0

CC is really out of shape. Giving him a LTC is foolish.

Compare:
    CC - 6 years $120M+
    Lowe - 3 years $45M

CC right now is a better pitcher than Lowe but the risks of giving him a long term fat deal are too high. Better to give a guy like Lowe a medium term not so fat deal.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Rick Reuschel was out of shape too and he did pretty good. David Wells was out of shape and he pitched pretty well late in his career with back injuries to boot.

CC is worth all of a 6 year 120 Million contract. Bob doesn't have that kind of loot to throw around but CC will look good in pinstripes at 7 years 150 million.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Rick Reuschel was out of shape too and he did pretty good. David Wells was out of shape and he pitched pretty well late in his career with back injuries to boot.

CC is worth all of a 6 year 120 Million contract. Bob doesn't have that kind of loot to throw around but CC will look good in pinstripes at 7 years 150 million.
    I believe CC when he says he wants to stay in the NL and would prefer the west coast. I'm probably being naive, but I don't think he ends up a Yankee. My money is on the Dodgers, with them keeping Manny and paying somebody a nice chunk of change to take Andruw Jones.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 09-28-2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: East != West
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Phillies or Mets?

Me personally...25 million for 1 year. And I tell him I'll renew it each year for the same amount adjusted for MLB inflation if he pitches as well as he did in 08.

He'd never go for that I know...but if the Reds payroll is along the lines of past years...you can't place a 120 million dollar bet on his arm. I'm sorry but if I'm Walt, I pass.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

No way. His results have been amazing this year, but I wouldn't give any pitcher on the planet that kind of deal.

Whoever gives Sabathia more than 3 years (and I agree - somebody will give him double that) will reap what the Mets and Yankees are reaping with Pedro and Giambi respectively. A good year or two and then an ugly back end. Many long term deals for stars look good when you make them. Few work out.
    Stick to your guns.

He's better than Zito, and look at the contract he got...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    He's better than Zito, and look at the contract he got...
    Ironically, Zito is why Sabathia won't get as much as Zito got.

Sabathia is the best lefty in the game. Zito had a scarlett A (albatross) on his forehead entering free agency that ANYONE should've been able to recognize.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?