Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Weathers and Affeldt considered "type B" free agent relievers according to Elias

Weathers and Affeldt considered "type B" free agent relievers according to Elias

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/0...ranking-2.html

I'd still like to sign both if we could.

Burton, Bray, Affeldt, Weathers, and Cordero is the anchor of our bullpen. Throw in Mike Lincoln, too.

According to the 2009 free agent list,(http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/1...lb-free-a.html) Weathers and Affeldt are the Reds only free agent relievers. Why not sign those two guys? Lincoln is apparently under contract or does not have enough service time. Neither do Bray or Burton. Sign Weathers and Affeldt and have some continuity in the bullpen.

Do the Reds sign a 5th starter? Or do they just go with Micah Owings or Ramon Ramirez? Not many good free agent pitchers available. Might as well write off Glavine, Maddux, and a few other veterans, such as Pettite, who you know will just re-sign with their current teams. Those guys are old enough that they want to stay close to home to be with their families or end their careers with certain teams. It's not about money with them anymore.

Of the available free agent pitchers, I'd say AJ Burnett, Ryan Dempster (probably re-sign with Cubs), Jon Garland (Angels - and his numbers are just so-so), Randy Johnson (will probably re-sign with Arizona), Kyle Lohse (3.80 e.r.a. - interesting), Braden Looper (4.06 e.r.a. with Cards), Derek Lowe, Oliver Perez (29 years old, 4.09 e.r.a. with Mets, 10-7), Odalis Perez (32, 7-10 with the Nationals, 4.26 e.r.a.), Sabathia (will be courted by teams with more money than Reds), Sheets (same as Sabathia), Smoltz (lifetime Brave), Wakefield (lifetime Red Sox).

Most of those guys will re-sign with their current teams. I'd say Burnett, Garland, Lohse, Looper, Lowe, Oliver Perez, Odalis Perez are the most likely candidates for the Reds if they want to sign a 5th starter. Oddly enough, Lohse has one of the better current e.r.a.'s of any of that final list of 7. Maybe he would come cheaper this year?

One other interesting name on the market who had season ending back surgery is Rafael Furcal. I know the Reds aren't going to eat Gonzalez $4 million they owe him for next year and if there's anyway he can play, they will play him. But if THEY WERE WILLING TO EAT IT, I'd be interested in Furcal, IF HE RETURNS TO HEALTH. He is only 31 years old. Career .287 batting average, .352 OBP, averaged 31 stolen bases per season before this season, and was mostly injury-free and played 150+ games nearly every year up until this one. Might be a good insurance policy to have. Would also be an option at third, if healthy. Sure, you'd lose EE's power. Not sure about Furcal's defense. Story on Furcal's injury/health: http://www.dailynews.com/ci_10442829?source=rss

Another idea would be to trade with Baltimore for Brian Roberts (30 years old until October) for second base, and move Phillips to SS. Roberts has a career OBP of .355 and has averaged 34 stolen bases the past 6 years. A career .284 hitter who hit .297 so far this year. He has nearly an 80% stolen base success rate. More speed on the basepaths. Only committed 6 errors so far this season.
    Last edited by ChatterRed; 09-18-2008 at 01:33 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Weathers and Affeldt considered "type B" free agent relievers according to Elias

As GM I would try to sign both Affeldt and Weathers. Even in the youth movement (Affeldt qualifies) both have a place. Stormy has been with the Reds for 4 years and each year his ERA has been in the 3.50 neighborhood. Affeldt has been steady this year. I think both add stability to the pen and especially Weathers can be an example of what it takes to be successful in the long run. Trade for another starting pitcher. I wouldn't. We have 4 quality starters in Harang, Arroyo, Valquez, and Cueto. #5? Battle it out in Spring Training: Rameriz, Thompson, Owens, Bailey, Maloney, Pettyjohn, Livingston. You could use one of those in a trade for a shortstop or power right handed hitter or catcher.

Re: Weathers and Affeldt considered "type B" free agent relievers according to Elias

Reds notebook
    Weathers forecast unclear; Reliever not sure he'll give close-to-home discount for 2009

By John Fay • jfay@enquirer.com • September 18, 2008

David Weathers would like to return to the Reds next year, but he's yet to get an invitation.

