Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Ichiro

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Ichiro

    Anyone interested in the 35 year old Ichiro as our LFer? He could probably be had in a trade with Seattle. Is on the verge of hitting 200 hits for the 8th consecutive time. Stole 42 bases this year while being caught only 4 times. In a bad Seattle season, he still batted .310 with an OBP of .360.

    On the decline? Hardly. He hit only .303 in 2005 with an OBP of .350, and stole 33 bases that year while being caught 8 times. Batted .312 in 2003 with similar stats. Has never played less than 157 games in a season. Is a gold glove caliber fielder.

    I know age is concern, but I don't think so with this guy. I also think he'd bring a work ethic good for our young guys.

    With guys like Votto and Bruce coming behind him, I think he'd be a nice table setter.

    Besides, we have a nice trade history with Seattle.

    Lineup:

    LF Ichiro
    CF Dickerson
    2B Phillips
    1B Votto
    3B Encarnacion
    RF Bruce
    C Hanigan
    SS Gonzalez/Keppinger

    The top 3 guys wreak havoc on the basepaths. Wouldn't surprise me to see Jocketty do something like this. Dickerson has yet to make an error in 227 innings/35 games. Ichiro is a gold glove caliber outfielder. Bruce should improve. Phillips is gold glove caliber at 2B. Gonzalez is solid at SS if he returns healthy. Votto is improving but a liability at times. EE is a liability but only 24 years old. Votto, EE, Bruce, Phillips, and Dickerson all have 20-30 HR capability. Ichiro has 40 stolen base capability. Phillips has 20-30 SB potential. So does Dickerson.

    Pitching, speed, and defense. Wouldn't surprise me at all.
    Last edited by ChatterRed; 09-18-2008 at 12:36 AM. Reason: added more content about lineup
    Who's on first?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    5,951

    Re: Ichiro

    The best table setter since Rose....seriously. He just hit his 261 hit today....that's incredible.

    However he's a favorite in Seattle, selling a ton of jersey's.
    They would want the "moon" for him.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: Ichiro

    Yeah, I looked it up. He's making $17 million this year. Reds won't go for that.

    Next.
    Who's on first?

  5. #4
    .377 in 1905 CySeymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Carmel, IN
    Posts
    2,209

    Re: Ichiro

    Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Yeah, I looked it up. He's making $17 million this year. Reds won't go for that.

    Next.
    I think that says it all, and really, I can't blame them. But if you do get him, you can't waste his arm in LF. Bruce would have to move over to left.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    619

    Re: Ichiro

    Hells yeah. He could end up getting 2000 hits in 9 seasons. Incredible player all around.

    Ichiro rf
    Dickerson cf
    Philips 2nd
    Bruce lf
    Votto 1st
    Encarnacion 3rd
    Hanigan C
    Gonzalez ss

    Bench: Kepp, Castillo, Hairston, Valentin, Hopper

    Sign CC and our rotation is set

    CC
    Volquez
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto

    Bullpen: Cordero, Burton, Massett, Bray, Affeltd, Roenicke, Weathers

    Would the 30 million saved on Griffey and Dunn get us CC and Ichiro? Probably not, but damn close. I would love that team.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    15

    Re: Ichiro

    If we got ichiro for 18 mil i would take him in a heartbeat for 3 years..

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    190

    Re: Ichiro

    Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    The best table setter since Rose....seriously.
    Um, no and no. Rickey Henderson, hands down.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    855

    Re: Ichiro

    Wrong side of 35 for me to take a chance on with that much money. Now if I was a fan of NY, I would definatley be advocating getting him.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: Ichiro

    Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    Hells yeah. He could end up getting 2000 hits in 9 seasons. Incredible player all around.

    Ichiro rf
    Dickerson cf
    Philips 2nd
    Bruce lf
    Votto 1st
    Encarnacion 3rd
    Hanigan C
    Gonzalez ss

    Bench: Kepp, Castillo, Hairston, Valentin, Hopper

    Sign CC and our rotation is set

    CC
    Volquez
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Cueto

    Bullpen: Cordero, Burton, Massett, Bray, Affeltd, Roenicke, Weathers

    Would the 30 million saved on Griffey and Dunn get us CC and Ichiro? Probably not, but damn close. I would love that team.

    I have to admit. I do agree that if the Reds continued to perform like they have in finishing this season, and they added Ichiro and Sabathia........I think this team would definitely make the playoffs next year and GABP would probably average close to 30,000 per game. If Harang returned to his ace form, then factor in Sabathia being an ace, then Volquez and Cueto's continued improvement with Arroyo's.......they'd have one of the best staff's in mlb.

    Would ownership even consider this? I doubt it. But the payroll flexibility makes it fun to think about.
    Who's on first?

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    190

    Re: Ichiro

    Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I have to admit. I do agree that if the Reds continued to perform like they have in finishing this season, and they added Ichiro and Sabathia........I think this team would definitely make the playoffs next year and GABP would probably average close to 30,000 per game. If Harang returned to his ace form, then factor in Sabathia being an ace, then Volquez and Cueto's continued improvement with Arroyo's.......they'd have one of the best staff's in mlb.

    Would ownership even consider this? I doubt it. But the payroll flexibility makes it fun to think about.
    Why stop there? Mike Schmidt and Willie Mays are available . . .

  12. #11
    Next Year redsbuckeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Loveland
    Posts
    436

    Re: Ichiro

    I feel I should point out it's not really 30 million saved. Griffey and Dunn would have potentially made a combined 30 million but their payroll isn't necessarily a planned item for next year. For all we know it was management's intentention to ditch the payroll and not fill it in anyway.

    It's not like the Reds have a salary floor in place (beyond 25 major league minimums), they can spend as little as they want to.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25