Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detroit looking to trim payroll? Magglio anyone?

Detroit looking to trim payroll? Magglio anyone?

mlbtraderumors is doing a team by team 2009 outlook. Today's team is Detroit. They basically say Detroit is looking to trim payroll and that Magglio might be the one to go. Anyone interested in trading for him? They say he his contract has basically 3 more years at $48 million. Actually might be cheaper than a Holliday, Burrell, or Guerrero, except for giving up players.

In a down year for Detroit, Ordonez currently has a .326 average, .892 OPS, .383 OBP, 20 HR's, 31 doubles, 2 triples, and has struck out only 69 times in 135 games. I bet he'd hit about 5 to 10 more HR's playing in GABP. He's a RH power bat with a good average. Interesting.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/0...son-out-9.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Detroit looking to trim payroll? Magglio anyone?

If Walt could somehow get Detroit topick up say 10-12 million of that contract I'd be all for it. But 16mil. a year is a little steep. I rather pay a younger better Holliday 18 mil. than Ordonez 16 mil. But if the Reds could somehow get him while paying him around 10-12 mil. a year for 3 years not a bad deal at all.

I think Holliday is going to make like $20 million per year. I heard Boras is his agent.

This might not be a bad idea. Because his salary is so big the tigers wont be looking for top talent back. Holliday would cost us half our farm system and 15-20mill a year for 7 years. I dont think theres anyway detroit would pick up any of his salary though. They know that theres enough teams that would take ordonez at that price.

Not a terrible idea, really. Three years at 16 per isn't all that bad either.

I doubt Detroit would be kicking in any money though, and they may be asking for quite a bit. What are their needs? Pitching I suspect?

I may be guilty of confusing the real economy with the baseball economy. Still, it does not seem to be a good time for individuals, corporations, or sports franchises to be taking on debt. It is a good time to stay young and cheap and to avoid digging a hole with long term expensive contracts.

I'd take on Ordonez contract and give them Bailey. That is about it.

I just think the other big bats available will either cost too much in free agency or AS MUCH as Ordonez. Or they will cost alot of money and require too much in trade, such as Holliday. In fact, Ordonez is like an older Holliday. Hits for some power but hits for average too. Ordonez has been pretty consistent with his numbers each year too. I guess the word would be "proven".

I'd be for it as long as Detroit didn't require alot in return. They'd be smart to trade him to the NL so they didn't have to face him.

I would like to have Magglio for a year or two. he is getting older and may be in the declining years.

MLBTR says that the Reds are a good fit for Magglio.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/0...n-revie-2.html

The best part is that they seem to assume that it won't take much to get him, at least none of the foundation of Bruce, Votto, EE, Phillips, Volquez, Harang or Cueto.

He has averaged an .884 OPS playing in one the biggest pitchers park in the majors. He would easily match Dunn's OPS playing in GAPB. If you are worried about his age, he actually has gotten better these last two years. He may not be as productive during his third year, but I would gladly take two productuve years, and worry about his third year when it come.

He also is exactly the kind of player that Jocketty loves to acquire. A veteran slugger whose team doesn't want to pay anymore.

If I could get Magglio Ordonez for say Homer Bailey and Paul Janish, I'd do it without blinking.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I'd love to see Magglio as a Red but only a two year deal at most. I'm still kicking myself for dropping him from my mlb.com fantasy team last year when he started off slowly because he tore it up not long after I dropped him and I lost tons of potential points. D'oh!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Ordonez might be a good fit but it depends how he likes GABP. His numbers dropped quite a bit outside of Comerica for the Tigers.

i wonder if the economy could have have a ripple effect to pro sports teams like the reds ...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/c...are&id=3622898

(since this thread had to do with team payrolls it seemed like an appropriate place for this)
    Last edited by redsfandan; 10-03-2008 at 05:04 PM.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I'd like to see it but doesn't it seem like the type of addition in which he'd come here, bring a lot of headlines initially and put on the Reds uniform and end up playing 54 games for us..... and an excuse for why we failed? I dont know it just seems like it wouldn't work out
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I think it would work ( think positive )
    Last edited by BEETTLEBUG; 10-04-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Turn Off Ads?