"I'd love to come back," he said. "But I don't think they know entirely what direction they're going in. I don't if I'm part of the future or not. I have no clue."

Weathers, a 38-year-old right-hander, is in the final year of the two-year, $5 million he signed in December 2006.

He took less than he may have gotten on the open market because Cincinnati is conveniently close to his Tennessee home. It allows him to spend more time with his wife and children during the season.

He's not sure he'll do that this time around.

"In the past, that's been more of an issue than it will be this coming winter," he said. "I'm down to two more years of playing. In the past, I took a lesser deal here because of the family situation. But I think - this being my last two years - when I sit down and evaluate, I'll go to a place with the best possible chance to win - if that's here, great. In the past, that's been held over my head a little bit."

This is Weathers' fourth straight year for the Reds - bouncing back and forth between closing and setting up. He went 7-4 with a 3.94 ERA and 15 saves in 2005, was 4-4 with a 3.54 ERA and 12 saves in 2006 and went 2-6 with a 3.59 ERA and 33 saves last year. Entering Wednesday, he was 4-6 with a 3.27 ERA as a setup man this year. He's pitched in at least 67 games all four years.

"I've had four good years," he said. "We'll see. I don't know where they stand."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...809180356/1071

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Reds notebook
    Weathers forecast unclear; Reliever not sure he'll give close-to-home discount for 2009

By John Fay • jfay@enquirer.com • September 18, 2008

David Weathers would like to return to the Reds next year, but he's yet to get an invitation.

"I'd love to come back," he said. "But I don't think they know entirely what direction they're going in. I don't if I'm part of the future or not. I have no clue."

Weathers, a 38-year-old right-hander, is in the final year of the two-year, $5 million he signed in December 2006.

He took less than he may have gotten on the open market because Cincinnati is conveniently close to his Tennessee home. It allows him to spend more time with his wife and children during the season.

He's not sure he'll do that this time around.

"In the past, that's been more of an issue than it will be this coming winter," he said. "I'm down to two more years of playing. In the past, I took a lesser deal here because of the family situation. But I think - this being my last two years - when I sit down and evaluate, I'll go to a place with the best possible chance to win - if that's here, great. In the past, that's been held over my head a little bit."

This is Weathers' fourth straight year for the Reds - bouncing back and forth between closing and setting up. He went 7-4 with a 3.94 ERA and 15 saves in 2005, was 4-4 with a 3.54 ERA and 12 saves in 2006 and went 2-6 with a 3.59 ERA and 33 saves last year. Entering Wednesday, he was 4-6 with a 3.27 ERA as a setup man this year. He's pitched in at least 67 games all four years.

"I've had four good years," he said. "We'll see. I don't know where they stand."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...809180356/1071
    I would offer him a year and $3 mil. I really don't want another Mike Stanton situation. Weathers seems like he's always on the verge of fading, but gets it together, so I can't bash the guy. It's playing russian roulette with the guy's arm. I just think he's do for arm problems. When it falls apart, it falls apart FAST. The guy has been Scott Sullivan like, but we saw what happened when eventually he hit the wall. Do we want to risk precious free agent dollars on him?

i'd try to keep weathers for those last two years and for a total of $6-$7 million with the 2nd year an option year.

Weathers has implied he would like to play for a winner. At this stage in their careers, I can't see Affeldt or Weathers wanting to stay here, unless the money is a lot more than other teams are willing to pay them. I also, would like to see them stay with the Reds. I think they are a great asset/tutor for the younger guys, as long as they can still get people out.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Weathers has implied he would like to play for a winner. At this stage in their careers, I can't see Affeldt or Weathers wanting to stay here, unless the money is a lot more than other teams are willing to pay them. I also, would like to see them stay with the Reds. I think they are a great asset/tutor for the younger guys, as long as they can still get people out.
    I disagree. I think most on this team can see they are putting it together and might want to stay and be a part of the turn around next year.

Kinda like Bronson's attitude at the trading deadline. He came out and said he really felt like this team was going to be good and that he wanted to stick around and be a part of it.

For $6 million in salary and 2 1st-round picks I say let them walk. Roenicke and Herrera will step right in.

Turn Off Ads?