Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Financial Planner Advice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Financial Planner Advice

Not sure who to ask about this, so I figured that someone here might be able to help. I have some money that I plan to invest, and I will be adding to that account significantly over the next few years. My brother does some financial planning and sells some investments, working mainly off of commission. We have a good relationship and I would like to give him my business. My question is, would it create an akward situation having a family member handle your money? Would I be better off going through someone else and not letting him know? I guess I ask this because I'm a little concerned about the small chance that any tension could arise out of having family members involved with eachother's finances. Like I said we have a good relationship and I don't foresee any problems, I just kind of wondered if anyone else has encountered similar situations.

I edited to add this point...the investments I will be putting the money in will be liquid and very secure, so I'm not at all worried about tensions from him making bad investment decisions and losing a portion of my money. I will be putting the money in very low-risk investments as I will need this money about 4 years from now. I guess this leaves me with the only potential tension or akwardness coming from him knowing my financial position, and maybe even jealousy, which I don't foresee. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Redlegs23; 09-17-2008 at 02:45 PM.

Turn Off Ads?