Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corey Patterson versus our other CF's this year

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Corey Patterson versus our other CF's this year

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Maybe Dickerson isn't in the team's plans for CF next year. Maybe Walt sees him as a reserve outfielder and plans to go outside the organization for a full-time centerfielder for '09. I don't know. Just guessing.
    Could be a good guess, but reality says he is very likely to see at least SOME time in CF next year. Patterson on the other side isn't likely to see time in the majors next year. So even if you are right, which you could be, Patterson in CF when Dickerson is in the lineup still makes little sense, until you see who fills out the lineup card.

2. Turn Off Ads?

You're convinced Patterson won't be back next year? I wish I had your optimism.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

You're convinced Patterson won't be back next year? I wish I had your optimism.
    I am pretty convinced. Jocketty and Baker both value defense, and CF is extremely important. That said he should have Dickerson and Freel at the major league level and Stubbs at AAA if something happens to where they need someone to step in. I really, REALLY hope thats enough to keep from bringing Patterson back.

I will say this, I would much rather have Corey Patterson back next season than Paul Bako. At least Patterson can actually contribute to a club by playing great defense. Paul Bako can't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am pretty convinced. Jocketty and Baker both value defense, and CF is extremely important. That said he should have Dickerson and Freel at the major league level and Stubbs at AAA if something happens to where they need someone to step in. I really, REALLY hope thats enough to keep from bringing Patterson back.
    I agree with you. That's probably plenty. Although Freel is an injury risk and Dickerson is still somewhat of an unknown. I'm simply not convinced Dusty won't ask Walt to bring him back...because of his defense. I'm probably just jaded.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I will say this, I would much rather have Corey Patterson back next season than Paul Bako. At least Patterson can actually contribute to a club by playing great defense. Paul Bako can't do anything.
    Dude, he handles the pitching staff.

Bako, Valentin, Patterson, Andy Phillips, Majewski, and Fogg ... those are the six guys I'd be kicking to the curb immediately this offseason, no questions asked.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Bako, Valentin, Patterson, Andy Phillips, Majewski, and Fogg ... those are the six guys I'd be kicking to the curb immediately this offseason, no questions asked.
    Agreed 100%. All six of those guys should be gone but I just have a feeling we'll see a guy like Phillips or Valentin back. I hope not though. Adam Rosales will be an upgrade over either of those two.

Agreed 100%. All six of those guys should be gone but I just have a feeling we'll see a guy like Phillips or Valentin back. I hope not though. Adam Rosales will be an upgrade over either of those two.
    There really is no reason for Valentin to be back. None. I can see a guy like Phillips coming back though. Guys like that always find a spot on someone's bench. Versatile, don't suck at the plate, you know the line.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Patterson ranks #1030 out of 1031 players in VORP. Ouch!

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/st...php?cid=408778

I wonder how he ranks all-time with players having 370+ PA's in one season. It has to be close to the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Didn't Freel have a pretty major injury? I don't think we can count on him being effective next year.

I am not defending Patterson, or hoping he comes back. However, if the team has faith in Dickerson, then they need someone to cover CF next year in a backup role. So, it will be someone like Patterson in all likelyhood.
    Of course, I am hoping they go outside the organization and get a legit CF, but that is a tall order. Maybe that's what Walt is hoping to do, and that's why Dickerson has been in LF. Walt and Dusty have been stressing the importance of improving the Defense. Adding a legit CF and having Dickerson in LF does that.

Or perhaps they see Dickerson only as a backup. I don't know.

I am curious to see if we try to retain Harriston or not.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I am curious to see if we try to retain Harriston or not.
    I'm pretty sure Hairston will be back. Dusty hinted at it during an interview the other day. I'm curious to see if the Reds view Hairston as a starter or a utility bench player.

I'm pretty sure Hairston will be back. Dusty hinted at it during an interview the other day. I'm curious to see if the Reds view Hairston as a starter or a utility bench player.
    I want Hairston back in some role for the right price. I don't think anyone wants to give him a LTC.

I have predicted Brandon Phillips goes this offseason. Hairston could play 2B ( his natural position ) with Valaika in AAA to start 2009. IF the Reds feel Valaika can't play SS defensively in the bigs then a decision will have to be made if/when his bat is ready.
    If BP stays Hairston could play CF vs LHP and fill in elsewhere as a supersub.

Dusty addresses the rumor, Volquez finished
    Posted by JohnFay at 9/24/2008 5:27 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Dusty Baker finally had enough. When players on the Astros asked him about his daughter dating Corey Patterson, he felt the need to publicly address the issue. Baker has heard the rumor for weeks. There's no truth to it. Natosha is not dating to Patterson.

"She hasn't even been to Cincinnati," Baker said. "This is so far out of line. It's hurtful to my wife and daughter. How can people stoop that low? I don't know who started it. But I've been hearing from fans, players, announcers."

Patterson has been the fans' whipping boy all season. He hasn't hit. His average was .203 going into Wednesday. Wayne Krivsky said after he was fired that CEO Bob Castellini has told him to get the Patterson deal done. The inference being that Baker was behind in the signing. Patterson played for Baker in Chicago.

But Baker asked: "Who am I to get someone a job like that?"

Baker also pointed out that Patterson's playing time is largely due to injuries and trades.

"Who else was I supposed to play the last two or three months? (Adam) Dunn and (Ken) Griffey are gone. Jerry Hairston's been hurt. Chris Dickerson was hurt."

Patterson was sent to Louisville in late May, but he was recalled June 4 when Ryan Freel went on the DL with a hamstring problem.

Patterson heard the rumor, too.

"I addressed it with him briefly," Baker said.

VOLQUEZ OUT: Edinson Volquez will not make Sunday's start. He has a sore knee. Left-hander Adam Pettyjohn will start instead.

"If (Volquez) could pitch, he would," Baker said. "But he's had a very good very."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Yep, Hariston will be back because of the Reds winning record when he plays (as if somehow he is the sole reason why the Reds won those games).

Patterson will be back because "Dude, he just had an off year. When I played we had to fight for our positions. Hank said a dude needs 3 years on the field to prove himself".

Bako *might* be back because he "handles the pitching staff" so well. That's baring a pick-up of a totally new name. Otherwise, they will need his "vetran presence" behind the dish to "work with the young pitchers" and make sure someone is "calling a good game". Doesn't hurt that he "plays the game the right way" and "respects the game". What's that? His numbers at the plate? Oh, don't you worry yourself about those. He "knows how the game is supposed to be played".
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 09-25-2008 at 07:32 AM.

Turn Off Ads?