Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Run-D.M.C., Metallica nominated for "Rock" Hall of Fame

Run-D.M.C., Metallica nominated for "Rock" Hall of Fame

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26838012/

Apparently, having a few songs that had some guitar in them now qualifies you to get in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

Also nominated were guitarist Jeff Beck, singer Wanda Jackson, Little Anthony and the Imperials, War, Bobby Womack, and disco and R&B group Chic

Yet Bon Jovi and Stevie Ray Vaughn don't get nominated...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Run-D.M.C., Metallica nominated for "Rock" Hall of Fame

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is about more than just who writes the best music. It's not like sports where you can quantify whether they deserve to be a Hall of Famer by strictly looking at stats.

Both Run-DMC and Metallica are a couple of the biggest names in the history of their genres. Run-DMC were practically pioneers for making rap music what it was at the time.

I don't like Metallica, but there is no denying their presence and their influence on the music industry.

Both of these groups should and will be honored in the Hall of Fame.

I think Bon Jovi will be there as well.

For the record, you forgot to mention the Stooges. Definately one of the best punk bands of all time.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26838012/

Apparently, having a few songs that had some guitar in them now qualifies you to get in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

Also nominated were guitarist Jeff Beck, singer Wanda Jackson, Little Anthony and the Imperials, War, Bobby Womack, and disco and R&B group Chic

Yet Bon Jovi and Stevie Ray Vaughn don't get nominated...
    Has it been 25 years since each of their 1st albums?

I thought that was some sorta criteria.

Run DMC's first album came out in 1984, so they are hitting it exactly at 25 years.

Metallica's first album came out in 1983.

Interestingly enough, Bon Jovi's first album also came out in 1984, but I'm guessing they are spacing them out. They seem to only do a couple of feature acts each year, and then a bunch of smaller artists. I would be shocked if Bon Jovi isn't nominated next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jmble View Post
    The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is about more than just who writes the best music. It's not like sports where you can quantify whether they deserve to be a Hall of Famer by strictly looking at stats.

Both Run-DMC and Metallica are a couple of the biggest names in the history of their genres. Run-DMC were practically pioneers for making rap music what it was at the time.

I don't like Metallica, but there is no denying their presence and their influence on the music industry.

Both of these groups should and will be honored in the Hall of Fame.
    Didn't mean to make it seem like I thought Metallica didn't belong, just Run DMC....they're not rock and roll, they're rap.

Metallica definitely deserves to be there, they were one of the pioneers of the tv/video/internet (at least suing the internet ) age!
    Last edited by freestyle55; 09-22-2008 at 02:28 PM.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by jmble View Post
    Run DMC's first album came out in 1984, so they are hitting it exactly at 25 years.

Metallica's first album came out in 1983.

Interestingly enough, Bon Jovi's first album also came out in 1984, but I'm guessing they are spacing them out. They seem to only do a couple of feature acts each year, and then a bunch of smaller artists. I would be shocked if Bon Jovi isn't nominated next year.
    That makes the most sense.

They don't want to load up HOF classes in 1 year, and then have a marginal class the next year.

I'm the king of rock, there is none higher
    Sucker MC's should call me sire
    To burn my kingdom, you must use fire
    I won't stop rockin' till I retire
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

While I agree with you Freestyle that Run DMC does not fall into the category of Rock and Roll, if you look at the inductees currently in the Hall that you could argue shouldn't be considered as Rock and Roll. Grandmaster Flash, Issac Hayes, Earth Wind and Fire, just to name a few that jumped out at me. James Taylor? I really think that the museum has turned into just a celebration of the biggest names in popular music, more than just Rock and Roll. Anything that falls into the Rock/Rap/R&B genre appears to be included. And by the standards they have previously used, I do believe Run DMC belongs in the Hall of Fame. And I believe we will see others follow as the years pass, such as Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, BIG, and others....

At least they aren't diving into country yet.

Metallica should be in the hall of lame

If the Rock and Roll HOF does not include other genre's of music then in 20+ years there will no one worthy of induction. Even though Neal Young sang otherwise rock and roll has pretty much died.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Metallica should be in the hall of lame
    I could care less if you like or dislike Metallica, or even think they are lame. There really wasn't any need to make your immature post.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I could care less if you like or dislike Metallica, or even think they are lame. There really wasn't any need to make your immature post.

Senor Votto

Shouldn't they just call it the Music Hall of Fame? I don't understand how most of the bands in there can be considered rock n roll

Of course Run DMC, Metallica and the Stooges should be in. The Stooges are the only ones I have listened to extensively - but I have so much respect for the other two.
    Meanwhile, no love for the godfathers of independence rock, Sonic Youth? Humbug!

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Of course Run DMC, Metallica and the Stooges should be in. The Stooges are the only ones I have listened to extensively - but I have so much respect for the other two.
    Meanwhile, no love for the godfathers of independence rock, Sonic Youth? Humbug!
    Independence Rock? Is that anything like Freedom Rock? :

Run DMC has had quite a bit of influence on modern rock music, as have Metallica and especially the Stooges. Sonic Youth is certainly worthy as one of the major drivers of alternative-independent rock and I would put Devo in there as well.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?