Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erik Bedard to undergo surgery to repair torn labrum

Erik Bedard to undergo surgery to repair torn labrum

Per Rotoworld.

Erik Bedard revealed Wednesday that an MRI exam earlier this season showed that he has "a tear in the labrum and a cyst" in his injured left shoulder.
    "We tried rehab and it got better, but it never got good," Bedard said. "The pain was less at times, but I always felt it." Surgery to repair a torn labrum would knock Bedard out for at least half of next season and put his future in question, as the injury typically has a lower success rate for comebacks than Tommy John surgery. With one season of arbitration left before free agency, it's possible that the Mariners could non-tender Bedard during the offseason, in which case they'll have parted with Adam Jones, George Sherrill and three prospects for 81 innings of a 3.67 ERA.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...aspx?sport=Mlb

The decision to not trade Jay Bruce and/or Johnny Cueto for Bedard last offseason is looking like one of the best decisions the Reds have made in a long, long time. Imagine how far that trade would have set the Reds back.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Erik Bedard to undergo surgery to repair torn labrum

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The decision to not trade Jay Bruce and/or Johnny Cueto for Bedard last offseason is looking like one of the best decisions the Reds have made in a long, long time. Imagine how far that trade would have set the Reds back.
    Except that Jay Bruce is a bust.

I agree. That non-trade is looking like a brilliant move at the moment.

The risk of something like this is why I was totally against it from the Reds standpoint. They can't recover from losing that many prospects. In general, markets like ours can't get into these sweepstakes. Looks like Holliday from the Rox is going to be this year's "Bedard" on RZ.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Except that Jay Bruce is a bust.

I agree. That non-trade is looking like a brilliant move at the moment.
    It looked like a brilliant move last January.

By the way, according to Bedard, the injury happened in his very first start as an M. So much for him lacking testosterone.

Bavasi couldn't value him properly in trade and even though he's an expert on intangibles, Bavasi couldn't valuate Bedard's character properly either.

God I hope BB is mostly making Starbucks runs for the guys in the FO.

Shame on the Seattle media too.....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

You can't automatically assume his labrum would have torn had he been pitching for Cincinnati, or St. Louis, or any other team. He would presumably have had different routines, different exercises, different regimens that might have prevented the injury.

Or exacerbated it...
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    You can't automatically assume his labrum would have torn had he been pitching for Cincinnati, or St. Louis, or any other team. He would presumably have had different routines, different exercises, different regimens that might have prevented the injury.

Or exacerbated it...
    That may be so, but I still wouldn't have traded Jay Bruce or Johnny Cueto for Bedard. He's a fine pitcher when healthy but he's not someone I would empty the farm out for.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Bedard turned down long-term deals in Baltimore and Seattle, I think. Oops!!
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Lot of folks here wanted Erik Bedard in the worst kind of way. Happy to say that I wasn't one of them.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

can't remember where the guy that made that trade is working right now...

He is expected to be out 6-9 months.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseba...26_mbok18.html

It also is possible that his career could be over if the surgery goes bad.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 09-19-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    can't remember where the guy that made that trade is working right now...
    I think I remember him taking a job with another ball club a couple of months ago...It was the...oh god.

Oh god!

OH GOD!

Thanks for planting THAT in my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    He is expected to be out 6-9 months.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseba...26_mbok18.html

It also is possible that his career could be over if the surgery goes bad.
    If it's his labrum, it might mean his career is basically over even if the surgery goes right.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post

Or exacerbated it...
    I doubt that a torn labrum happens on one pitch;it's a gradual thing. It would have eventually happened anywhere, IMO.

Agree, Puffy. There had to be some weakness in there.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

What about picking him up now, in a deal similar to what was given Ron Gant in the mid-90's? A salary close to the league minimum for next year, with an option (or two) for the following year(s) at a reasonable salary?

Just a thought.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

Turn Off Ads?